Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16 Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is well put. Aesthetically his style is not the easiest on the eye. Compare the way he runs with the ball with graceful players of a similar stature like his long time compatriot Iniesta or one of my old favourites Baggio. He also does not have the box office personality that transcends. For these reason we will never be one of my favourite footballers.

However, I think he is the best based consistency of performance over such a long period. That being said I don’t think he is a talented a Maradona although there is an argument to be had for either man.
Aesthetically I can't think of anyone better, and to argue that Baggio was more graceful running with the ball is strange. Messi can go round opposition players in many different ways, and often looks graceful doing so.

Just to be clear, are you saying Dest, Musah and Robinson are world class talent?
Robinson, no. I can't see him evolving as a player much and he'll always be a mid-tier talent.

Dest and Musah are both 22 and 20 respectively. If Dest can work on his defensive work, he can absolutely become a world class talent. Musah imo, is a world class talent. I have no doubt after this tournament, he will be chased by the top clubs of Europe. He absolutely dominated the England game.

If I was an England fan, I'd be absolutely furious at the FA for missing out on Musiala and Musah. Schoolboy errors from your FA.

Poland have produced Lewandowski and they are a very weak team. Norway produced Haaland, and they are even worse and probably will never play in the WC. USA can easily produce a world class no.9. Not to mention, our expats and military men are either living in Europe and many of them had kids with European women, so it's not far-fetched for a European born world class talent to represent America in few years. We already have Dest, Musah and Robinson that fit the bill. I pretty much fit this bill.

Absolutely zero of those players are world class. Or anything even approaching it.

It was a good effort by Australia that, but that second Argentina goal was very soft.

They were unlucky not to take Argentina to extra time. You can't afford to make mistakes like that, against a team like Argentina though.

Sometimes you watch a game and the scoreline doesn't really reflect the overall ebb of the game, looking back at Argentina-Australia, that's happened there

Lots of talk about the Cricket cheats being "unlucky" but better finishing from Lautaro and that's 3/4-1, and the spin is "oh what a dominating win for Argentina, that's the result they finally needed to prove their credentials as tournament contenders"

Think them versus the Dutch will be a very tight affair but another moment of Messi magic and they'll be through

Unfortunately we came across a superior opponent and we got tactically outclassed today. That's pretty much all it boils down to. For 2026, we need to find a new manager, a world class no.9 and also 1 or 2 more goal-scoring talents.

On the balance of things, most Americans have barely paid attention to our team this WC and soccer is like the 5th most popular sport in this country. I almost feel bad sometimes for beating teams who actually put their blood and soul into this sport. With all things considered, I hope things change for 2026. If 2026 is not going to change the soccer landscape in America, then absolutely nothing will. It will always be a niche sport here.
You're from the USA are you! I feel bad for the people of that fine, great and noble nation.

Aesthetically I can't think of anyone better, and to argue that Baggio was more graceful running with the ball is strange. Messi can go round opposition players in many different ways, and often looks graceful doing so.
I think some people are judging Messi on how he plays now rather than how we as at his actual peak, seen some odd shouts about him recently on here

Best goal scorer, dribbler and playmaker that I’ve seen all rolled into one player for me

Sometimes you watch a game and the scoreline doesn't really reflect the overall ebb of the game, looking back at Argentina-Australia, that's happened there

Lots of talk about the Cricket cheats being "unlucky" but better finishing from Lautaro and that's 3/4-1, and the spin is "oh what a dominating win for Argentina, that's the result they finally needed to prove their credentials as tournament contenders"

Think them versus the Dutch will be a very tight affair but another moment of Messi magic and they'll be through
Idk the chances to make it 3 or 4 all came when Australia was pushing for the leveler. I don't think they were unlucky because they didn't offer a threat but Argentina did very little themselves for about 75 minutes.

The box office of crying like a spoilt child, when he turns a team game into a selfish, solitary one? Doesn’t care about anybody but himself box office? I’d rather have messi box office football over that spoilt narcissist ronaldo
Why does it have to be one or the other?

You have obviously never seen the McGeady spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back