Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we're all holding on to something thats not there. Lads on here blaming BObby , Woy, Southgate coaches at Everton from he was 10 , injuries playin out off position and other excuses. To me hes just not what we've all been told. Would take a lot of ££ off whoever will give us it so we can improve the overall squad.. Just my opinion what am entitled to before the backlash starts .

True this, its hopes and dreams stuff, Rooney had it and we all knew it, Ross is different.

He has had flashes of brilliance, but Everton fans do tend to exaggerate at times our own players, saying that i am sure most fans do. The media don't help, because they are trying to pin playing for England and being part of the countries future on him as well, not to mention the daft price tags on his head.

The playing out of position stuff is nonsense, why are other players getting that role ahead of him? There has to be a reason, if there is a better job for him in the side he has to prove he can justify moving the side around for him, and he hasn't been able to do that.

I would sub him for a couple of games. We need players up for the fight at the moment. But rather than look at what he is not doing, look at what he has achieved and some of the goals scored since getting a regular run last season.

I would sub him for a couple of games. We need players up for the fight at the moment. But rather than look at what he is not doing, look at what he has achieved and some of the goals scored since getting a regular run last season.
It's being only a sub so often in the past couple of years that has hindered his development. Why on earth subject him to it even more? If the manager believes in his ability then he's got to stick by him and play him every game.

Anyone with half a brain can tell he's woefully short on confidence(we are looking at you Hodgson) Ross looks petrified in case he gives the ball away and it's making him look bad. Wish we could let players develop in their own time instead of putting 'our' hopes and dreams on their shoulders.

I also think he's worried about his injuries which is why he doesn't tackle as often as he should

The playing out of position stuff is nonsense, why are other players getting that role ahead of him? There has to be a reason, if there is a better job for him in the side he has to prove he can justify moving the side around for him, and he hasn't been able to do that.

I agree. To my understanding Bobby believes if Ross can attract attention in certain areas the pitch that will allow other players more freedom/room then Barkley has to play the role too. Is that a better option than letting him run through the middle? I personally don't think so...

Agree with this, that is what all the stuff labeled a dive by MOTD was all about, just trying to avoid getting badly caught. You can tell its on his mind.

This diving nonsense definitely affected him. He's not somebody who dives (apart from that one time...) and holds pride in being so. I reckon that would have rocked him a fair bit. Like us mere mortals who get blamed for something we didn't do... it's infuriating.

Plays like he Cant be arsed. If I went to work an couldn't be arsed I wouldnt get paid. Its his job and all theres to run through brick walls when your not having the best time in possession make it difficult for your opponent. Nothing to do with coaching or ability it's self pride desire hunger and a will to win which Ross don't seem to have.

Plays like he Cant be arsed. If I went to work an couldn't be arsed I wouldnt get paid. Its his job and all theres to run through brick walls when your not having the best time in possession make it difficult for your opponent. Nothing to do with coaching or ability it's self pride desire hunger and a will to win which Ross don't seem to have.

Never mistake a lack of confidence/nerves with someone not being arsed.

I think he's desperate to impress, and just tries too much. I've said it time and time again this season, play him deeper. Allow him more time on the ball and less expectation every time he receives possession.

It'll benefit the team no end as well to have a forward thinking player in the middle of the park against the poorer teams.

To say he can't be arsed is a bit much
He's playing for his boyhood club, just look at his reactions after he's scored
Lack if confidence for me. When he's back on he'll go head first through any wall you want him to

Or get sold to City and spend the next four years on the bench.

Not understanding how lack of confidence makes you walk around the field like it's friendly when you lose the ball, when there's a man to mark 3 yds away or everyone else on your team is playing hard and closing down the opposition.

His attacking being terrible and crabby for a while can be put down to lack of confidence but the other parts of his game can't.

Look at Gerrard without the ball. He's a bad Ted but he plays his heart out even though his legs are gone. He's the closest style of player to Barkley I can see that everyone will have watched more than once.

Lad needs to watch the team play hard without him and hopefully rekindle some sort of desire to perform for Everton.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...on-Chelsea-Man-City-growing-pains-development

Chelsea and Man City target Ross Barkley's growing pains need not stymie his development

THE FIRST thing to say about Ross Barkley is that if Everton decided to put him up for sale today, the stampede for his signature would make Black Friday feel akin to a quiet afternoon of window shopping.

His status as young, English and talented guarantees his attractiveness and the jostling for position between Manchester City and Chelsea, to name two suitors, would serve as a reflection of quality.

This may raise eyebrows among some affiliated with Everton who saw Barkley’s substitution after 67 anaemic minutes of Tuesday’s FA Cup defeat to West Ham as more evidence of a player struggling to match Roberto Martinez’s hyperbole.

