Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
When on this forum does a 'negative' opinion not get classed as Knee jerk? we have played 30 games in all comps this season well over half have featured Barkley and he has only looked half decent V the worst Away team of the premier league era.

Thought he was a bit more than half decent in that game myself, did he play any other games in that position this season, cant think of any?

Thought he was a bit more than half decent in that game myself, did he play any other games in that position this season, cant think of any?
Ah one of the 'he's being played out of position gang' so because he's out of position he can't take a man on? keep hold of the ball? create? not bottle challenges? run himself into the ground trying to win the ball back when he's lost it? Yep ok mate

Ah one of the 'he's being played out of position gang' so because he's out of position he can't take a man on? keep hold of the ball? create? not bottle challenges? run himself into the ground trying to win the ball back when he's lost it? Yep ok mate

You obviously have it in for him if your describing his performance against QPR as half decent, you do realise he's still only a young lad who's had serious injuries hamper his development, give him a break instead of writing off our players, almost acting as though your pleased to see the lad struggling.

You obviously have it in for him if your describing his performance against QPR as half decent, you do realise he's still only a young lad who's had serious injuries hamper his development, give him a break instead of writing off our players, almost acting as though your pleased to see the lad struggling.
Why would I be pleased there is nothing better in football than a club or in this case our club producing top talent, his work rate is crap, no excuse for that.

What I think the problem with Ross is, is a confidence issue. Judging by his interview clips etc, he doesn't seem to be a naturally confident person at all. And it's showing a lot this season. He will often show for the ball, hesitate and then give it back where it came from. Last season he would be looking to play it forward, or drive through their defence.

I think once the team puts a few wins together and morale picks up among the players, we will see the Ross we seen last season.
Hopefully.

What I think the problem with Ross is, is a confidence issue. Judging by his interview clips etc, he doesn't seem to be a naturally confident person at all. And it's showing a lot this season. He will often show for the ball, hesitate and then give it back where it came from. Last season he would be looking to play it forward, or drive through their defence.

I think once the team puts a few wins together and morale picks up among the players, we will see the Ross we seen last season.
Hopefully.
That rubbish started after the WC. I think Martinez has hit the nail on the head here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-boss-roberto-martinez-tells-4997364

Maybe he's right to play him against West Brom, I would have dropped him but I can understand how playing against a weaker team might help his confidence too. If he plays him however he needs to drop Naismith for Oviedo. Ross needs to play in a familiar formation with wide players that he can predict what they'll do and where they are. He doesn't have that ability right now to adapt on the fly.

