Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone worry that despite all the positives of Barkley playing deeper we looked very vulnerable right through the middle even against a League 1 team? For it to work either Barry needs to play or McCarthy needs to be told to just sit which goes against what Martinez wants from Jimmy.
I agree. He was immense when he came on and got us going but leaves a big hole in there that would be punished by a PL team. Maybe a run in the team to get more discipline is needed when hes that deep in a 2 in there but we cant afford to be left so unprotected as we were last night.

I agree. He was immense when he came on and got us going but leaves a big hole in there that would be punished by a PL team. Maybe a run in the team to get more discipline is needed when hes that deep in a 2 in there but we cant afford to be left so unprotected as we were last night.

Don't think we did look vulnerable through the middle. All their goals came from the flanks and our keeper's/ centreback's inability to take charge of the situation especially the first two goals.

He looks really content coming collecting the ball and spread some excellent passes last night. He alsi clearly has the ability to go past 1/2 players at full speed and attract more and this can be very effictive. He looks more like a cm to me than a number 10 where the above atributes wont be as effictive. I thought besic covered him well although some think differently. I know he messed up on the 3rd goal but otherwise I thought did very well. Barry on a bad day would have been shown up a lot more with young lads running round him.

Anyone worry that despite all the positives of Barkley playing deeper we looked very vulnerable right through the middle even against a League 1 team? For it to work either Barry needs to play or McCarthy needs to be told to just sit which goes against what Martinez wants from Jimmy.
Agreed. As I mentioned above, I would have McCarthy take over Barry's role and put Ross alongside him. I don't think McCarthy will ever be the ball-carrying threat that Barkley is.

I think it depends on the opposition. Against the weaker teams I would play Barkley alongside McCarthy but against the harder teams I would play him further and stick with Barry and McCarthy. We just need someone better to play the No 10 role when Barkley does get moved further back.

I know what your saying mate but for me Ross can close down space/avenues, close down angles without having to try and snap people.

Weve had Barry and McCarthy together far too many times where people still walk through the middle of the park. For me, Ross can be the box to box midfielder with one other player holding.

We all raved about Del last night and rightly so but for me Barkley was the catalyst. He came on, was vocal and geeing up players ( seen him do it to Besic a few times ). Could and should have scored 3, set up one with a lovely ball ( is that 2 or 3 assists now ) and generally was very disciplined in his in game management of when to sit and when to break.

Still not the finished article but he looks lethal when bringing the ball out from his own half full of confidence and purpose.

He's the ultimate huff and puff player at the moment. At times his quality will shine through and he's a driving force through the middle but it's normally accompanied with the wrong decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back