Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote the above piece about Ross last week
And I think it sums up the last few years of his career
He's now played 3 games as a centre mid
Liverpool 3-3 last yr 2nd half
3-2 loss palace at the back end of last season and to be fair he was the one taking the game to palace in the 2nd half
And of course last night
I think evertonian knows where this lad will end up playing
Though it still maybe a couple of years before he's there every week
Wasn't it @ijjysmith that wrote the first few lines?

VqQK9n2.jpg

Got to say that was my favourite Barkley performance.

I've always hoped he'd eventually become a CM as he is (*sigh*) very Gerrard esque, but with perhaps more energy and drive. What I didn't realise was that the defensive side of his game is already pretty good. He put in the joint most tackles (as the above graphic shows) and really got stuck in. And this can only improve.

His long range passing, physicality and ability to drive from deep are three of his very best assets and all things which are more suited to CM than CAM.

Martinez "I am very happy the way he is performing in that number 10 role".... really? IMO, he plays with so much more purpose when playing deeper
Sounds to me like he is going back up behind Lukaku for Saints.

Martinez "I am very happy the way he is performing in that number 10 role".... really? IMO, he plays with so much more purpose when playing deeper
Sounds to me like he is going back up behind Lukaku for Saints.

But we are better with McCarthy in the middle.

Ross still needs to play as 10 in some games.

QPR were terrible, and the midfield just let Ross do what he wanted.

He gets to see more of the ball in central midfield which is obviously beneficial to him and the team. The kind of performance we saw against QPR he needs to turn in more often though. That is to me what separates him currently from being a good player and one of the world’s best (like a Rooney) is that consistency. It may be due to injuries preventing him having a run. His performance (as well as Besics) will have a knock on affect. I think we are getting a bit worked out playing 4 2 3 1, and we may now move towards a 4 3 3. I would also like to see him take more shots on. He has fantastic shot power with either foot. He should be shooting a lot more often. The standard of goalkeeping against long shots isn’t that great currently. A lot of teams “park the bus” and make it hard for us to intricately pass through them. If Barkley gets half a chance he should shoot more. He has a better strike than Gerrard and would score a lot of goals.

Barkley getting back to top form -- so await some rumours tomorrow that he's injured himself in training. Expect posters on here to call the rumours bollocks -- then await the confirmation on Saturday morning..............it's the Everton way.

Just re-watched the highlights from Monday. Something that really shows in his game when playing deeper is some really incisive passing - quite a few top quality through balls by Ross against QPR. Maybe it's because he has more time to look up and read the play, but either way, they were something we've been lacking.

i can't agree with what they're saying about barkley on SS atm. all saying barkley shouldn't be deeper because he's such a threat further forward. whilst they were saying it, they showed the highlights of QPR and all his good things were from deep. he created two clear cut chances with through balls from deep and of course his goal started with him getting the ball in his own half.

that was one of his finest everton performances for me, he actually controlled the game. he's had great games before further up top and been the best player, finishing moves etc. but never fully controlled the game like QPR.

as we all know from his assist stats, he's not really a danger regarding through balls from there, but he will be playing CM. think he'd get just about as much goals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back