Rugby World Cup 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, even the disagreements are more polite in rugby...
In the old days, didn't they use to say that rugby was a game played by gentleman and cricket was a game played by hooligans?

And I stand to be corrected, but wasn't it because you needed to have a university level education to qualify for professional rugby and in cricket you didn't?

Wow, even the disagreements are more polite in rugby...
Rugby Captain to referee “ Sir, could you explain that decision to me ?”
Footballer to referee “ ?%.!!?.anker”
It came up again the other day about Sam Warburton , then Captaining the Lions in the final match of the 2017 series v the All Blacks. Series was 1-1 , match level near the end when the ABs were awarded a potential match winning penalty. Warburton had barely spoken to the ref that half, but walked slowly up to him and asked him to check out his decision. He wasn’t sure what he was asking for , but the ref checked and reversed his decision. Series ended as a tie. Literally a different game to football in that respect.

In the old days, didn't they use to say that rugby was a game played by gentleman and cricket was a game played by hooligans?

And I stand to be corrected, but wasn't it because you needed to have a university level education to qualify for professional rugby and in cricket you didn't?
I think it’s the old one that my rugby teacher at School always used to say that you mean : “ Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans; rugby is a hooligan’s game played by gentleman, “

I think it’s the old one that my rugby teacher at School always used to say that you mean : “ Football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans; rugby is a hooligan’s game played by gentleman, “
Yes! It's not cricket.

You had qualified doctors, lawyers and engineers playing professional rugby.

Whereas that wasn't the case with football. Still isn't! 🤣

I’m not sure why your making this a League v Union “ basic stuff” comment , because it isn’t.
The ball was under his body when he dived, held by his left hand I agree , but it would have been the same result if it was held by his right hand , as it was still under his body . He was diving for the line , with the ball under his body , technique was fine , a second faster and he’d have bounced over the line for a try. In my view Richie Mo’unga made a fantastic try saving tackle, if you disagree that’s fine by me.
It was awful technique because by holding the ball in his left hand he not only could not fend the incoming defender at all, but the ball was right there to be dislodged. There's a reason that most tries scored in the corner are done by diving (not sliding) with the ball held single-handedly in the hand furthest from the defender. By holding it in the outside hand there's no chance of it being dislodged, while being airborne prevents the player being out of play because the body isn't touching the ground. You see this kind of try every week in League, so you can only assume it's a basic skill that's taught.

Had the French winger done this, he'd have scored.

It was awful technique because by holding the ball in his left hand he not only could not fend the incoming defender at all, but the ball was right there to be dislodged. There's a reason that most tries scored in the corner are done by diving (not sliding) with the ball held single-handedly in the hand furthest from the defender. By holding it in the outside hand there's no chance of it being dislodged, while being airborne prevents the player being out of play because the body isn't touching the ground. You see this kind of try every week in League, so you can only assume it's a basic skill that's taught.

Had the French winger done this, he'd have scored.

But he wasn’t trying to fend off the defender , he was diving, !!!. , surely you recognise that, if he’d been running upright with 10 yards to go then it would be different. If you watch enough rugby Union you’ll see many tries with the player in the air, outside of the lines, dotting the ball down with the inside hand , sometimes they can’t contort their outside hand inside. Sometimes they use their outside hands too , I don’t see the issue .
You seem intent on somehow making this about Rugby League. I really will leave you too it this time, other things to do.

They must have tapped into all that Irish fight and anger that's been building up all the way back since the potato famine!

They look like they've come to play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back