Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16 Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they have going for them is the draw. They avoid the strong European teams until the final. They would be underdogs against England, France or Spain. Think they will squeak past the Dutch though
I want Argentina to win the World Cup,but I think the Dutch will be hard to beat in the next match. Van gaal teams can be hard to break down, and the Dutch have plenty of finishers throughout the team. I don’t think Argentina have a creative enough midfield.

Would love messi to lift the World Cup though.

He's obviously marvelous, but I can understand people who find him a little bloodless. He quietly goes about his devastating brilliance, but some possibly prefer the emotional overload of Maradona. Messi is self-contained. He lacks the drama of a Ronaldo. Technically, I don't think I've seen anyone better than Messi. But as a force of nature, Maradona gets my vote. But you can't really compare eras. Maradona played in an era where the great players were brutalised and assaulted from behind. The 1986 World Cup had all four of the best players in the world - Zico, Rummenigge, Maradona and Platini entering the tournament with varieties of injury. They were crucified by Gentile, Goicoechea, Camacho and the like, notorious hatchetmen who fouled with impunity. Messi and Ronaldo had almost injury-free careers. That was only possible thanks to rule changes and clampdowns.

Also, the offside law changes over the years opened up the playing area for creative players. In the 1980s, Serie A was characterised by multiple 0-0s and 1-0s every week as space, and goals, were at a premium. It was a different game then. Messi is, for me, the undoubted greatest player of his era. Beyond that, it's apples and oranges.
Yeah, as @Papa Shango says, I get that. I don’t agree, but as you say it’s a matter of personal preference.

While it's obviously great for minnows to make the second round, as a neutral, the sooner they are all out the better. We're going to see a series of processions in this round as the wheat is sorted from the chaff. The quarter-finals look set to be very tasty.

While it's obviously great for minnows to make the second round, as a neutral, the sooner they are all out the better. We're going to see a series of processions in this round as the wheat is sorted from the chaff. The quarter-finals look set to be very tasty.
I reckon one shock at least in this round.

It never goes as smoothly as you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back