Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might still be too much of a jump switching from the #10 role to being part of a two man midfield, probably best to have a midfield three with one of Barry/McCarthy/Besic in the holding role to give a touch more cover for Ross.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. I still think a classic 4-3-3 is the best formation around.

think for the first time once Cleverley and McCarthy are both fit then Martinez will at least think about the option of not always starting him in games, and really that's the key to evolving the centre mid really
Ya he will definitely have to be rested at some stage and when he is hopefully the two lads can nail down them two spots.where does that leave besic though?cant see him making a breakthrough this year but will he wait around?

Ya he will definitely have to be rested at some stage and when he is hopefully the two lads can nail down them two spots.where does that leave besic though?cant see him making a breakthrough this year but will he wait around?

Honestly mate if we are loking to build a team that can genuinely push the top of the table then Besic isn't good enough from anything he has ever shown outside of one World Cup game against Argentina.

Not knocking the player as love his enthusiasm and his engine but he has shown no signs of progressing from the player that arrived a year and a half ago, not disciplined enough for the Barry roll, not creative/dangerous enough to be a box to box midfielder and not a for want of a better word a 'destroyer'

Only way through for him that i can see as Martinez especially seems loathe to rotate in centre mid is a loan to get some game time and to develop - could see him getting games for Sunderland or Villa etc and it could be the only chance he gets to show he can hack it at this level

Honestly mate if we are loking to build a team that can genuinely push the top of the table then Besic isn't good enough from anything he has ever shown outside of one World Cup game against Argentina.

Not knocking the player as love his enthusiasm and his engine but he has shown no signs of progressing from the player that arrived a year and a half ago, not disciplined enough for the Barry roll, not creative/dangerous enough to be a box to box midfielder and not a for want of a better word a 'destroyer'

Only way through for him that i can see as Martinez especially seems loathe to rotate in centre mid is a loan to get some game time and to develop - could see him getting games for Sunderland or Villa etc and it could be the only chance he gets to show he can hack it at this level
Ya think you are right mate.was a big fan when he first came,i suppose due to his aggressive nature but he really does seem to be in limbo and with highly thought of young lads coming through the ranks maybe it might be time to be moving on if bobby really has no plans for him.

Ya think you are right mate.was a big fan when he first came,i suppose due to his aggressive nature but he really does seem to be in limbo and with highly thought of young lads coming through the ranks maybe it might be time to be moving on if bobby really has no plans for him.

Like to see him get loaned out to a Norwich or villa in January as lng as he got an extended run of games and just see first hand if he starts to come on with that

Anyone else have a very slight nagging concern that he's having his edge and specialness gradually trained out of him ?

I knows he's becoming maturer etc and his ball retention etc is improving but in my mind he was more exciting and dangerous when he first came into the team.

He's a lot more conservative with what he does now, reminds me a bit of how Rooney over time had his best features neutralised some what by Ferguson. He became a better player overall but not the jaw droppingly exciting player he was for Everton and England circa 2004.

I don't want him to go down that direction, he's too good offensively to be sat in central midfield for most of the game playing simple balls and linking the play together.

I no longer see him put in performances like he did against Arsenal away and Liverpool home a couple seasons ago.

He's still obviously boss.

Anyone else have a very slight nagging concern that he's having his edge and specialness gradually trained out of him ?

I knows he's becoming maturer etc and his ball retention etc is improving but in my mind he was more exciting and dangerous when he first came into the team.

He's a lot more conservative with what he does now, reminds me a bit of how Rooney over time had his best features neutralised some what by Ferguson. He became a better player overall but not the jaw droppingly exciting player he was for Everton and England circa 2004.

I don't want him to go down that direction, he's too good offensively to be sat in central midfield for most of the game playing simple balls and linking the play together.

I no longer see him put in performances like he did against Arsenal away and Liverpool home a couple seasons ago.

He's still obviously boss.

I actually think the opposite - I think he's many times better now than when he first came into the team.

He's been sensational recently.

Might still be too much of a jump switching from the #10 role to being part of a two man midfield, probably best to have a midfield three with one of Barry/McCarthy/Besic in the holding role to give a touch more cover for Ross.

Can see him, Cleverley and McCarthy being a midfield 3 going forwards once Barry is phased out the starting team

Dont k ow why fans want to shape Barkley into anything other than what he's doing now?

Seperately - I think Besic will be long gone before Barry's former drops to any noticeable degree. I expect Barry to be a first team mainstay through next season and by then Besic will likely be a distant memory.

I actually think the opposite - I think he's many times better now than when he first came into the team.

He's been sensational recently.

Agree with that, this season he is making himself central in every game, previous ones a lot of the time he was finding himself drifting completely out of some games, guess that's the consistency that Martinez bangs on about with several players, also he's making himself open and demanding the ball all the time this year which is a sign of his confidence growing by the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back