2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is. As is Eddie Howe. But people get sniffy at English managers working minor and sometimes major miracles at small or unfashionable clubs. Dyche and Howe were both legitimate options for Everton for a number of managerial vacancies now. But fashion sometimes dictated that inferior alternatives with better PR got the nod instead.

People seem to want stardust rather than hard graft, playing achievements rather than managerial achievements. And they denigrate managerial achievements to elevate the PR option in any comparison of virtues. Hence, we got Lampard instead of the other two.

It's just a pity we've left it this late - arguably too late - to see sense.
To be fair, if you're offered Carlo Ancelotti, you take him.

We'll see how it goes with him, I wasn't very happy with his appointment but I had this idea that he wasn't a very good manager at Burnley. It was only when someone pointed out he got them into Europe and it was only really the last few years they went downhill when he had no investment.

I think he's got a chance of keeping us up but it seems a big job. If he somehow finishes midtable it just shows how bad Frank was.

Frank was the worst.

I was at Voodoo at Le Bateau in about 1995/6 when Josh WInk was DJing, maybe Woany was there too? Salad days.
Loved voodoo

The scene of many an epic night

Never saw Ian woan there as far as I'm aware, however I'm not a reliable witness: while I was quite 'motivated,' Paul Gascoigne and ruud gullit could have gone back to back on the decks and I wouldn't have noticed

Last edited:

The Lampard appointment was nonsensical - said so at the time and made myself really unpopular on Twitter in particular. He had no track record whatsoever at improving a side, which was exactly what we needed and the underlying data (xG etc) at both derby and Chelsea was at best conflicting. Of course you want to give everyone a fair crack of the whip and as long as we stayed up last season I think everything was largely forgiven, but it didn't take long this season to realise that we were badly, badly flawed from a coaching perspective. The underlying data basically predicted what was about to come even though the early results weren't *that* bad.

On Dyche, he absolutely wouldn't have been my first choice as (perhaps naively of me) I didn't (and still don't to a degree) see how he fits with a larger plan Thelwell has supposedly implemented across all the age groups at the club to implement a common approach and style of play. Having said that, of everyone who was linked he easily made the most sense in the short term and where my naivety really probably comes in is me prioritising the longer term plan of the club over the shorter term survival - without the short term survival, the longer term plan probably doesn't exist.

In a way the result and performance on Saturday didn't surprise me, it was pretty much (give or take a few details) what I'd have expected. The crux of it is though that I don't trust this group of players to keep us up under any manager, Dyche included, given their track record and allowing for that I still think another manager might have been better in the longer term. The two bits where I'll be delighted to be proven wrong are firstly keeping us up, if he manages that given where we were before he got here and the transfer window we had, the fella deserves a stand naming after him just for that alone. Then, moving past that, is he the sort of manager who can build something not just in the first team but fitting in with the overall wider strategy of the club - if he does that, I simply put my hands up and admit to ignorance about his abilities. FWIW the interviews I've gone back and watched reveal him to be more intelligent and open-minded about some things than I'd given him credit for, so there's every chance it really is just my ignorance. Proof's in the pudding though. Win on Monday night and I'll probably get on the Dyche bus and conveniently forget all of it.
A very honest post and you can’t beat honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.