Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

@orly got me thinking about this Ross situation with his question about player movement over here in the states and how contracts are part of the equation.

My question that I'm pondering now, is why wouldn't more players like young Ross allow their contract to run down and try to cash in as a free agent? It's quite normal over here, and you'd think that an out of contract Barkley would have many suitors. If it's only about money, then he goes to the highest bidder...if it's about winning or competing in the CL then he goes to the highest bidder that offers those things.

It just seems like a player like him should have the power to dictate how his career goes, if he so chooses. Why doesn't this happen more?

@orly got me thinking about this Ross situation with his question about player movement over here in the states and how contracts are part of the equation.

My question that I'm pondering now, is why wouldn't more players like young Ross allow their contract to run down and try to cash in as a free agent? It's quite normal over here, and you'd think that an out of contract Barkley would have many suitors. If it's only about money, then he goes to the highest bidder...if it's about winning or competing in the CL then he goes to the highest bidder that offers those things.

It just seems like a player like him should have the power to dictate how his career goes, if he so chooses. Why doesn't this happen more?

Its seen as disloyalty and most of the time clubs will sell players going into their last year.

A few of them do, but theres always a chance they will just warm a bench for 12months, nobody wants to miss a year of their career.

I suppose so. Just seems odd to me that it's not done more. It's a very labor unfriendly way things are done. Like if I was an indispensable player...say Messi in my prime...why not get out from under a contract to find the best deal for me.

I guess another aspect here is that the players are unionized.

2 reasons.

1. They waste a year being with the kids, and not exactly in the shop window.

2. It hardly shows the attitude a buying club would find attractive.

The classic example of how to do it right, was Suarez at that lot. Played brilliant, enhanced his rep, and everyone was a winner.

2 reasons.

1. They waste a year being with the kids, and not exactly in the shop window.

2. It hardly shows the attitude a buying club would find attractive.

The classic example of how to do it right, was Suarez at that lot. Played brilliant, enhanced his rep, and everyone was a winner.
And happened to take a nibble off Chiellini's shoulder for that added security x

Being a free agent has all the advantages you describe, but clubs have to look after their best interests too. So they will use a carrot/stick approach, IE, the carrot of an extension with wage hike, so then he has to way up does he want another £XXk a week now, or wait for it? The stick can be being frozen out of 1st team (particularly effective in WC year).

Then there's the chance of bad injury or loss of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back