Salford v Everton - Saturday 27th July 2024 - 3pm

Just in context from reading the athletic which had a journalist embedded at the camp in Ireland the training regimen was pretty intense along with double sessions the day before they played sligo I'm assuming this early in the season the week of training was no different the emphasis is fitness, also salford have played 6 exhibitions already, if were playing like this against roma then we should panic but it's still early for season prep

Maupay showed again what a liability he really is ....
kids-in-the-hall-dave-foley.gif

Oh oui! And I'm here all season mon ami! 😘💋 xoxoxo

I'd stopped watching by the time it was basically the U21's.

The worry for me in the 1st 2 games is the style has evolved to be even worse than previous seasons.

The 2 up top is crap, 442 itself isn't the issue as most modern clubs transition in to 442 defensively these days, but it's on the ball they expand in to their normal style, ours remains 442 with 2 lumps up top and hit it long hoping something sticks.

McNeil has been horrendous first 2 pre season games, seems to just run all the way sideways just to pass to Coleman and the few times he's tried to cross the corner flag has been more in danger.

You'd think with Ndiaye and Lindstrom now in the door a tweak is going to have to be needed because neither of those lads are going to thrive in route one rubbish we're currently using.

Pre season matters much more than people think. It's a very big part of the reason why we start the season so poorly so often.
It does look at Bobbys 2nd season, Mourinihos 3rd season at Chelsea, Benitez last season at RS. Pre season is a chance to see where we need improvement. Whose not fit enough, fitting news players into team, before we have competitive games. For some reason Everton think pre season is a chance to play players, who are going to leave or be sent on loan. Giving players like Stones and Barkley a chance to build confidence in Bobbys first pre season helped our start to the season. Our players seem to take 6 weeks to get used to competitive competition.

I have to agree, we don't do ourselves any favours pre-season, although it is mainly for fitness, it should still be used to try patterns of play and get the team playing together. Normally this type of game doesn't matter but we don't have a lot of friendlies to get things working how we want.

Playing all the u21s for me is a waste of a pre season game.

We still don't look like we have any sort of cohesive plan going forward. Chermiti looks promising though and how quick is that Dixon lad.

I have to agree, we don't do ourselves any favours pre-season, although it is mainly for fitness, it should still be used to try patterns of play and get the team playing together. Normally this type of game doesn't matter but we don't have a lot of friendlies to get things working how we want.

Playing all the u21s for me is a waste of a pre season game.

We still don't look like we have any sort of cohesive plan going forward. Chermiti looks promising though and how quick is that Dixon lad.
Agreed. But I wonder if we are trying to avoid another preseason disaster. Dwight went down to start last season and it not only effected us greatly but it took weeks for him to get back to a decent level. Some of these teams in preseason are out for blood and will throw in rash challenges.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back