Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman...good choice for us?

• yes, he'll get us top 6 and stability

• no, it's uninspiring even if top 6 is back on

• josé on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then he came back from 2 nil down to win 3 2 against klopp in his next game against the rs plus Koeman put his hands up on that defeat and learnt from it.

Tbf the RS should have been out of sight at half time, it was very similar to the 6-1 cup game .

Tbf the RS should have been out of sight at half time, it was very similar to the 6-1 cup game .

In the first game he change the second half and played 3 at the back which made it worse and he put his hand up to that. Doesnt matter if the rs should have been out of sight, they got battered in the second half

If only some of our fans who are criticising Koeman or described him as 'meh' were as quick to realise how bad Martinez was we may have forced that issue earlier and not been in this mess.
See it slightly different Ian - once someone is in place I believe in giving them every benefit of the doubt to turn things around before getting rid. Sometimes doesn't turn out to be the best decision, as it didn't with Martinez, but prefer to err on that side rather than "acting in haste and repenting at leisure" - not saying it is right but just my personal preference.

However when someone isn't in place, ie you owe no loyalty to, think a detailed analysis of all their pros/cons is the right approach.

See it slightly different Ian - once someone is in place I believe in giving them every benefit of the doubt to turn things around before getting rid. Sometimes doesn't turn out to be the best decision, as it didn't with Martinez, but prefer to err on that side rather than "acting in haste and repenting at leisure" - not saying it is right but just my personal preference.

However when someone isn't in place, ie you own no loyalty to, think a detailed analysis of all their pros/cons is the right approach.
I agree, to describe what he did or is doing with Southampton as 'meh' is ridiculous though IMO, what more could he do? That was nor is this a dig at you BTW.

I agree, to describe what he did or is doing with Southampton as 'meh' is ridiculous though IMO, what more could he do? That was nor is this a dig at you BTW.
He's been great at getting very decent league finishes despite having high squad turnover and (whether with the help of a DoF or not) found good replacements. He seems a likeable guy who has generally played high energy, entertaining football and bar the odd mare hasn't been outclassed tactically.

As for what more he could have done, my concerns about him are in three areas.

He has handled a high squad turnover well but he doesn't seem to have done much to either convince his board to back him or the players to stay. He seems to have hopped about quite a lot as a coach himself as well. I appreciate that is fairly standard these day but ideally would prefer someone who was looking for a longer term project and the abolity to persuade people to back him.

His cup runs have been very poor whilst in the UK - unless we do a Leicester the cups are our only realistic chance of silverware and I badly want some shiny stuff after so long without. Perhaps it is a S'ton thing - Pochettino didn't do well either iirc.

He hasn't shown much interest in using the academy lads, on the plus side he has continued to use the players that Pochettino blooded but he has only introduced one regular, Targett, since.

Some of these concerns are equally applicable to our other candidates of course, or there are completely different ones!

What are you basing this on ?

Nothing really to be fair. I just see his name and think "meh". I know he is a good manager but to me he hasn't really got the wow factor that would make a statement to the rest of the league or players that we may be wanting to attract. Just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree. I felt the same about Martinez when he was chosen. I would have preferred Vitor at Porto at the time.

He's been great at getting very decent league finishes despite having high squad turnover and (whether with the help of a DoF or not) found good replacements. He seems a likeable guy who has generally played high energy, entertaining football and bar the odd mare hasn't been outclassed tactically.

As for what more he could have done, my concerns about him are in three areas.

He has handled a high squad turnover well but he doesn't seem to have done much to either convince his board to back him or the players to stay. He seems to have hopped about quite a lot as a coach himself as well. I appreciate that is fairly standard these day but ideally would prefer someone who was looking for a longer term project and the abolity to persuade people to back him.

His cup runs have been very poor whilst in the UK - unless we do a Leicester the cups are our only realistic chance of silverware and I badly want some shiny stuff after so long without. Perhaps it is a S'ton thing - Pochettino didn't do well either iirc.

He hasn't shown much interest in using the academy lads, on the plus side he has continued to use the players that Pochettino blooded but he has only introduced one regular, Targett, since.

Some of these concerns are equally applicable to our other candidates of course, or there are completely different ones!

Tbf Southampton haven't had a manager longer then two season since 2005. He came out and said the kids were not good enough at Southampton to break through and wasn't impressed

Vote changed sorry Ronald, Unai is now my special one.

Until he says no then I'll come back to you.

Apologies Ronald, I always wanted you.

Koff Koeman ya fat weapon. Not once did I really think you were good enough.

giphy.gif

He came out and said the kids were not good enough at Southampton to break through and wasn't impressed
And that very well could be true, it is just such a huge change from when Pochettino was there and they have a good record historically with their academy.

Can't recall him recruiting in any youngsters from elsewhere either - think theynhave been 24+. Just get the vibe that he never plans to be anywhere long enough to be that concerned with investing the time in development but could be wrong.

And that very well could be true, it is just such a huge change from when Pochettino was there and they have a good record historically with their academy.

Can't recall him recruiting in any youngsters from elsewhere either - think theynhave been 24+. Just get the vibe that he never plans to be anywhere long enough to be that concerned with investing the time in development but could be wrong.

Maybe, his moving around is a concern but alot of managers do this, we are just not used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back