Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say he is hardly anyone's choice, never seen a more unpopular manager - even including ones who had been terrible for a couple of seasons.

The stability he offers is keeping a team in the league, nothing more, progression he offers has been shown to be zero at every club he's managed at.

Do you believe a club that have the 10th most expensively assembled squad in world football in reality has ambitions that can be matched by Sam Allardyce?

One thing i agree about is he knows what he is doing, he is doing exactly what he has always done regardless of the team, which is make them happy they finish 17th and no lower, that's the measure of success in Sam's world view
He needs to ride off into the sunset, on an elephant, well it couldn't be on a horse. the fat mess, just go ffs.

Top 6 is always a possibility.... Like the ones saying they had a funny feeling he was really gonna go for the cup this season, it's based on nothing but weird faith he's suddenly going to start achieving things. He's only ever finished 6th once 13 years ago in a league that is unrecognisable from now.

Better players better football.....
Again, history suggests the opposite. His record suggests grafters not technically good players.

We need stability atm Sa gives us that, keep changing the manager is not the answer.....
He has brought the greatest instability to the first XI he could possibly have. Changing the manager worked with Royle. Horses for courses.

I know he is not everyone's choice, but he is vastly experienced & knows what he is doing.....
He sure does, he has people believeing we're doomed when the reality was far from it.

Do you honestly think he will be sacked if we finish 7th or 8th this season & start off well next season after a good pre season in the transfer market.....
He won't be here in the summer.

City and rs home games back to back will see him gone mate, not a prayer he survives two hammerings without a shot from us at goodison in back to back games, and we will get battered in both games I have zero doubt.
A derby win or spirited draw to add to a likely top half finish might consolidate him. I'd still take the derby performance, tbh, even under those circumstances.

I'm hoping that his recent statements about planning for next season are his way of keeping this season's performances focussed, as we all know these players will seize on any excuse to tread water.

I honestly cant see him being here in the summer, mate. It wont have gone unnoticed that most dont want him, and there will be better options out there to bring in who can do a better job. I still reckon that if Silva isn't installed at S'ton or wherever this season he's just going to be slotted in here.

I can't see any scenario where he's here for next season - so much so that I don't understand the panic over it.

Well, a bit of a lie actually - I can see one scenario; where Moshiri is such an overwhelming fraud that he just keeps him in place rather than pay him off because he's not arsed as long as we stay in the league. But even as a Moshiri critic I think that's a massive long shot.

I'm 99% certain he's gone within 2 weeks of the season ending. What I will say though is that I don't understand the abuse he's getting. Take a step back and ask yourselves what has he done wrong exactly? He did his job - he kept us up. You all knew that was the sole reason he's here, so why are you all so upset at him for... doing his job?

A derby win or spirited draw to add to a likely top half finish might consolidate him. I'd still take the derby performance, tbh, even under those circumstances.

I'm hoping that his recent statements about planning for next season are his way of keeping this season's performances focussed, as we all know these players will seize on any excuse to tread water.

I honestly cant see him being here in the summer, mate. It wont have gone unnoticed that most dont want him, and there will be better options out there to bring in who can do a better job. I still reckon that if Silva isn't installed at S'ton or wherever this season he's just going to be slotted in here.
Completely agree for once Dave.

He obviously wants to stay for next season, I just can’t see it either. He’ll have done what he was brought in to do but he was never a long term choice. Our next appointment will be about bringing in someone who the club thinks can build something, Silva looks the current favourite, but we’ll see.

While I am not a great fan of BFS myself I think you need to think again at that statement
Statistically he most certainly isn’t that bad

Did you make that decision when he was announced as manager and haven't changed it since?

Since Allardyce took charge properly after the West Ham game we have picked up 19 points from 39 available. That is the 7th best form in the league over that period. Chelsea are 5th with 21 from 36 (game in hand tonight), West Ham next with 20 from 39, and then us. He's gained us more points in the time he's been here than Arsenal have got (17 from 39).

