Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see your point. I respect it and understand it throughly.

But a lad in possession of the talents he has is simply not living up to expectations by playing in the manner he currently is.

He is selfish. Narrow minded. He doesn't look up. He isn't aware of his surroundings. He'd rather stubbornly hang on to a ball and scuttle into a dead end than look up and ping a ball.

He is becoming very self centred and that's not the Everton way.

I still believe he will develop into the best player he can with us. He is one of us.

But the lad needs to sort himself. Recognising that is not being a poor supporter. It's being honest.

give it a like and will say really seriously like...I mean nail head job.

There are two areas of concern for me with Barkley at the moment. The first is the manager's baffling decision to try a central player on the wing when he is clearly not cut out for a role there. In my opinion, that's been the biggest hindrance to Barkley's form as Martinez has got that call badly wrong. He is a central player who likes to drive forward whether that is from central midfield, or behind the striker. He never has been and never will be a winger. It's put a massive dent in his confidence because he has played poorly there. This needs to stop right away.

The second issue is Barkley's own attitude. I genuinely think he's a bit thick at times and he is really struggling for form and confidence. The problem we have is that in the centre, he is comfortable there so is able to realise that when things aren't going well, he can play safe and pass to his midfield partner e.g Besic. On the wing however, he has no support whatsoever and is played balls with his back to goal. He can't seem to play safe in that position which results in him going on dangerous runs from the left back area across to the centre circle and losing it.

His attitude towards tracking back and getting stuck in has been unacceptable. Even for a player struggling for confidence. If he wants to back out of challenges in the air for example, then the least he can do is go over and try and put the player off. Against City he let players stroll past him when he's a 21 year lad who should be one of the fittest players in the league. He needs to cut that out.

There are two solutions to this that I would go for. Play him in the middle alongside Besic/McCarthy in place of Barry or don't play him at all. The workrate and goals Naisy gives us behind the striker is more important at the moment with the way the two players are playing.

There are two areas of concern for me with Barkley at the moment. The first is the manager's baffling decision to try a central player on the wing when he is clearly not cut out for a role there. In my opinion, that's been the biggest hindrance to Barkley's form as Martinez has got that call badly wrong. He is a central player who likes to drive forward whether that is from central midfield, or behind the striker. He never has been and never will be a winger. It's put a massive dent in his confidence because he has played poorly there. This needs to stop right away.

The second issue is Barkley's own attitude. I genuinely think he's a bit thick at times and he is really struggling for form and confidence. The problem we have is that in the centre, he is comfortable there so is able to realise that when things aren't going well, he can play safe and pass to his midfield partner e.g Besic. On the wing however, he has no support whatsoever and is played balls with his back to goal. He can't seem to play safe in that position which results in him going on dangerous runs from the left back area across to the centre circle and losing it.

His attitude towards tracking back and getting stuck in has been unacceptable. Even for a player struggling for confidence. If he wants to back out of challenges in the air for example, then the least he can do is go over and try and put the player off. Against City he let players stroll past him when he's a 21 year lad who should be one of the fittest players in the league. He needs to cut that out.

There are two solutions to this that I would go for. Play him in the middle alongside Besic/McCarthy in place of Barry or don't play him at all. The workrate and goals Naisy gives us behind the striker is more important at the moment with the way the two players are playing.

Disagree with pretty much of all this mate.

The second issue is Barkley's own attitude. I genuinely think he's a bit thick at times and he is really struggling for form and confidence.

I dont see the relevance to Barkley being thick, and the link between that an form/confidence. We've seen him show little pieces of genius proving his intelligence on the pitch. He is certainly low on confidence at the moment but again, not sure what your point is here?

On the wing however, he has no support whatsoever and is played balls with his back to goal.

He has Baines/The Left Back, the Centre midfielder next to him, the centre forward? I dont understand why you think he has his back to goal more than any other midfield position. He doesnt play as an out-and-out winger and obvs isnt as advanced as the striker, so why would he receive the ball with his back to goal more often?

