Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superb tonight, as he has been all season.

Think some people need to give hodgson some credit though. He kept him in the set up and gave him game time when in all honesty there were plenty of others who were playing better at the time. If he'd been dropped from England duty it might have done his confidence irreparable damage last year.

Here is a decent piece on Ross from the Daily Star.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/469327/England-boss-Roy-Hodgson-bank-Everton-Ross-Barkley

The bit I like is

From now until then Hodgson should focus on what Barkley can do, even if some people prefer to talk about what he can't.

and has anyone any idea who the unnamed manager is that part of the article refers to
can't believe the bit where hodgson says he should model his game on totti and baggio, completely different players to ross

do the same commentators say playing henderson is a risk when he goes through a game with 64% pass completion, this desire to highlight any little thing Ross does wrong absolutely kills me, no one is perfect, human beings make mistakes, but this lad is the most talented CM in the country by a billion miles, I love watching him play

I turn the commentary off now mate. They were peddling the same rubbish about a year ago in a match when Barkley gave the ball away completely ignoring the fact that Sterling had done it everytime he had got possession. Those comments by Hodgson were absolutely ridiculous and good job the lad has got Bobby as his club boss.

Superb tonight, as he has been all season.

Think some people need to give hodgson some credit though. He kept him in the set up and gave him game time when in all honesty there were plenty of others who were playing better at the time. If he'd been dropped from England duty it might have done his confidence irreparable damage last year.

I think even if Barkley hits a bad run of form then he would still be there or thereabouts with the England team as I can't think of anyone who possesses that bit of unknown quantity and quality that Ross could produce at any given time.

Like that article says From now until then Hodgson should focus on what Barkley can do, even if some people prefer to talk about what he can't. Should apply not only to Hodgson but fans and media. He should be nurtured and not beaten with a stick like most up and coming talented players.

I think even if Barkley hits a bad run of form then he would still be there or thereabouts with the England team as I can't think of anyone who possesses that bit of unknown quantity and quality that Ross could produce at any given time.

Like that article says From now until then Hodgson should focus on what Barkley can do, even if some people prefer to talk about what he can't. Should apply not only to Hodgson but fans and media. He should be nurtured and not beaten with a stick like most up and coming talented players.

I agree, but to take a 20 year old to the World Cup after he'd had what I would say was a decent season (some excellent performances, some pretty poor) and then keep him in the team throughout a generally poor season, shows that hodgson has much more faith in him than most managers would.

Yeah he talks him down but sometimes I think that's important. He gets a lot of carrot at everton and sometimes the odd stick is no bad thing.

To be clear, I think hodgson is a dinosaur in general terms, but I don't agree with the idea he gives Ross a raw deal.

Watched the 20 min highlights of the game and Ross looked very assured. Very unlucky not to score and was central to things when England went forward and looked dangerous.

I think he is on to something though. I prefer he models on them than gazza and bloody ballack
the gazza one is a bit stupid, he runs with the ball so he must be the new gazza... i wish people would stop comparing him to the likes of gerrard/gascoigne/ballack etc and just enjoy him for what he is, he doesn't have to be the new anybody

the gazza one is a bit stupid, he runs with the ball so he must be the new gazza... i wish people would stop comparing him to the likes of gerrard/gascoigne/ballack etc and just enjoy him for what he is, he doesn't have to be the new anybody

Totally agree

*oh he likes to shoot far and hard he must be the new ballack*

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back