Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the hell that was our schedule, we still are only 4 points off of top 4 (if we win against Burnley). This experiment isn't funny anymore. Koeman needs to get it together and get some results. Coleman and Bolasie will be back in months. We will have a striker in January. Get the results and at least give us a chance ffs. Don't throw the season away because you're simply to stubborn to see reason.

After the hell that was our schedule, we still are only 4 points off of top 4 (if we win against Burnley). This experiment isn't funny anymore. Koeman needs to get it together and get some results. Coleman and Bolasie will be back in months. We will have a striker in January. Get the results and at least give us a chance ffs. Don't throw the season away because you're simply to stubborn to see reason.

What is reason?

You clearly have all the answers, lets hear them?

Koeman has currently tried loads of things and sadly not many of them have worked, he has spoken about the team being scared, the game the other day he was screaming at the players to play further forward. If he was picking the same players every week I could see the justification in the amount of rage, but hes not.

GOT is home to around roughly, without checking 30k Everton fans, thats 30k different teams that people would pick, yet everybody wants the manager to pick THEIR side and if he doesnt they will stamp their feet and SCREAM and SCREAM till they get their way or he gets sacked.

I agree, we need to pick up some results, but sadly the squad is what it is till January and as you say, hopefully we can give ourselves a fighting chance till then at least.

What is reason?

Koeman has currently tried loads of things and sadly not many of them have worked, he has spoken about the team being scared, the game the other day he was screaming at the players to play further forward. If he was picking the same players every week I could see the justification in the amount of rage, but hes not.

GOT is home to around roughly, without checking 30k Everton fans, thats 30k different teams that people would pick, yet everybody wants the manager to pick THEIR side and if he doesnt they will stamp their feet and SCREAM and SCREAM till they get their way or he gets sacked.

I agree, we need to pick up some results, but sadly the squad is what it is till January and as you say, hopefully we can give ourselves a fighting chance till then at least.
Simply use width and stop shoehorning number tens into the lineup. Also- stop getting into tiffs with players and exiling whatever talent we have left. And play Vlasic

He needs to pick, or fall over by chance, a team selection which actually looks like a balanced eleven. I'm sure he's in no danger of losing his job at the moment, but he'll be aware that things need to change over the next few months.

What is reason?

He has tried loads of things? Last time I checked he always shoehorns number tens and gives us no width... Swapping Sandro, Calvert-Lewin and Rooney at forward and calling it 3 different lineups is not 'trying something new.' Trying something new is dropping one of the defensive mids or playing an actual winger on the pitch. Trying something new is playing with 2 strikers (which last time I checked worked for us quite well).

He has tried loads of things? Last time I checked he always shoehorns number tens and gives us no width... Swapping Sandro, Calvert-Lewin and Rooney at forward and calling it 3 different lineups is not 'trying something new.' Trying something new is dropping one of the defensive mids or playing an actual winger on the pitch. Trying something new is playing with 2 strikers (which last time I checked worked for us quite well).

Hes done all the above, we only played with 1 DM on Thursday and played 2 upfront, for example.

Hes done all the above, we only played with 1 DM on Thursday and played 2 upfront, for example.
But question- did he sacrifice a number 10? No, he brought another one onto the field. He was the architect of his own demise there. To add to this he should have started that way (with the exception of the number 10's

I'm sure Koeman will get until at least Christmas, given the circumstances of many new signings and missing out on other signings.

Surely he doesn't have a free pass though, and you would imagine concerns are being expressed internally, if not directly to Koeman.

As a fanbase and a club our slide into mediocrity and acceptance of such has also made us into a very conservative, risk-averse lot, afraid of change.

Nobody wants to hire and fire and go through managers every other season but when circumstances warrant it, clubs with ambition act.

It certainly hasn't done the likes of Spurs and Chelsea any harm. Spurs in particular had to go through a lot of change to arrive at Pochettino, and even that was a measured risk.

People associate change with risk, fair enough, but it doesn't always have to mean a pre-determined negative outcome. Being bold and decisive can bring rewards.

We have a decent enough squad and I don't accept that we would be in danger of free fall under a new manager, be that Unsworth or otherwise.

The idea of Unsworth until next May therefore is becoming more appealing to me, when in the interim the club can take its time evaluating interest and candidates, or indeed Unsworth himself may prove equal to the task.

But a free pass for Koeman, I say no and never, and things need to change and improve bloody rapidly.

For me it's not is RK good enough for more mediocrity, but if we can attract better, we go out and get whomever that may be.

I think you are spot on but what worries me is that even if we had got his first choice centre forward we would still be pedestrian , lack width, be woeful at defending and trying to shoehorn four no.10's into the team.