Yet Barkley’s growing pains, fuelled by niggling injuries and a crisis of confidence, need not stymie his development. Goodison’s great hope will find his second wind.

For a midfielder capable one week of smashing a 25-yard shot with his left foot into the top corner, and then another week lashing home a right-footed effort from similar distance, the lack of belief currently slowing his stride cannot be anything but temporary.

It might necessitate he drops out of the starting line-up and onto the bench for next Monday’s must-win game over West Bromwich Albion when the stakes are high for Martinez, though that is not a long-term solution.

Barkley’s physique meant that coming through the ranks he naturally dominated games.

Now he finds himself in the best league in the world with sometimes two markers for company as a result of his exploits in last season’s breakthrough campaign and unable to find the pockets of space in which he needs to thrive.

“Last season he was just a young man enjoying his football,” said Everton manager Martinez before the shoot-out defeat at Upton Park which means Everton have fallen at the first hurdle in both domestic cup competitions this season.

“Now he's Ross Barkley and the opposition pay him extra attention.

“I'm not concerned about him getting that attention. I'm concerned with what we do with the extra space that should be created when he is marked by two men.

“It is a bit of a learning curve for us as a team, how to utilise that, and for him because I have been playing him in different positions, bombarding him with information to grow quickly.”

Martinez invariably breaks into a smile whenever Barkley becomes the topic of conversation and has compared him to the likes of Michael Ballack, Ronald Koeman and Paul Gascoigne in the past.

Normal managerial protocol would be to downplay the parallels and it is interesting that it is Barkley’s club-mates who have taken it upon themselves to seek to ease the pressure on him during interviews.

But the breadth of talent Martinez has referenced, spotting parallels with different qualities displayed by a series of elite established talents, highlights how part of the debate over Barkley revolves around where his best position is.

Barkley excelled in a deep-lying midfield role against QPR when scoring a blockbusting strike – his only goal of the campaign – in December, but has been deployed on the left and as a No10 since.

It was noticeable against Harry Redknapp’s side that Barkley scarcely wasted a pass when the frustration with him when the frustration with him so often boils down to an inability to retain possession when deployed further forward.

Martinez, a man who can see sunshine when it is raining, counters the argument.

“I'm smiling, because he's a player who will maybe lose the ball three times, and he'll want it again. That's a sign of a player who'll find a way,” he said.

“He's got the top personality. You get a player who loses the ball a couple of times and they hide. That's when you've got a real issue.

“I see Ross where he was last season and now, and he's a better player than he was last season. He is someone who has taken things on board and in different areas of the pitch I see huge improvement every day.

“You can't measure Ross on making one or two bad decisions. You can measure him on what he is doing every day on the pitch. I find it a period of his career that excites me because he never hides from the responsibility.

“The more focus, the attention he gets, the more he is himself, and that is impressive.”

Given that David Moyes before Martinez expressed concerns over Barkley’s distribution, and England coach Roy Hodgson was apoplectic on the touchline when the youngster gave the ball away shortly after being introduced in the friendly with Scotland in November, it has to be an area he works on.

But where the considered view is Barkley must pursue perfection, Martinez seems happy to embrace the flaws.

“That's not a problem, when you lose the ball three times and then want to hide, that's when you've got a problem,” said Martinez. “With Ross on the fourth time he'll go past three players and give you an assist or a goal.

“That's the great thing about Ross, that personality. He doesn't need to be having a great game to give you something, and I will never have a problem with someone like that.

“You need to understand why he is giving away possession. Maybe he's trying things too risky when he's already got two players on him. If there are two players there, then we will have a player somewhere else sitting on his own.

“That is where we need to learn to use it to our advantage. I will never have a problem with a player who takes responsibility.

“He makes mistakes, but he never hides. The problem is when someone makes mistakes and starts hiding, and doesn't want to fight for the team.

“With Ross Barkley, in assessing his performance I don't look at what is wrong or what is missing, I see the opposite and at what he can bring, what action he can produce that is unexpected.

“As a team we need to be prepared for that. I don't see it as a negative at all."

We have to stop labelling him as either world class or useless. He's developing and needs time to develop. The club should be more than one player anyway.

I would cash in if a £30 million plus bid came in for him. The lad does my head in with the way he just jogs around the pitch without a care in the world like he is already a superstar. He just looks like he can't be arsed and there is not enough effort being put in. He has the potential but I think he is overrated in my opinion.

I would cash in if a £30 million plus bid came in for him. The lad does my head in with the way he just jogs around the pitch without a care in the world like he is already a superstar. He just looks like he can't be arsed and there is not enough effort being put in. He has the potential but I think he is overrated in my opinion.

Hes overrated yet you would accept 30m for him.

Surely if hes overrated you would be happy to accept 10m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back