Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Hazard and Pedro - two wingers - aren't as good at defending. Neither is Sergio Aguero, but comparing apples to oranges here.

Gerrard, Pogba, Alli and even to an extent that ladyboy - they all track back and run, put a foot and a tackle in, at every opportunity. Remember when Ross did that more than once a month? We have to accommodate him to be Ross Barkley by putting a million other players that are willing to do the hard work because he just doesn't. Never did, never will, at least not on a consistent basis. We can't have a midfield behind him giving him the ball - Koeman's addressed that by putting other players in slightly more 'free' midfield positions - Davies has done okay for the most part, for example, and it's what Barkley should be doing - being a presence *off* the ball too, not just on it. If he's only doing 50% - hell yeah he'll be predictable and doubled up on. Any team will know that he won't try to win the ball back and get half-arsed when chasing.

From your examples - Pedro actually doес a lot of work up and down the field, despite it being from winger positions, yet still manageс to score loads of goals and all that.

You must have missed the majority of the last 3 or 4 months then, becuase Ross was doing plenty of tracking and tackling.

Gerrard was not a great defensive central midfielder, just look for England and the title slip, he always needed top DMC's behind him, to get the best out of his game.

Ali does not pass the halfway line he has 2 of Dier/Ericksen/Wanyama/Dembele behind him
Neither does Coutinho (who loses the ball loads), has 2 of Can/Lucas/Wjnaldum/Henderson behind him.
Pedro runs alot, but does not track back, hence Moses and Alonso ALSO playing, AND 2 defensive minded midfield players.

Pogba needs 2 players behind him also, and one of them is Fellaini. At Juventus, he was never played in a central 2, he had 2 of Pirlo/Marchisio/Vidal, behind him.

I see a trend!!!

so would it be your opinion he is not good enough to be a first team/bench option for a top team in the Premier League?
Its my opinion that he's not good enough for 1 of the top 6 sides and for about half his time here he's not been good enough for us either. He's got great close control and balance but just doesn't have enough poise around the penalty area for me.

Its my opinion that he's not good enough for 1 of the top 6 sides and for about half his time here he's not been good enough for us either. He's got great close control and balance but just doesn't have enough poise around the penalty area for me.

Not even good enough to have in our squad and contribute to our season either starting when deserved or coming off the bench?

You have missed the point completely.

Every one of the players you have mentioned where surrounded by proper top drawer players, Ross is not.

Point being, all these players need support, and Ross does not really have that, being in attack or defense, those top players he is compared to all have different level support.
As much as I consider myself to be a fan of Barkley, I do think that there's a reason why some find themselves surrounded by great players and others are left to slum it, so to speak.

It's too early in his career to say that he won't ever end up in an elite team, but I do think that both he and Lukaku will be held back by their inability to do a job as part of a unit. Even the very best sides need to be disciplined and execute a game plan at certain times, whereas it's like having a pair of teenagers up front when Everton go away to the better sides.

You would like to think he could come off the bench and make a big impact but he never has. The total opposite in fact.

Thanks for answering.

I think you have a ridiculously harsh outlook on a player who has been at worst pretty decent for us since he came into the first team and has contributed as much as the majority of the players who have turned out for us since he properly broke through.

He is a blue and for me doesn't need to live up to the hype. He just needs to have done his part to a decent level when each season closes, as it's a squad game. i think he has done this in each season so far. Contributed. Anything above that is a bonus. The squad is not going to be full of of top class week in/week out players and for me he has more than shown himself worthy of being part of the current squad and any hopefully improved one in the future.

Thanks for answering.

I think you have a ridiculously harsh outlook on a player who has been at worst pretty decent for us since he came into the first team and has contributed as much as the majority of the players who have turned out for us since he properly broke through.

He is a blue and for me doesn't need to live up to the hype. He just needs to have done his part to a decent level when each season closes, as it's a squad game. i think he has done this in each season so far. Contributed. Anything above that is a bonus. The squad is not going to be full of of top class week in/week out players and for me he has more than shown himself worthy of being part of the current squad and any hopefully improved one in the future.
I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong mate and please don't think I'm one of those Arl arses who always gets on his back. He has improved this season but I don't think he's done enough to convince koeman. Time will tell

DCL being offered a new deal, somethings definitely strange over the Ross contract saga

I think Koeman has asked for the talks to be put on hold until the summer, If he can bring in the targets he wants Ross could be out the door

DCL being offered a new deal, somethings definitely strange over the Ross contract saga

I think he thinks he is better than he is. If he thinks he's good enough to start week in week out for a top 6 team go for it.

Personally I think he's in the right environment at Everton, especially considering he's supposed to be one of us.

If he or his agent engineer a move to go and sit on the bench at Spurs he deserves all of the criticism that will come his way, no defending it.

I think he thinks he is better than he is. If he thinks he's good enough to start week in week out for a top 6 team go for it.

Personally I think he's in the right environment at Everton, especially considering he's supposed to be one of us.

If he or his agent engineer a move to go and sit on the bench at Spurs he deserves all of the criticism that will come his way, no defending it.

He's already had the criticism. Every week when he has the nerve to make a mistake. From teenager to now. Whether at the game or on forums like this.

I'd have nothing but disdain for fans who put the boot in if he does end up leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back