Sadly I think RK has lost the respect of the players and unless he stops publicly blaming them and starts making tough but sensible selection decisions we will continue on a downward spirral.

If your buildup is simultaneously slow and you can't keep possession, it's a recipe for disaster. Get the team moving. Add some speed and limit yourself to 1 paceless slug.

Espnfc often produces quality articles.

It's time for a stubborn Ronald Koeman to change course, system at Everton

When Everton welcome Burnley to Goodison Park on Sunday, there can be no room for the litany of excuses offered up in the aftermath of a disappointing draw against 10-man Apollon Limassol on Thursday. No English team has begun the Europa League group stage with fewer points after two games.

Another poor European outing and two wins in nine matches in all competitions adds pressure ahead of a fourth successive home game this weekend. A considerable change of tactics seems imperative with manager Ronald Koeman gradually morphing into a carbon copy of his predecessor at present.

Both Roberto Martinez and Koeman built early optimism with words and actions, freshening up the style of play and recording encouraging debut seasons that seemingly setting the foundations for future success. Unfortunately, similarities between the two extend to their respective second seasons. In refusing to bend from stagnating principles, Koeman is showing the same stubbornness that contributed to Martinez's downfall. Those previously punchy sound bites are also growing tiresome.

Koeman attracted praise for his forthright approach in his first term, exhibiting a clarity and honesty when commenting on individual or collective underperformance. As scrutiny switches to the manager, however, those same traits are gone. In the aftermath of Thursday's 2-2 draw, liability fell on injuries, individual errors and players scared to play football. While those aspects may form part of the bigger picture, the recurring theme at the centre of this troubled start is the inflexibility of the man in the dugout. Supporters can see straight through the meek justifications and finger-pointing in other directions.

Everton had eight first-team players absent for their Europa League match, but with the exception of Oumar Niasse, a player who only returned to first-team contention once the transfer window ended, Koeman had the same squad on Thursday as the 2-1 win against Bournemouth six days earlier. Absentees cannot excuse the failure to dispatch organised but limited opponents.

Refusal to shift from a narrow and broken setup undermines Koeman's ongoing and perplexing defence of his team selection and chosen creative options. Rotation occurs only between a small pool of players, while those potentially able to add unpredictability or inject pace and width mostly warm the bench or fail to even make the matchday squad.

Koeman has gone to great lengths to highlight how often the ball moves backwards but neglects to address the reasoning behind it. If there is caution and wilting confidence within this team, it stems from a rigid and unbalanced system that causes chaos at both ends of the pitch.

i

The flaws attached to these tactics are evident in the numerous early substitutions made this season. A half-time change in six of the last 11 matches in all competitions explains a manager frequently having to rectify the failings of his starting XI. However, any hope of those interventions heralding a turning point dissipates once team news breaks for the next match and the same tactics and personnel resume.

A withering summary of confusing summer recruitment is how Everton presently look better with less of their big-money signings on the pitch. The use of too many similar players at the expense of those actually impressing continues to hold the team back, and midfielder Tom Davies is a prime example of this obstinate approach. Davies injected life into the team last season after a run of one win in 11 matches from September to December. Upon starting a 3-0 home win against Southampton in January, Davies featured in all 20 remaining matches in all competitions, starting all bar one of them.

Along with other less-heralded members of the squad, the 19-year-old midfielder faces a similar challenge as the overuse of more expensive but underperforming alternatives limit his involvement. The irony of the mishandling of Davies and shoehorning of others into the starting XI is that the young midfielder offers the dynamic style and proactive approach that Koeman is demanding from his players.

Nikola Vlasic has also demonstrated his potential in several displays, adding width and invention to an otherwise one-paced midfield. His introduction against Apollon on the left with Gylfi Sigurdsson moving into his preferred No. 10 role stood as two of the plus points on the night.

The hope is that these fleeting positives eventually become permanent solutions rather than occasional acts of desperation surfacing to rescue matches. When there is width, mobility, and players in their preferred positions, Everton offer signs of the quality expected from a team beginning the season with big aspirations.

This situation calls for accountability and lessons learned, but only excuses exist at this point. Koeman bizarrely talks like a man watching Everton from a distance, one unable to influence the things going wrong, but these are his players struggling with his stifling tactics. Fixing this is entirely his responsibility.

BY TONY EVANS

Source: http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/everto...tubborn-ronald-koeman-to-change-course-system

What is reason?

One problem is he keeps playing shneiderline And Gueye, 2 defensive mids even against weaker teams. That's plus at least 2 of Rooney, klassen, Sig means we set up pretty much to park the bus in every game.