I never wanted him as our Manager from the start but if you have a browse through my posts around that time, i did indeed get behind him and wanted him to do well and prove everyone wrong. He started off OK but lets be honest, a lot of that was down to the new Manager bounce effect accompanied with a fair bit of luck such as penalties etc. That however soon changed and the performances since late December 2017 have been absolutely shambolic. 9 points out of a possible 27 points with a couple of heavy embarrassing capitulations included speaks for itself. No where near good enough. What we have seen from him since late December is far too much chopping and changing, far too defensive in games including games that were winnable, some baffling defensive and defeatist line ups such as against Arsenal, continuous deflecting blame to everyone except himself, continuous negativity and pushing relegation battles, throwing his players under the bus publicly instead of professionally behind doors to again deflect blame from himself. Just goes on and on.

The fact that we are 2 points behind 7th place is nothing to do with us being good. It is because all the teams from 7th down have been poor this season. There is a 9 point gap between 6th and 7th highlighting this fact. Even with this very lucky opportunity of reaching 7th place again and with 33 points still up for grabs (36 at the time he said it), what do we hear from the Everton Manager? The season is effectively over and all we want to do is write the season off and avoid relegation and plan for next season. An absolute disgrace from any Everton Manager.

So yeah any support and respect towards him was completely drained over the past 7 weeks. Sooner he has gone, the sooner the club can start moving forward again and planning for the future.

I'd say he is hardly anyone's choice, never seen a more unpopular manager - even including ones who had been terrible for a couple of seasons.

The stability he offers is keeping a team in the league, nothing more, progression he offers has been shown to be zero at every club he's managed at.

Do you believe a club that have the 10th most expensively assembled squad in world football in reality has ambitions that can be matched by Sam Allardyce?

One thing i agree about is he knows what he is doing, he is doing exactly what he has always done regardless of the team, which is make them happy they finish 17th and no lower, that's the measure of success in Sam's world view

Very unpopular choice I agree, however I believe he could bring stability & improvement to our team.....
He has inherited a very unbalanced squad that needs to be sorted deadwood & signings that need to be moved on.....
This will take time & effort & can not be done properly when we keep changing our manger.....
SA needs time to do the job, then we can judge if he can bring us forward or not....

Big Sam has his flaws but the reality is that there has been a significant improvement in results since he's come in. If you look as a % of total points on offer:

League only:

Koeman: Points gained = 8 from 27. % of total points = 30%
Unsworth: Points gained = 7 from 15. % of total points = 47%
Combined: Points gained = 15 from 42. % of total points = 36%
Allardyce: Points gained = 19 from 39. % of total points = 49%

However, this doesn't show the true picture of Unsworth's time as manager as he had a poor record in the Cups. I have noticed a lot of criticism of Allardyce about the way he treats certain games like the Arsenal one, so if that is (rightly) used against him, Unsworth can't be given a free pass for humiliations in Lyon and against Atalanta at home. 3K+ Evertonians went over to Lyon whilst we weren't mathematically out and Unsworth decided we'd lump balls up to Sigurdsson for most of the game. So for the purpose of fairness imagining each Cup game as 3 points for a win etc like in the league, the % then changes like this:

All matches:

Koeman: Points gained = 22 from 48. % of total points = 46%
Unsworth: Points gained = 7 from 21. % of total points = 33%
Combined. Points gained = 29 from 69. % of total points = 42%
Allardyce: Points gained = 22 from 45. % of total points = 49%

This favours Koeman who had 2 fixtures against Ruzomberok in that, and Sunderland in the League Cup.

The jury is out on Moshiri

Keeping a deeply unpopular manager isn't the way to get more onto your side, especially one who brings this brand of 'football' to the show

Hiring a manager with a 'buzz' about them - who has a track record of playing entertaining and attractive football will give him a huge 'temporary' boost in popularity.

My own thinking is that any team that really wants it more will get the best of a BFS team mate, both City and the rs will do in those games and will tonk us, and nea ultimately if that is a difference between him staying or going, rather in reality lose two games than waste another season with the damage long term he will cause to the club.

