Ronald Koeman...good choice for us?

• yes, he'll get us top 6 and stability

• no, it's uninspiring even if top 6 is back on

• josé on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The manager after Koeman would be that manager IMO

Koeman rights the ship, the new manager comes in and takes it forward (Hopefully it'll be Loew after the 2018 World Cup)
As @Cuban Pete mentioned, guess it is the DoF that will now be tasked with the long term plan and vision - recruitment of one with a good track record like Monchi would go a long way to reassuring me tbh.

7 Million a Year for someone that has achieved nothing is a joke really.

He doesn't really stand out as the guy that is going to take us to the next level. But then again he bloke sacked by Greece has just won the League

But he has achieved a lot!

These are his managerial honours:
Ajax
Benfica
PSV
Valencia
AZ Alkmaar

His recent achievements are getting Feyenoord back from scraping the barrel and transforming Sotton into a side that are consistently fighting for the top six (building/improving on the work of Poch following a mass exodus of players).

If you're going to discount that as an achievement, you can't say Poch has achieved anything either - Spurs completely folded when the pressure was on this season...

But we finished 11th for two seasons running, and we're taking a manager from the club who finished 6th and 7th in those two seasons.

We aren't going to get much better...

The other candidates were someone who has won this league, and someone who has won the Europa three times on the bounce.

7 Million a Year for someone that has achieved nothing is a joke really.

He doesn't really stand out as the guy that is going to take us to the next level. But then again he bloke sacked by Greece has just won the League

I think we're further away then ever to get to that level and teams will be further in front. He will give us stability top half but I can't see anything else. And 7 mill a year is utter crazy and he's only in it to line his pockets

You know the names as much as I do. One's staying at Seville, one's gone to Chelsea, one's gone to man utd, another couple have just left man city and chile, few more are managing Germany, atletico and juve.

Big names.

We were told we could get one, we couldn't. It's a shame. Dave called it spot on.
Isn't that call a straw man argument, Davek tried to set the club up for a fall so he had leverage to criticise. This guy has better what Potchetino did at Southampton despite having his squad ripped apart twice. We'd be fapping from now until eternity if we brought Potchetino in, pound for pound this guy did better.

The other candidates were someone who has won this league, and someone who has won the Europa three times on the bounce.

Mourinho you mean? It's been well documented that he had been paid by Utd to take the job 4 months ago. He was never a candidate.

Emery - we went for - and he looks to have turned our offer down, and it looks to be amidst reports of a move by PSG, Milan and a better offer of backing by Sevilla (who are again in the CL).

£7million. Yeh, it's a lot. But so what? We have the money.

Fans complain when we don't spend it for years, but when we have it and do, they're still whining...

Isn't that call a straw man argument, Davek tried to set the club up for a fall so he had leverage to criticise. This guy has better what Potchetino did at Southampton despite having his squad ripped apart twice. We'd be fapping from now until eternity if we brought Potchetino in, pound for pound this guy did better.

We never saw eye to eye on RM, but agree spot on with this.

People really need to give their head a wobble if they are disappointed with this. It's ridiculous.

Mourinho you mean? It's been well documented that he had been paid by Utd to take the job 4 months ago. He was never a candidate.

Emery - we went for - and he looks to have turned our offer down, and it looks to be amidst reports of a move by PSG, Milan and a better offer of backing by Sevilla (who are again in the CL).

£7million. Yeh, it's a lot. But so what? We have the money.

Fans complain when we don't spend it for years, but when we have it and do, they're still whining...

I meant Pellegrini. With regards to Emery, I don't think we have displayed anywhere near the intent that we appear to have with regards to Koeman.

As for the money, I think you are doing everyone a disservice. People want us to spend, but on players and staff that will improve us. Spending around £25 million on someone whose main argument is that he will get us back to the level we were at when Moyes was here is daft, we may as well save a good chunk of that money on rehiring Moyes if that is what you want.

This is the best chance we have had in years to turn things around, and handing that chance to Koeman is something that should not sit well with anyone. It is hardly nil satis nisi optimum, is it?

I meant Pellegrini. With regards to Emery, I don't think we have displayed anywhere near the intent that we appear to have with regards to Koeman.

As for the money, I think you are doing everyone a disservice. People want us to spend, but on players and staff that will improve us. Spending around £25 million on someone whose main argument is that he will get us back to the level we were at when Moyes was here is daft, we may as well save a good chunk of that money on rehiring Moyes if that is what you want.

This is the best chance we have had in years to turn things around, and handing that chance to Koeman is something that should not sit well with anyone. It is hardly nil satis nisi optimum, is it?

Fairs. Though we went for Pel as well. The Esk confirmed. Moshiri wasn't impressed. Believed Pel was just out for a pay-day.

Right, your second point baffles me.

You've said we want the money to improve us, but you're moaning that we're using it to get in a manager that has finished in the European spots for the last two seasons and broke Sotton's record points total - in a period where we have finished 11th.

How is that not the literal definition of improvement?

The 'special' manages are taken by clubs in the Champions League - that's how it is. We interviewed Pelegrinni and it didn't sit right for Moshiri.

But he has achieved a lot!

These are his managerial honours:
Ajax
Benfica
PSV
Valencia
AZ Alkmaar

His recent achievements are getting Feyenoord back from scraping the barrel and transforming Sotton into a side that are consistently fighting for the top six (building/improving on the work of Poch following a mass exodus of players).

If you're going to discount that as an achievement, you can't say Poch has achieved anything either - Spurs completely folded when the pressure was on this season...
none of those areimpressive, at all.

I'm not anti koeman. I think he'll do better than we have in the last couple of years, get us top 8.

Maybe he'll even surprise me and do better than that.

But it's only an upgrade because we've had an underachieving manger. We could have got this guy 3 years ago easy. We aren't shopping ina different market now, which is what we were promised.

As @Cuban Pete mentioned, guess it is the DoF that will now be tasked with the long term plan and vision - recruitment of one with a good track record like Monchi would go a long way to reassuring me tbh.

I'm far more interested in the DoF appointment than the coach, that will tell us everything we need to know about where we're going. I'd be happy to see us pay someone like Monchi a bloated salary, 7m a year for a manager to right the ship is crazy. The next coach will expect more and rightly so. It's Moshiri's money so it's up to him but it doesn't set a good precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.