2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mean we start just 7 days after
I just don’t think the first team players would give 100% in a friendly when they could get injured. This is why young players like Dobbin stand out pre-season because they’re giving their all to prove a point whereas the defenders they’re up against are going through the motions.

If players are really moving slowly or getting out of breath against Fulham then ok I’m gonna hammer them but I don’t want our best players going all out against stoke in a meaningless game, it’s why I don’t care about friendlies at all. I’ve seen us play terrible every friendly and win the first match and look great in friendlies and get beat first game, it means nothing.

I trust Dyche and am sure our problem won’t be fitness this season, it’s not having a striker.

I just don’t think the first team players would give 100% in a friendly when they could get injured. This is why young players like Dobbin stand out pre-season because they’re giving their all to prove a point whereas the defenders they’re up against are going through the motions.

If players are really moving slowly or getting out of breath against Fulham then ok I’m gonna hammer them but I don’t want our best players going all out against stoke in a meaningless game, it’s why I don’t care about friendlies at all. I’ve seen us play terrible every friendly and win the first match and look great in friendlies and get beat first game, it means nothing.

I trust Dyche and am sure our problem won’t be fitness this season, it’s not having a striker.

Yeh I'm not too bothered about pre-season games was just pointing out we're only a week behind them in terms of season start. Players are way more leggy in pre-season games because they train about 10x harder before them than they do during the season.

The game yesterday was played in the context of pre-season though? The period in which they're doing all the fitness work. Very possible that they've been ran into the ground all week to build fitness and then asked to play a game.
That would be more likely if the previous game we looked lightening sharp but we absolutely didn't, so rest isn't an issue this time

Dyche played to try and win every game. Defend first and then break with intent and commit men forward is different than just sitting back with no attack plan like we saw under Allardyce.

We would never have beaten Arsenal or Brighton if Dyche set up for draws in games we were unlikely to win. I never saw us sit back in possession or just clear lines, we always tried to attack when we got on the ball, Dyche is all about quick transition from defence to attack.

Yeah I think that's a bit unfair.

Certainly set up for a 0-0 at Palace but after that I was impressed with the approach to the away games. No one can say just set up for a point at Leicester, could've easily scored 5/6 that night and it was a pinball game. Brighton was a freak result but again look at how it happened, not like the team went 1 up early and then just parked the bus and clung on for dear life, chose moments to attack well and wrapped up the game comfortably.

Even Wolves I liked what I saw in first half hour, they scored against the run of play when Traore should've been fouled on halfway line.

Problem is plenty of the Goodison performances since Arsenal have been underwhelming and that's the issue that will get the crowd annoyed early on, just clinging onto 1-0 leads for dear life has a limited shelf life as eventually some of those games will become 1-1s or even 1-2 defeats.

It's a ridiculous stat that team only scored more than one goal in any home game last season once (3-0 v Palace) and I don't really see that changing too much with present squad so home games are always going to feel hard fought and think fans want to see some more convincing wins.

I said it right from the start that I didn't like him immediately coming out in the first week and covering for the board and their "hard work" and being "on the phone all weekend". He didn't read the room, even after he knew the feeling towards the board by the fans.

He's doing exactly the same thing now. When was the last time you heard a Premier League manager call the transfer market "tough" after their club is almost £80m to the good in the calendar year (Gordon & Kean) when all we're needing is somebody better than Maupay?

There have been far worse and poorer teams than Everton able to do successful business in the division. Even that big galloot for Forest up front was scoring for fun in the final weeks last season which kept them up.

It’s the biggest job he can get at this stage of his career, so he will try his hardest to make the best of it with what he has.

In truth though, it’s not too dissimilar a situation he had at Burnley.

No money, a very mediocre squad, the only difference being that expectations are a little bit higher here. They shouldn’t be to anybody who looks at it realistically, but there are those who won’t accept it for what it is, so he’s on a hiding to nothing with some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back