Interesting article On Ross Barkley...don't know whether its been posted elsewhere but may be of interest.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1507974.ece
Struggling Barkley deserves a break
Critics should support starlet against West Brom tomorrow, rather than jump at the chance to pile criticism on his young shoulders
ROSS BARKLEY likes box sets: Californication, Dexter, Breaking Bad. But, like almost any footballer, his favourite viewing is football. Does he watch Tottenham and feel, perhaps, a shudder of nostalgia?
Harry Kane. There he is, every week, it seems, rampaging through the highlights reels, bashing older pros around, breezing through defences. Kane is nearly always smiling. His face says: “I’m here at last – and I’m having this.” Is that bittersweet for Barkley? Last season he was Harry Kane.
This season he’s an England player who should be running games. He’s a star and if he doesn’t shine, full beam, questions are asked. To an Everton fan in the posh seats at Goodison Park last Saturday, Barkley was an eyesore, a flop, a “Nob ’Ed!” Because he wasn’t dominating while playing out of position. Against Manchester City.
Here’s a little fact about Barkley, so overlooked it almost seems a secret. It is only six weeks since he turned 21. He’s four-and-a-half months younger than Kane. The pair have played almost exactly the same number of senior games.
Kane is playing with a joy and a freedom that you hope will not be quelled — but you worry. In English football you seem to get your breakthrough season for free but, thereafter, the jackboot of judgment is ready to stamp on any kid whose form dips.
This country has always built up sports stars then knocked them down, but this process seems to be accelerating. It’s not just one loudmouth in the stand on Barkley’s back but a number of supporters. In the media, there’s negative noise.
Roberto Martinez was moved to come out and defend Barkley this week. A Merseyside football expert reported the story with typical sagacity but his paper still ran the headline: What Is Wrong With Ross Barkley?
Just last summer, when he touched down in Brazil, Barkley was English football’s secret weapon, the New Gazza, better than a young Wayne Rooney, Everton’s latest local hero. At the tournament he was okay, without taking any game by storm. This season, save for a wonder goal against QPR, he has been subdued and at West Ham, in midweek, Everton improved after his substitution. Okay, he’s having a dip. But what justifies hammering one of your club’s brightest young talents? What’s the benefit?
It’s not as if Barkley is Ravel Morrison-ing (it should become a verb: “to waste one’s talent with extreme brainlessness”). Every Everton player has been up-and-down this season, not just him. Martinez is struggling to balance his side. Goodison has been gripped by anticlimax (12 months ago Everton were in the top four and Martinez thought they had a title shot).
Amid all this, Barkley is still learning the game. Martinez has used him on the left, to accommodate Steven Naismith and Romelu Lukaku, and Barkley has made the switch without complaint. He’s working hard in training. He hasn’t sought a break, although it might have been nice to go on holiday, like Raheem Sterling. “He’s hard on himself. He wants to turn the corner so badly. He’s not full of confidence at the moment but he still wants to play, still wants the ball,” said a confidante.
The role on the left has not come with any great set of tactical instructions from his manager, who plainly wants to keep Barkley’s mind free, and he’s trying to find ways to excel in his new role. He knows what his strengths are: “driving with the ball. Getting the ball from deep and touching it past players and bursting past them,” he told me last season. But it’s easier to do that centrally, especially when you’re two-footed, like Barkley.
A complaint that has dogged Barkley, raised by David Moyes and Roy Hodgson and repeated in the recent analysis, is profligacy in possession. “At the moment they’re talking like he’s getting the ball and passing it out of play,” the confidante complained. Barkley’s passing success rate for 2014-15 is actually 88.6%, higher than Gareth Barry, James McCarthy, Leon Osman and Muhamed Besic. If anything, he needs to take more risks, not less.
To do that, Barkley will need to feel unburdened again. So how about getting off his back? Being young doesn’t make you above criticism, of course, but how about some proportion?
“I never feel fear. I don’t feel like there’s anyone watching” he said in our interview. “Through the years it’s always felt exactly the same as when I played Sunday league. It doesn’t affect me, fans shouting or anything. I just enjoy playing football and want the ball all the time.”
Barkley is not the only one of last year’s breakthrough stars to struggle this season. Look at Adnan Januzaj, Luke Shaw, Lukaku, Philippe Coutinho: other talents still seeking consistency. It’s lovely seeing someone as wholehearted as Kane break through. Let’s just hope next year, if he dips, the smile isn’t ripped off his face.

Interesting article On Ross Barkley...don't know whether its been posted elsewhere but may be of interest.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1507974.ece
Struggling Barkley deserves a break
Critics should support starlet against West Brom tomorrow, rather than jump at the chance to pile criticism on his young shoulders
ROSS BARKLEY likes box sets: Californication, Dexter, Breaking Bad. But, like almost any footballer, his favourite viewing is football. Does he watch Tottenham and feel, perhaps, a shudder of nostalgia?

