Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Ross Barkley joins Chelsea, er, Villa on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wished we'd swapped Ross for Willian, he's exactly what we need.

True.

But you can't tar a player by comparing him to a quality one.

By the sounds of it a few Chelsea heads have RLC, Ross, Willian, Christiansen as there Gylfi, Davies, Morgan, DCL for fume.

Still a different level.

There is probably some truth in his comments about receiving little coaching at Everton.

Martinez was an idiot who filled Barkley's head with guff that he was similar player to Zidane, Gascoigne and Ballack all at once whilst Koeman, another tool, appeared totally disinterested in Everton as a club and probably had very little time for players who weren't already the complete package.

Coaching is a two way street however, you must absorb the information you are receiving otherwise its a pointless exercise. We could have had Mourinho and Guardiola back to back, I doubt Ross would be any different to what he is now. He simply lacks a footballing brain and a spine. He's as good right now as he is ever going to be in my opinion.

There is probably some truth in his comments about receiving little coaching at Everton.

Martinez was an idiot who filled Barkley's head with guff that he was similar player to Zidane, Gascoigne and Ballack all at once whilst Koeman, another tool, appeared totally disinterested in Everton as a club and probably had very little time for players who weren't already the complete package.

Coaching is a two way street however, you must absorb the information you are receiving otherwise its a pointless exercise. We could have had Mourinho and Guardiola back to back, I doubt Ross would be any different to what he is now. He simply lacks a footballing brain and a spine. He's as good right now as he is ever going to be in my opinion.

Yet Sarri uses him, trusts him, plays him regularly over other players and wants to work on him.

Certain players need that. I'd never thought players like Milner or Ox Chamberlain would work as central midfielders at a top 4 club for example as they've generally been squad players on the wing, but they've been coached by Klopp

Yet Sarri uses him, trusts him, plays him regularly over other players and wants to work on him.

Certain players need that. I'd never thought players like Milner or Ox Chamberlain would work as central midfielders at a top 4 club for example as they've generally been squad players on the wing, but they've been coached by Klopp

He's been used nowhere near as much as his games played stats suggest (when you break down the minutes) and he's certainly not trusted over the mainstays of the Chelsea midfield (Kovacic, kante, Jorginho etc). Look at some of the stupid things he did in the two games against Liverpool recently for example.

Barkley played some of his best football of his career in the second half of Koeman's first season and its no secret they didn't see eye to eye so I have no idea what type of manager is best suited to get the best out of him. I'm of the opinion that we've already seen the best of him in any case.

I don't get the Milner example either, he was immense at Villa in centre midfield, you're really buying into the RS media bs if you think Klopp is the first manager to get the best out of him or to "coach" him. He's been excellent wherever he's been.

He's been used nowhere near as much as his games played stats suggest (when you break down the minutes) and he's certainly not trusted over the mainstays of the Chelsea midfield (Kovacic, kante, Jorginho etc). Look at some of the stupid things he did in the two games against Liverpool recently for example.

Barkley played some of his best football of his career in the second half of Koeman's first season and its no secret they didn't see eye to eye so I have no idea what type of manager is best suited to get the best out of him. I'm of the opinion that we've already seen the best of him in any case.

I don't get the Milner example either, he was immense at Villa in centre midfield, you're really buying into the RS media bs if you think Klopp is the first manager to get the best out of him or to "coach" him. He's been excellent wherever he's been.

He's started 4 games in all competitions. 2 in the prem. Appeared in pretty much all the games so far. He's part of a squad for a team challenging for all the trophies they're involved in. Willian, Fabregas, Morata, Pedro are all doing the same being in and out the team.

He won't be dislodging Kane, Jorginho, Kovacic...but Sarri wouldnt bat an eye to put him in if they're injured or out of form so that says to me he's big part of that team.

And to me he's playing better as a CM fitting into there system of close, fast passing, football where everyone needs to be comfortable on the ball. For us he's played as a number 10 creative player. He got better under Koeman when Koeman pushed him further up the pitch after Bolasie's injury (where the focus was to give it to Bolasie and Rom). For Chelsea he's a central midfielder which is a kinda new for him, where Kante is pushed further forward for the most part, and he fits that system which is a disciplined position.

And as for Milner, he was good for Villa. Which is basically the same level as Barkley was at with us. Milner went to City, a step up, and was squad player mainly out on the wing, not trusted to play at that level in central midfield or at least not as good as the other players. He went to the RS at that top level and is now been trusted to play as a CM. So the point is that Klopp is more of a hands on manager than what Milner had at City (similar to ONeil at Villa) and trusted to start champions league finals, something he'd never do for city.

I don't really have an issue with Barkley saying what he said here, as it's only verifying what we already suspected regarding Martinez and how he 'managed'.

Many people suggested that Ross appeared to have been given a free role and did not adhere to a position or philosophy - that's what he is suggested I presume?

I don't really have an issue with Barkley saying what he said here, as it's only verifying what we already suspected regarding Martinez and how he 'managed'.

Many people suggested that Ross appeared to have been given a free role and did not adhere to a position or philosophy - that's what he is suggested I presume?

and in fairness a lot of fans wanted to see this, myself included. As we all know he seems better playing naturally as opposed to be given a role. He can't defend at all, so get him as high up the pitch as possible. Sounds like he's doing the exact same wrong things at chelsea and has lost his goals and assists characteristics he had here, so not sure that "coaching" is doing him any good. No way he'd have got an england recall if he was still here, that's for sure.

There's nowt wrong with him IMO, he's just a bit thick.

Toffeejack, wha about Pickford though? There were plenty of non-Big 6 players in the World Cup squad.

I take a lot of pleasure watching the rat fink snake being ignored by other Chelsea players in this game, I think it’s mainly because he’s never really in space where he can change the game, he’s just stood gesticulating next to the guy with the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back