Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16 Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poland have produced Lewandowski and they are a very weak team. Norway produced Haaland, and they are even worse and probably will never play in the WC. USA can easily produce a world class no.9. Not to mention, our expats and military men are either living in Europe and many of them had kids with European women, so it's not far-fetched for a European born world class talent to represent America in few years. We already have Dest, Musah and Robinson that fit the bill. I pretty much fit this bill.
Easily? You’ve just listed the two premier strikers in the world. If it was easy, we’d have done it already. Those two are generational talents.

France and England to both go through today
France and England never play each other in knockouts of tournaments, so one of them will not be going through. My money is on England going out but it could easily be Poland knocking out France too, so hard to call but all I know is France vs England is not happening.

France and England to both go through today

Likely so. I generally root for England (in so far as they are not playing the USA) and suspect they will prevail, but I would have loved to see a Senegal-England match with Mane and Gueye playing. With those two, I think it would be much more unpredictable and would have been a boss match-up.

Unfortunately we came across a superior opponent and we got tactically outclassed today. That's pretty much all it boils down to. For 2026, we need to find a new manager, a world class no.9 and also 1 or 2 more goal-scoring talents.

On the balance of things, most Americans have barely paid attention to our team this WC and soccer is like the 5th most popular sport in this country. I almost feel bad sometimes for beating teams who actually put their blood and soul into this sport. With all things considered, I hope things change for 2026. If 2026 is not going to change the soccer landscape in America, then absolutely nothing will. It will always be a niche sport here.

We just saw what USA is. OTOH it put out a side that bossed the middle of the park against an English midfield including Saka Sterling and Mount. Minnows don’t do that. On the other hand southgate looks down his bench and sees he can throw in Foden and Grealish and Rashford, and USA has crap. Elite teams have quality depth but USA doesn’t.

We just saw what USA is. OTOH it put out a side that bossed the middle of the park against an English midfield including Saka Sterling and Mount. Minnows don’t do that. On the other hand southgate looks down his bench and sees he can throw in Foden and Grealish and Rashford, and USA has crap. Elite teams have quality depth but USA doesn’t.
The game is different with 5 subs now. Teams can run there midfield and attack into the ground and get away with it. US cannot

MLS actually hurts the US at striker in a way you wouldn't think. Not that we should be using MLS caliber strikers at the World Cup, yesterday made it very clear they are not good enough... but the ones that are there need game time to excel and get their move to Europe to keep developing against better competition. Instead most MLS teams are dumping their Designated Player* money into attackers from Central and South America for the first team and blocking the path for their young homegrown players.

* Designated Players are the ones you can spend any amount of money on. Each team gets three Designated Players.

France and England never play each other in knockouts of tournaments, so one of them will not be going through. My money is on England going out but it could easily be Poland knocking out France too, so hard to call but all I know is France vs England is not happening.
England and Senegal have never played each other in international football.

Firsts happen. The universe doesn’t actively block them.

The Messi hype over last night. Yes, he turned up and led his team. No, he wasn't 'amazing'.

That would have been seen as an under-par performance when he was in his pomp.

The BBC pundits are pathetic. Always trying to create a spectacle even when none exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back