Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. mate it is important. Because as we're doing that type of buying we're also shuffling out the door three of the jewels in the crown Moshiri was 'determined to keep' and thus our ability to compete is eroded.

Only by spending on top players will we ever retain all our talent and build on it...and that requires a lot of cash to be spent.

We all knew this when Moshiri took over, and the argument for having him was that he'd do all that and it'd the platform for our lift off.

From that consensus some have drifted off into this "net spend isn't a key factor' BS dreamland of denial.

Not for me. I'm holding this feller's feet to the fire on his words regarding 'giving you my all' that he spouted when he first took over/

So: massive net spend this summer "Mosh" otherwise you are the latest in a long line of phonies and carpetbaggers.
So you're telling me you'd have one Andy Carroll instead of Gueye because he was 6 times more expensive and that having overpaid players would help us save our good players? Lukaku wouldn't leave if we spent 100m last season? Come on mate...

I understand what you want to say, but that's simply not how it goes. Yeah, we need some quality players in, but I'd much rather pay less for them and get them more in, than pay 30 effin million for Moussa Sissoko and brag around that my club has spare 30m to drop down the river and a negative net spend.

Yes. mate it is important. Because as we're doing that type of buying we're also shuffling out the door three of the jewels in the crown Moshiri was 'determined to keep' and thus our ability to compete is eroded.

Only by spending on top players will we ever retain all our talent and build on it...and that requires a lot of cash to be spent.

We all knew this when Moshiri took over, and the argument for having him was that he'd do all that and it'd be the platform for our lift off.

From that consensus some have drifted off into this "net spend isn't a key factor" BS dreamland of denial.

Not for me. I'm holding this feller's feet to the fire on his words regarding 'giving you my all' that he spouted when he first took over/

So: massive net spend this summer "Mosh" otherwise you are the latest in a long line of phonies and carpetbaggers.
Sorry Dave but you're chatting absolute banana's..........again Getting me through a hangover tho.

So you're telling me you'd have one Andy Carroll instead of Gueye because he was 6 times more expensive and that having overpaid players would help us save our good players? Lukaku wouldn't leave if we spent 100m last season? Come on mate..I understand what you want to say, but that's simply not how it goes. Yeah, we need some quality players in, but I'd much rather pay less for them and get them more in, than pay 30 effin million for Moussa Sissoko and brag around that my club has spare 30m to drop down the river and a negative net spend.

That feller could have spent big last summer and we could now be sitting here smiling at suggestions Barkely and Lukaku would wish to leave.

He failed at the first fence last summer. He has a massive point to prove. I sugget he gets on spending and spending on quality this summer or he is a busted flush.

All that has been spent so far as far as I'm concerned is just 3/4s of the Lukaku fee we'll receive. And we'll sell more than him.

The feller has literally 10 weeks to pull his finger out and start spending money over and above what we get in through the door.

In order to make the top 4 consistently a team needs to net spend around 30-35 million per season, and anything over that is unnecessary.

NEA now if Ross stays or goes. Think he'll stay now as he'll have the choice of staying, joining a lesser team, or warming the bench at a top 6 team. No brainer from his point of view.

Last five seasons net spend:
Liverpool £122M
Arsenal £206M
Chelsea £206M
United £369M
City £403M

...Spurs £1M...but over last decade £107M

Keep arguing for break even spending. It's called 'preparing to fail'.

I'm a Spurs fan and came on here to see what your views were about Barkley leaving as our itk is suggesting this transfer could be drawn out over the summer. Anyway I was interested to read that the debate has moved to 'net spend' which is often the case of the Spurs forums. Davek has a point. The league does tend to mirror what teams spend is where they end up. Leicester last season was a fluke that will probably never happen again.

Spurs keep punching above their weight but ultimately we've not won anything again. It's just typical of us that this season's total would've won 8 Premier League titles in the past but this year the Russian mafia managed to buy the trophy again. Sa la vie. And this summer looks like breaking transfer records again.

The fact that we and yourselves compete is a miracle in itself. However I don't think Everton or Spurs chucking money at it will guarantee success. Ultimately it will be City, Utd and Chelsea competing for the big prizes again regardless of what we spend. I had a look at net spend for the last 5 years and these are the results:

Last 5 years:

upload_2017-6-18_16-42-17.webp

Since oil money arrived in 2003 with the Russian mafia taking over Chelsea:

upload_2017-6-18_16-45-30.webp

It does illustrate Davek's point about net spend to a degree.

We're punching above our weight due to Levy being able to buy low and sell high, a gift that many Spurs fans don't appreciate. Everton are another well run club that live within their means and punch above their weight. Just look at Sunderland, West Ham and Stoke to realise how well we're both doing.

You could chuck 200m at it but I don't think it will guarantee you success. City and Chelsea will just spend more. The TV money bubble will burst one day and it's the well run clubs like Everton, Southampton and Spurs that will prosper. Our time will come!

I'm a Spurs fan and came on here to see what your views were about Barkley leaving as our itk is suggesting this transfer could be drawn out over the summer. Anyway I was interested to read that the debate has moved to 'net spend' which is often the case of the Spurs forums. Davek has a point. The league does tend to mirror what teams spend is where they end up. Leicester last season was a fluke that will probably never happen again.

Spurs keep punching above their weight but ultimately we've not won anything again. It's just typical of us that this season's total would've won 8 Premier League titles in the past but this year the Russian mafia managed to buy the trophy again. Sa la vie. And this summer looks like breaking transfer records again.

The fact that we and yourselves compete is a miracle in itself. However I don't think Everton or Spurs chucking money at it will guarantee success. Ultimately it will be City, Utd and Chelsea competing for the big prizes again regardless of what we spend. I had a look at net spend for the last 5 years and these are the results:

Last 5 years:

View attachment 37841

View attachment 37842

We're punching above our weight due to Levy being able to buy low and sell high, a gift that many Spurs fans don't appreciate. Everton are another well run club that live within their means and punch above their weight. Just look at Sunderland, West Ham and Stoke to realise how well we're both doing.

You could chuck 200m at it but I don't think it will guarantee you success. City and Chelsea will just spend more. The TV money bubble will burst one day and it's the well run clubs like Everton, Southampton and Spurs that will prosper. Our time will come!

Additionally Chelsea etc can afford to buy big money flops (it's a long list) whereas Spurs and Ev cant.

Once we buy big it has to be right.

Last 5 years:

View attachment 37841

View attachment 37842

Just shows the RS have spent 24 million a season to get nowhere. Difference is they have the income to get away with it. If we spent that for the last 5 seasons we would be bankrupt by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back