Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Record English goalscorer, 3 goals away from being Uniteds, he would open doors.

Honestly Zat, I really do not understand your obsession with youth, I mean when I play FM, I do it, I lower the ages of most players and buy ALL the wonderkids, in a game it works, when I know the PA of the players, their adaptability it works. You want to keep a group of players who stay together and win the lot, its what I always do in FM.

But in the real world, young players are inconsistent, young players have massive unchecked egos, some young players dont adapt to new leagues, some young players dont have the required mental or physical strength to play in this league. Thats why Ronny normally favours the over 25s.

Yep yep.

To be honest we've been crying out for a rounded, complete striker to finish off chances as we have a young and inconsistent forward line.

Ron seems very upset about our forward line and he has a right to be, especially since spending £30mill to add to more inconsistency.

Option B would be great, but for it to work you really need these youngsters to come through together. You unearth a centre mid, he becomes a regular. Great. Following year you unearth a winger, he becomes a regular. Great. Continue this cycle, ignoring the fact that these young players will be inconsistent because, well, they're young, you'll never get a starting 11 from it. Players will move on, some won't be able to maintain it at the top level etc.

What we need is a blend of young players, like lukaku, Barkley and delofeu and older players like Williams, Baines, jags etc.

I'm not bothered about bringing Rooney back, but I can see the logic in it

I think the right approach would be to buy 2 top u21 players each summer. It may be that theyre on the bench and gradually brought through but after 3 seasons thats half a team of 23/24 year olds like spurs have done.

I believe we are two/three top players away from challenging for the top 4 either this season or next. We need to remain in touch until January.

I believe we are two/three top players away from challenging for the top 4 either this season or next. We need to remain in touch until January.

Yes but as we improve so do the teams above and below

The key is us adding quality without losing a big hitter like Lukaku

I think the right approach would be to buy 2 top u21 players each summer. It may be that theyre on the bench and gradually brought through but after 3 seasons thats half a team of 23/24 year olds like spurs have done.

Making a big assumption they're all good enough/still here/first choice

Top u21s would be good enough...even if one was sold every couple of years, thats 4 or 5 top players...

Its not tho is it.

Its a gamble on 2 players every summer, if picking up young talent was as easy as you say it, why doesnt everybody do it?

City paid 46m for Sane and 47.5m for Stones, its gonna be 2 maybe 3 years before they start looking like football players.

But just to highlight the risks in buying young players, I know these lads are a little young, but it shows to a degree the strike rate in buying young players.

Here is a list of the U17 England squad from 2010.

Hardly a massive amount of top level players there.

1 GK Sam Johnstone 24 March 1993 (aged 17) 13 Manchester United
2 MF Bruno Pilatos 3 March 1993 (aged 17) 15 Middlesbrough
3 DF Luke Garbutt 21 May 1993 (aged 16) 20 Everton
4 MF Conor Coady 25 February 1993 (aged 17) 13 Liverpool
5 DF Nathaniel Chalobah 15 December 1994 (aged 15) 13 Chelsea
6 DF Andre Wisdom 9 May 1993 (aged 17) 10 Liverpool
7 FW Will Keane 11 January 1993 (aged 17) 11 Manchester United
8 MF George Thorne 4 January 1993 (aged 17) 14 West Bromwich Albion
9 FW Benik Afobe 12 February 1993 (aged 17) 19 Arsenal
10 FW Saido Berahino 4 August 1993 (aged 16) 1 West Bromwich Albion
11 FW Robert Hall 20 October 1993 (aged 16) 11 West Ham United
12 DF Ben Gibson 15 January 1993 (aged 17) 3 Middlesbrough
13 GK Jack Butland 10 March 1993 (aged 17) 6 Birmingham City
14 DF Tom Thorpe 13 January 1993 (aged 17) 4 Manchester United
15 MF Josh McEachran 1 March 1993 (aged 17) 8 Chelsea
16 MF Ross Barkley 5 December 1993 (aged 16) 2 Everton
17 FW Connor Wickham 31 March 1993 (aged 17) 9 Ipswich Town
18 MF Luke Williams 11 June 1993 (aged 16) 2 Middlesbrough

So as it stands still in the European places (sixth), 2nd best defence in the league, game in hand on most of the teams in the league.

All this on the back of an alleged failure of a transfer window.

A quarter of the way into the season.

I'd of taken that.

:coffee:

So as it stands still in the European places (sixth), 2nd best defence in the league, game in hand on most of the teams in the league.

I'd of taken that.

The transfer window was a failure Ian.

Dress it up as much as you like, but it was BAD.

It wasnt a write off, but we didnt get the bodies we needed.

If you think Enner freaking Valencia was good business, well, LOL.

Stickleback replaced Howard
Williams replaced Stones
Bolasie replaced Pienaar
Gana was the only player we bought to "improve" the squad

Plus we failed to get rid of the massive amount of utter shitters we have hanging around like a bad smell.

I'd of taken that.

That's exactly how I'm thinking it mate. Big game tomorrow though just to hang onto the coat tails of those above as I'm not too confident that we will get anything away against Chelsea. A win tomorrow and it ain't been a bad start at all.

The transfer window was a failure Ian.

Dress it up as much as you like, but it was BAD.

It wasnt a write off, but we didnt get the bodies we needed.

If you think Enner freaking Valencia was good business, well, LOL.

Stickleback replaced Howard
Williams replaced Stones
Bolasie replaced Pienaar
Gana was the only player we bought to "improve" the squad

Plus we failed to get rid of the massive amount of utter shitters we have hanging around like a bad smell.
Oh Goat.

That's exactly how I'm thinking it mate. Big game tomorrow though just to hang onto the coat tails of those above as I'm not too confident that we will get anything away against Chelsea. A win tomorrow and it ain't been a bad start at all.
We've done well against the top teams, only club in England to take the lead V Spurs and City this season and lose neither.

We've done well against the top teams, only club in England to take the lead V Spurs and City this season and lose neither.

Aye mate, just our away record is generally an embarrassment against the top sides isn't it. But I will worry about that game when it comes around. In the meantime, a good performance and a good win tomorrow will settle the team down nicely I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back