Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
4782373-e1474276170841.jpg

Koeman : (laughs hysterically) ..."Belgium eh, what are they like?"

We have to trust Koeman's judgement with regards to the handling of Barkley, and his media comments. So far, our results and performances hold up to any scrutiny of Koeman.

Agree with comments that he could also have "called out" Mirallas off the back of the last two games, but he was responding directly to questions of Barkley's subbing vs Sunderland so it was probably inevitable that Sky and others would raise it again at the weekend. Mirallas might well be dropped for the Bournemouth game, but off the back of such a good run of results, I wouldn't expect it.

I hope Barkley, for the next few weeks in particular, is just able to keep his head down and achieve a reasonable level of consistency, as I would think that further attention drawn to him would probably have an adverse effect. I did think he looked uncomfortable in the post-match interview on Saturday, but he had a decent game overall without contributing anything spectacular. He needs to work on focus and concentration most, I would not see any issue with effort on his part and he most certainly has ability in bucket loads.

I don't think Koeman has any agenda against Barkley - he has started in all the games and by any objective standard against Sunderland he was poor and seemed to lose focus/concentration early on. He may though, hold him to a higher standard than Mirallas and others as his natural ability surpasses most of the squad? (certainly of Mirallas in my view).

You want effort and commitment as a given from all players, even if you have a team of 11 yard-dogs. Barkley is facing the most pivotal years of his career where he will either stagnate or improve. He can be either a decent player or a great one, but either way, I would prefer to have Koeman to learn from than Martinez. He is infinately better off under Koeman's management in that respect.

I don't expect Koeman to have to be in a position where he gives Barkley such direct criticism on a regular basis. If that was necessary, he will be out of the team anyway. As it stands, if it serves to keep him focused and consistent, a little bit of applied pressure won't do any harm in the long run, and will in fact benefit him. Koeman was a player at the highest levels too, let's not forget.

Another year under El Coco and Barkley's goose would've well and truly been cooked. And of course you're right in your analysis of Martinez's shortcomings but to call those who remain blind to these, "divvies", is not totally true...

...they're absolute divvies

1 or 2 knives being sharpened already for Ron, looking for something to criticize. sad to see. wonder what it will be like when he actually makes a proper mistake, outrage probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back