Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday is going to be painful. Fully expect us to exit the tournament unless changes are made (which I don't expect).

Spain definitely looked most impressive so far, gonna be interesting to see could Germany hurt them.

Spanish defence staying very high on the pitch and Georgia had several dangerous counters, something Germany could try to exploit.
Though i would put Sane on the bench, he looks lost and far cry from that player from few years ago.

Last edited:
Spain definitely looked most impressive so far, gonna be interesting to see could Germany hurt them.

Spanish defence staying very high on the pitch and Georgia had several dangerous counters, something Germany could try to exploit.
Though i would put Sane on the bench, he looks lost and far cry from that player from few years ago.
If they play Sane, they have already conceded.

Germany can beat Spain - but they'll need to do something they haven't done in a decade: perform well in a knockout match. So, for this generation, this is an acid test.

France-Belgium is perhaps the most interesting game of the tournament so far. Belgium used to have a superb record against France, losing only 2 of 16 matches with them until the magnificent match at Nantes in Euro '84 when the Carrre Magique produced their signature performance in a 5-0 masterclass.

Of course, that Belgian side was shorn of many regulars due to a match-fixing scandal. They had beaten France in qualifying for the 1982 World Cup in what was a proper group of death. Belgium, runners-up in the 1980 European Championship, were joined by France (who would go on to the semi-finals in Spain), the Netherlands (who were runners-up at the 1978 World Cup), and a superb Republic of Ireland side with Liam Brady, Mark Lawrenson, David O'Leary, and Frank Stapleton. Ireland finished above that Dutch team and level with France - but lost out on goal difference. In reality, they were done out of it by two shocking referreeing decisions in Paris and Brussels. But that Belgian side was excellent, topping the group by a point before the scandal interrupted their brilliant run which also took in a World Cup semi-final in Mexico in 1986.

Any comparisons between the current "golden generation" and that side of Ceulemans, Pfaff, Scifo, Vercauteren, and Gerets is hilariously misguided. They wouldn't lace their boots. But a win today would give them a last chance to change that narrative...

Bellingham under invitagation for grabbing his junk in front of Slovakia bench.

Won’t lie, I kinda like that he’s a bit of an arrogant [Poor language removed]. It’s the kind of thing the English will hate him for but we need more players with that level of cockiness tbh

Looks like I posted his actions in the wrong thread 😄

Won’t lie, I kinda like that he’s a bit of an arrogant [Poor language removed]. It’s the kind of thing the English will hate him for but we need more players with that level of cockiness tbh

Everyone hate arrogant fuckers. Expect if they play for team you support, then is "our own" likeable arrogant [Poor language removed].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back