Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 or 2 knives being sharpened already for Ron, looking for something to criticize. sad to see. wonder what it will be like when he actually makes a proper mistake, outrage probably.
Cannot believe any blues are unhappy with Koeman. Settled the ship for you and has a calmness about him. Some people are like the woman who complained when she was given a 12 inch diamond encrusted dildo and whinged that she preferred emeralds.

Argumentative race the Dutch

As a footballing nation they have fielded some of the greatest teams you could put together,
but they always seem to find something to argue about which causes unrest in the camp.
Roy Keane would of been perfect for them

It's like a badge of honour with them as far as I can tell. The only one as far as I can make out who got any respect was a genius like Rinus Michels...and some of them probably called him rubbish too.

It's like a badge of honour with them as far as I can tell. The only one as far as I can make out who got any respect was a genius like Rinus Michels...and some of them probably called him rubbish too.

Not comparing Koeman to Michels for managerial achievements, but interesting that they both have/had an authoritarian streak in common with the flip side of enjoying a joke at times.

Have not heard Koeman speak of who his influences in management are, but surely Michels features prominently. What a great coach. Arguably the best ever.

The Dutch are just far more direct and don't suffer fools to the extent that is noticeable elsewhere. Having a European Championship winners medal with Holland coupled with the sheer extent of his playing/managing career in his homeland, Koeman probably feels more entitled than most to air his views.

Not comparing Koeman to Michels for managerial achievements, but interesting that they both have/had an authoritarian streak in common with the flip side of enjoying a joke at times.

Have not heard Koeman speak of who his influences in management are, but surely Michels features prominently. What a great coach. Arguably the best ever.

The Dutch are just far more direct and don't suffer fools to the extent that is noticeable elsewhere. Having a European Championship winners medal with Holland coupled with the sheer extent of his playing/managing career in his homeland, Koeman probably feels more entitled than most to air his views.
Was he a disciplinarian? I read loads on the Dutch 1974 team he coached and they were all partying during the tournament it seemed.

Was he a disciplinarian? I read loads on the Dutch 1974 team he coached and they were all partying during the tournament it seemed.

Piet Keizer, the Ajax winger, remembered his training sessions as "the hardest I ever had; sometimes we did four a day." It was Michels who introduced the Dutch to the Italian concept of sequestering the team in a hotel before a game so that the players could be entirely focused on the task in front of them.

He was known as "The General" for his style and approach to management. I did read a book written about him many years ago and a bit fuzzy on the specifics but I can remember the general tone of it being that he was very demanding and precise when it came to football but known to appreciate the brighter and funnier side of things when it was appropriate. He had a bit of a split personality I recall, quite naturally a loner but then uncharacteristically more ebullient when the circumstances suited.

We have gone from Moyes being Dour, Mrtinez being ultra positive to Koeman who has a more pragmatic and realistical approach.
It's a fair amount of change for us simple Blues:)

Piet Keizer, the Ajax winger, remembered his training sessions as "the hardest I ever had; sometimes we did four a day." It was Michels who introduced the Dutch to the Italian concept of sequestering the team in a hotel before a game so that the players could be entirely focused on the task in front of them.
Ok. My mistake. I think there was an incident from that WC and I assumed away.

You can almost argue that koemans playing/managerial career eclipses our entire history for trophies and honours. He demands respect and damn well deserves it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back