Harry Kane. There he is, every week, it seems, rampaging through the highlights reels, bashing older pros around, breezing through defences. Kane is nearly always smiling. His face says: “I’m here at last – and I’m having this.” Is that bittersweet for Barkley? Last season he was Harry Kane.
This season he’s an England player who should be running games. He’s a star and if he doesn’t shine, full beam, questions are asked. To an Everton fan in the posh seats at Goodison Park last Saturday, Barkley was an eyesore, a flop, a “Nob ’Ed!” Because he wasn’t dominating while playing out of position. Against Manchester City.
Here’s a little fact about Barkley, so overlooked it almost seems a secret. It is only six weeks since he turned 21. He’s four-and-a-half months younger than Kane. The pair have played almost exactly the same number of senior games.
Kane is playing with a joy and a freedom that you hope will not be quelled — but you worry. In English football you seem to get your breakthrough season for free but, thereafter, the jackboot of judgment is ready to stamp on any kid whose form dips.
This country has always built up sports stars then knocked them down, but this process seems to be accelerating. It’s not just one loudmouth in the stand on Barkley’s back but a number of supporters. In the media, there’s negative noise.
Roberto Martinez was moved to come out and defend Barkley this week. A Merseyside football expert reported the story with typical sagacity but his paper still ran the headline: What Is Wrong With Ross Barkley?
Just last summer, when he touched down in Brazil, Barkley was English football’s secret weapon, the New Gazza, better than a young Wayne Rooney, Everton’s latest local hero. At the tournament he was okay, without taking any game by storm. This season, save for a wonder goal against QPR, he has been subdued and at West Ham, in midweek, Everton improved after his substitution. Okay, he’s having a dip. But what justifies hammering one of your club’s brightest young talents? What’s the benefit?
It’s not as if Barkley is Ravel Morrison-ing (it should become a verb: “to waste one’s talent with extreme brainlessness”). Every Everton player has been up-and-down this season, not just him. Martinez is struggling to balance his side. Goodison has been gripped by anticlimax (12 months ago Everton were in the top four and Martinez thought they had a title shot).
Amid all this, Barkley is still learning the game. Martinez has used him on the left, to accommodate Steven Naismith and Romelu Lukaku, and Barkley has made the switch without complaint. He’s working hard in training. He hasn’t sought a break, although it might have been nice to go on holiday, like Raheem Sterling. “He’s hard on himself. He wants to turn the corner so badly. He’s not full of confidence at the moment but he still wants to play, still wants the ball,” said a confidante.
The role on the left has not come with any great set of tactical instructions from his manager, who plainly wants to keep Barkley’s mind free, and he’s trying to find ways to excel in his new role. He knows what his strengths are: “driving with the ball. Getting the ball from deep and touching it past players and bursting past them,” he told me last season. But it’s easier to do that centrally, especially when you’re two-footed, like Barkley.
A complaint that has dogged Barkley, raised by David Moyes and Roy Hodgson and repeated in the recent analysis, is profligacy in possession. “At the moment they’re talking like he’s getting the ball and passing it out of play,” the confidante complained. Barkley’s passing success rate for 2014-15 is actually 88.6%, higher than Gareth Barry, James McCarthy, Leon Osman and Muhamed Besic. If anything, he needs to take more risks, not less.
To do that, Barkley will need to feel unburdened again. So how about getting off his back? Being young doesn’t make you above criticism, of course, but how about some proportion?
“I never feel fear. I don’t feel like there’s anyone watching” he said in our interview. “Through the years it’s always felt exactly the same as when I played Sunday league. It doesn’t affect me, fans shouting or anything. I just enjoy playing football and want the ball all the time.”
Barkley is not the only one of last year’s breakthrough stars to struggle this season. Look at Adnan Januzaj, Luke Shaw, Lukaku, Philippe Coutinho: other talents still seeking consistency. It’s lovely seeing someone as wholehearted as Kane break through. Let’s just hope next year, if he dips, the smile isn’t ripped off his face.

Mmmmmm...Interesting. Especially the pass completion rate.

He's low on confidence and form.

What happens is that, he needs to develop. With that development, the aspects of his game will suffer. It's up to the coaches to get the balance right.

At the moment, we're rubbish. He takes a few risks that don't come off, people will get on his back. People are already saying he doesn't tackle etc but last season he was. He was bombing back and making sliding tackles to win the ball, was strong, hard to get off the ball. Now, he's a little shot.

Just a period of adjustment. Playing different positions. Expectations higher. He'll learn from it.

He's got to start tomorrow. Pulis will know exactly how Martinez will play the game. Even so, what he will not be able to allow for is Mirallas or Barkley doing something exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back