I think we need to remember who our manager is. and by that I mean - are you sure he hasnt been told not to track back/work back if he loses the ball? Remember Arsenal at home this season - it was well reported that Martinez specifically told Lukaku not to track the Arsenal left back when he was playing on the wing in order to always be an available outlet option.

If he's being a lazy git, Barkley, then absolutely he needs to learn. But that might not actually be the case.

The lad is going to be a wonderful player and part of hiss development will involve making stupid mistakes and learning new positions. I dont mind at all how he is being used by the Manager - after all, RM did pretty well with James McCarthy at Wigan.

I dont see the relevance to Barkley being thick, and the link between that an form/confidence. We've seen him show little pieces of genius proving his intelligence on the pitch. He is certainly low on confidence at the moment but again, not sure what your point is here?

He has Baines/The Left Back, the Centre midfielder next to him, the centre forward? I dont understand why you think he has his back to goal more than any other midfield position. He doesnt play as an out-and-out winger and obvs isnt as advanced as the striker, so why would he receive the ball with his back to goal more often?

I think we need to remember who our manager is. and by that I mean - are you sure he hasnt been told not to track back/work back if he loses the ball? Remember Arsenal at home this season - it was well reported that Martinez specifically told Lukaku not to track the Arsenal left back when he was playing on the wing in order to always be an available outlet option.

If he's being a lazy git, Barkley, then absolutely he needs to learn. But that might not actually be the case.

The lad is going to be a wonderful player and part of hiss development will involve making stupid mistakes and learning new positions. I dont mind at all how he is being used by the Manager - after all, RM did pretty well with James McCarthy at Wigan.

ha. saved me replying....spot on

No worries. The game is all about different opinions!

I think he's shown on numerous occasions that he's a bit thick personally. I've seen stuff in Barkley that was non existent in Rooney for example, where comparisons have been drawn. Barkley at times seems to run in to trouble when it's inevitable. I've seen him dribble the ball out of play where you can see it's coming 5 seconds earlier. He also does it in dangerous positions. I have no problem with him trying runs as that is what his game is about, but he does it when he knows it's not an option. He also gets caught on the ball as if he doesn't realise there are other players on the pitch trying to take the ball off him. These are just observations and aren't in any way intended to write the lad off or make out he isn't a special talent. Because he is, I just think he has areas to improve on.

The next point, maybe saying no support "whatsoever" was a the wrong term to use but I was thinking to Southampton as a game where it didn't work with him on the wing and some of the balls he received were difficult for him to be able to do anything with. Balls that only the likes of Pienaar in our squad is very capable of dealing with where Barkley and even Lukaku isn't. Lukaku suffered from the same thing earlier on with some of the balls played in to him with a defender right behind him.

You may have a point with the Martinez tracking back thing but there have been times when he hasn't put in effort to close down the opposition player. Again similar to Lukaku in previous games. Whereas Lukaku's best games recently have come when he has looked far more alert and covered a lot more ground.

The lad is 21 now, he's not a kid anymore. It's time for a bit of consistency from him. Rooney was tearing the Premiership up at 16-17

The lad is 21 now, he's not a kid anymore. It's time for a bit of consistency from him. Rooney was tearing the Premiership up at 16-17
Rooney was a freak. We shouldn't keep comparing Ross to him just because they both came through our youth ranks. Ross is no different than most young players albeit with far more potential than most.

Think we're all holding on to something thats not there. Lads on here blaming BObby , Woy, Southgate coaches at Everton from he was 10 , injuries playin out off position and other excuses. To me hes just not what we've all been told. Would take a lot of ££ off whoever will give us it so we can improve the overall squad.. Just my opinion what am entitled to before the backlash starts .

Fair shout but it would have to be a lot of cash!

He simply shouldn't be played on the wing
Can't remember which game it was now but this season when he played a deeper role and was allowed to dictate play and push forward he had one of his best games. I have no problem with him playing next to McArthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back