Silva is a strong shout still, would show for once Moshiri isn't 'fickle' as i suspect he actually may be, but from things i heard at the time and subsequently, we did have a genuine interest in Fonseca - although others ultimately got there way because of his lack of 'prem experience', and can see us going back in again in the summer or if we are safe and get rid of sam

Big Sam has his flaws but the reality is that there has been a significant improvement in results since he's come in. If you look as a % of total points on offer:

League only:

Koeman: Points gained = 8 from 27. % of total points = 30%
Unsworth: Points gained = 7 from 15. % of total points = 47%
Combined: Points gained = 15 from 42. % of total points = 36%
Allardyce: Points gained = 19 from 39. % of total points = 49%

However, this doesn't show the true picture of Unsworth's time as manager as he had a poor record in the Cups. I have noticed a lot of criticism of Allardyce about the way he treats certain games like the Arsenal one, so if that is (rightly) used against him, Unsworth can't be given a free pass for humiliations in Lyon and against Atalanta at home. 3K+ Evertonians went over to Lyon whilst we weren't mathematically out and Unsworth decided we'd lump balls up to Sigurdsson for most of the game. So for the purpose of fairness imagining each Cup game as 3 points for a win etc like in the league, the % then changes like this:

All matches:

Koeman: Points gained = 22 from 48. % of total points = 46%
Unsworth: Points gained = 7 from 21. % of total points = 33%
Combined. Points gained = 29 from 69. % of total points = 42%
Allardyce: Points gained = 22 from 45. % of total points = 49%

This favours Koeman who had 2 fixtures against Ruzomberok in that, and Sunderland in the League Cup.

I'm long past caring who is the worst of Koeman, Unsworth and Allardyce.

I want to see a competent manager appointed.

Very unpopular choice I agree, however I believe he could bring stability & improvement to our team.....
He has inherited a very unbalanced squad that needs to be sorted deadwood & signings that need to be moved on.....
This will take time & effort & can not be done properly when we keep changing our manger.....
SA needs time to do the job, then we can judge if he can bring us forward or not....

Where's stability in 45 changes to the team and 9 differing cb pairings in his last 10-11 games in charge mate?
Where's the stability in spending 27m on a striker you are writing off after 100 minutes of game time?
Where's the stability of winning 2 in the last ten, and going from a 5-1 loss and calling your players pathetic to a 3-1 win and praising them all?

Show me one team this century he has 'taken forward'?

He'll leave in the summer by mutual consent like he did with Palace last year. He's made probably the easiest 9million he'll ever make because we were never really in risk of going down. He's done his best to convince everyone we were in trouble though and thanks to him we just about stayed up. He'll leave in the with his glorious rep of never going down intact, sit tight for a few months and await the first panic sacking of the new season to happen before thumbing his way through a gravy soaked Jacamo catalogue eyeing up suits fit for a press conference.

The jury is out on Moshiri. Keeping a deeply unpopular manager isn't the way to get more onto your side, especially one who brings this brand of 'football' to the show
Hiring a manager with a 'buzz' about them - who has a track record of playing entertaining and attractive football will give him a huge 'temporary' boost in popularity. My own thinking is that any team that really wants it more will get the best of a BFS team mate, both City and the rs will do in those games and will tonk us, and nea ultimately if that is a difference between him staying or going, rather in reality lose two games than waste another season with the damage long term he will cause to the club. Silva is a strong shout still, would show for once Moshiri isn't 'fickle' as i suspect he actually may be, but from things i heard at the time and subsequently, we did have a genuine interest in Fonseca - although others ultimately got there way because of his lack of 'prem experience', and can see us going back in again in the summer or if we are safe and get rid of sam
It would be bizarre if we get to the summer and Silva is available for nothing if Moshiri didn't act to bring him when he was prepared to pay up to £10M for him months earlier. That would underline what a concern Moshiri is for this football club.

Fonseca - yeah, not a problem with that.

He'll leave in the summer by mutual consent like he did with Palace last year. He's made probably the easiest 9million he'll ever make because we were never really in risk of going down. He's done his best to convince everyone we were in trouble though and thanks to him we just about stayed up. He'll leave in the with his glorious rep of never going down intact, sit tight for a few months and await the first panic sacking of the new season to happen before thumbing his way through a gravy soaked Jacamo catalogue eyeing up suits fit for a press conference.
Enormously helped in that task by Moshiri pressing the panic button early on Koeman (not that I'm complaining on that score) and then going back to Allardyce after he'd originally been dismissed as not the preferred choice.

This owner is the real problem at the club. He's unbelievable naive and unsuited to dealing with the flesh and blood personalities of this industry. I'm sure he's a whizz at figures in his particular world, but that means f.a. in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back