Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone know what happens with Barkley now regarding pre-season break etc?

Obviously the players come back from there breaks today but the likes of Barkley, lundstrum etc have been away playing in the WC and will no doubt get a break themselves but how long? Pre season friendly's start in a couple of weeks and you would think Martinez wants to see plenty of Barkley.

I remember an interview with Barkley saying he won't get a Holliday this year but wasn't bothered as he was just looking forward to impressing the new boss. Maybe just a short break??

The players are back in training on Wednesday. Not sure about the lads who were away wth the U20s but I read an interview with one where he said he had already been away on a holiday, so I'd guess they might get another week off before joining up wth the squad in the second week of pre-season.

I agree with you that this pre-season is a really important one for the manager, coaches and players to be together as long as possible, so I reckon those lads won't be too bothered about another break on a beach when they'll want to be trying to impress the new boss.

I think that Martinez will use Barkley quite a lot this season and Barkley is now old enough to play quite a few games together without fear of burnout(he has been managed well by David Moyes), if Barkley produces the type of football that he is capable of I wouldn't be surprised to see get a full cap at some stage.

I have watched many great midfielders at Everton, from the 1960's onwards, and I have to say that Barkley doesn't particularly thrill me. He may be extravagantly talented, but so was Duncan McKenzie and he isn't regarded as one of the greats.

To me, Barkley lacks self-belief, which is pretty much a pre-requisite for an attacking midfielder. He drifts in and out of matches and doesn't show much desire to boss the game.

He was probably the best of the current U20s, but that isn't saying much, and for all the promising approach play he never looked like scoring in the game against Egypt, whereas you just knew the Egyptian lads would score given the chance.

I hope he proves me wrong, but it will take a major step up in attitude and performance.

Last edited:
He was brilliant in the U20 World Cup i thought and he had some ****e around him, imagine him next season with the likes of Mirallas, Pienaar, Gibson etc around him, along with that, Martinez' attacking style, he could well be up for PFA YPOTY IF he get the games he deserves.

Exactly this. He often seemed to be a thought or a few seconds ahead of his U20 team-mates last month, but with better players around him and a manager who seems to know how to develop young players into first team regulars, this could be his breakthrough season. Just hope he keeps his feet on the ground despite the inevitable media attention he'll get, but that's where the club needs to look after him and keep him out of the spotlight.

Brilliant outside foot pass in the U20 Euros.

ib0mgZxUmNeVcU.gif

I have watched many great midfielders at Everton, from the 1960's onwards, and I have to say that Barkley doesn't particularly thrill me. He may be extravagantly talented, but so was Duncan McKenzie and he isn't regarded as one of the greats.

To me, Barkley lacks self-belief, which is pretty much a pre-requisite for an attacking midfielder. He drifts in and out of matches and doesn't show much desire to boss the game.

He was probably the best of the current U20s, but that isn't saying much, and for all the promising approach play he never looked like scoring in the game against Egypt, whereas you just knew the Egyptian lads would score given the chance.

I hope he proves me wrong, but it will take a major step up in attitude and performance.

[video=youtube;zV41k4rhGts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV41k4rhGts[/video]

He looked pretty close to scoring at 21 seconds to me, not to mention the run and through ball on a plate for the striker straight after

Last edited:

Duncan Castles ‏@duncanscastles 8m

My sources tell me Hull have agreed a one year loan deal for Ross Barkley. There is NO option to buy. @hullcitybuzztap @evertonbuzztap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back