Another one....

Koeman can kiss goodbye to top level jobs unless he fixes Everton woes

Something about Ronald Koeman has never sat right at Goodison Park. The Dutchman does not seem to understand the culture of Everton, a place where the "School of Science" self-image still lingers.

Koeman, in the style of many of his fellow countrymen, is confident. Some would say arrogant to the point of smugness. It can rub people up the wrong way. His move from Southampton to Merseyside in 2016 seemed like a stepping stone to better things. The message, never explicitly stated, was that his three-year contract was a vehicle to create other opportunities. The 54-year-old's ambitions stretch way beyond Everton.

If you bring Dutch swagger off the pitch, the team needs to reflect that in games -- but the Blues have not lived up to expectations under their manager and the sceptics around Goodison are waiting for the Dutchman's influence to bear fruit. In his first season, they were willing to give him the grudging benefit of the doubt. After a summer spending spree of £140 million, the mood is hardening.

Koeman was one of the greatest defenders in the game's history. As a player he followed the Johan Cruyff route from Ajax to Barcelona (via PSV Eindhoven). There was always a suspicion he imagined Goodison was a staging post back to the Camp Nou. Evertonians could live with that. They needed to see signs of progression after Roberto Martinez's disappointing spell in charge.

Koeman's first season was just about passable. This time last year, Everton went on a run of just one win in 11 matches. The mutterings against Koeman were building until an unbeaten spell of nine Premier League matches after Christmas turned things around.

After the summer's rebuilding, much more was expected but the team look worse now than in Koeman's first campaign. The summer arrivals deepened the squad and engendered optimism but selling Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United left the side without a cutting edge. Lukaku was not admired by some fans -- they thought that his first touch was dubious and his work rate disappointing -- but hindsight is exposing that myth. The failure to replace the Belgian has left Everton toothless; Sandro Ramirez is still coming to terms with the English game but even if he fulfils expectations, the Spaniard is no Lukaku.

i

Everton have suffered a dip in form under Ronald Koeman, picking up just two wins in nine in all competitions.
There are problems elsewhere, too. Koeman has not addressed the team's lack of pace. Speed is not quite everything in the Premier League but quickness and power can mask deficiencies in skill and technique. Everton are ponderous. They are slow at the back and lack explosiveness up front. They are pedestrian in the middle. They are largely comfortable in possession by pose little threat to opponents.

Koeman's team selection has given ammunition to his critics. The shape of the side has left observers bewildered. Against Apollon Limassol, Gylfi Sigurdsson, the club's record £45 million signing, started on the left but he has been much more effective in a central role. The home team were too narrow -- a recurring problem this season -- even though there were three wingers on the bench. Everton's full-backs provided width last season but Seamus Coleman is recovering from a broken leg and Leighton Baines, at 32, has been less mobile and more cautious during the first part of this campaign.

Often, players are deployed in positions that do not suit them. The use of Dominic Calvert-Lewin at wing-back is as desperate as it is confusing. Even so, the 20-year-old forward has been one of the few bright spots for the team so far.

It has been a tough start to the season. A 1-1 draw away to Manchester City produced some optimism but conceding nine goals without reply to Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United punctured the club's top-four aspirations. The 3-0 defeat to Atalanta in the Europa League was a wake-up call and now, drawing 2-2 against Apollon at home has set off alarm bells at Goodison.

Almost half way into his "project" on Merseyside, Koeman still does not seem to grasp the mood of the club. He is often clearly angry at the team's performance but his demeanour is still a little detached. Last season's revival after Christmas was sparked by the energy of Tom Davies and freeing up Ross Barkley to express his attacking instincts. Davies has fallen down the pecking order as Koeman has tried to accommodate newcomers Sigurdsson, Davy Klaassen and Wayne Rooney; Barkley is injured and running down his contract.

But the manager never really had faith in either homegrown player's ability. Davies was touted around on loan at the tail end of 2016 and Koeman's exasperation with Barkley was obvious.

It was never realistic to believe that Everton could crash the top four -- they are at least two years and countless millions in transfer fees away from contending at the top of the table -- yet they are underperforming. Their Europa League campaign could represent a shortcut to the Champions League but at the moment, it looks like they may not even reach the knockout stage.

Koeman needs to correct things quickly but he is running out of time. If he cannot, Everton will not be a stepping stone but a gravestone for his ambitions to manage one of Europe's top clubs.

By Tony Evans

I agree that the fixtures haven't been kind to us at the start of the season but I think what people are getting annoyed/anxious about is the fact that we don't even seem to have any idea of what we are supposed to be doing. It feels like it did when Martinez was near to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back