2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
The top 4 on the possession stats this season are the top 4 in the league. Sheff Utd are bottom of both. It’s not rocket science to know that in this era of football, possession is king.

I don’t mind Dyche, he generally gets the team organised and drilled, but long term, it just isn’t the way to play football I’m afraid.
They are also the 4 with the most money and best players (Not Villa to be fair but I think Emery is a top quality manager).

They have more possession because they have better players which doesn't just mean they are better at passing it about a bit or play from the back but they are better athletes, win the ball back quicker and indeed get more decisions going their way. It used to be a case of the home teams dictating possession when the game was more equal.

There is a middle ground to be had. Long term isn't that important right now, we cant have a long term if we don't sort the short to medium term first.

Is anybody saying we couldn't be better in ball retention with the current set of players? Like that it's impossible? I think it's a bit of a straw man argument to state that

I think what majority would agree with is, the manager is getting the points needed beyond expectations so they aren't arsed how he does it because we are currently teetering on the brink

Come back in a couple years with talk of style and progression

Is anybody saying we couldn't be better in ball retention with the current set of players? Like that it's impossible? I think it's a bit of a straw man argument to state that

I think what majority would agree with is, the manager is getting the points needed beyond expectations so they aren't arsed how he does it because we are currently teetering on the brink

Come back in a couple years with talk of style and progression

I'm sure we could be better in possessing the ball with this set of players, I don't think we could be more successful.

Agreed, this isn't the style and progression era of Everton Football Club. Given the financial difficulties, we're years from that.

I have literally said the exact thing you are saying!

"We are better as a club when we are battlers with a bit of graft and ability."

That's the same thing! It's why I mentioned ability. We have always played better when we are angry.

Interesting that you say the game is changing yet hark back to teams from up to 50 years ago though?

We don't remotely play in the mixer hoofball under Dyche by the way. Never have done.
well we do imo, more goals from set pieces than from open play. If the manager is consistently screaming at the keeper to boot it long. What wound you call that?

Dyche's Everton put 5 past Brighton so I'm not sure what your point is.
That’s proved to be a one of game out of 40 and actually if you look at that game we had 5 shots on target and for 20mins in the second half we got battered, Pickford and Poor finishing, made sure we weren’t biting our nails in the last 20.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.webp
    IMG_1051.webp
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
well we do imo, more goals from set pieces than from open play. If the manager is consistently screaming at the keeper to boot it long. What wound you call that?
A figment of your imagination based on preconceived notions?

We play out from the back just as often. The keeper booting it long is a Pickford thing more than anything.

A figment of your imagination based on preconceived notions?

We play out from the back just as often. The keeper booting it long is a Pickford thing more than anything.
A figment of my imagination and yet you think we play out from the back under dyche 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 that’s brilliant. I’ve seen it at the games and on tv. He was screaming at the keeper to boot it long v Doncaster, yes the bottom of div 2 and they’re playing more football than dyche’s everton utterly embarrassing. But you believe what you want and you’re just another one if these braindead fans who think 52yr old dyche is going to change his style.

And if the managers didn’t want Pickford to boot it long he’d tell him not to

Double what we had, they didn’t sit back after scoring 1 goal and hoping to see it out and defend for their lives

Now we're moving the goal posts?

Generally the best teams have the most possession, because they have the best players. This is not some sort of transformation from 10 years ago, it has been this way for quite some time. It's folly to suggest there's only one way to play the game.

We are clearly not one of the best teams in the league. If we tried to play this way, we would be crushed.

We have been successful with the players we have and the method we have been playing. In reality, we are above Fulham in the table and two wins from Brighton. That is all that matters at the moment.

They are mid table. If you can’t see the direct correlation between keeping the ball and where you finish in the league, then I can’t help you. It’s not going to be a perfectly straight line.

Alright nark. No need to jump down my throat, I just asked a question as I was interested.

I've no doubt there is a correlation but it's not a hard and fast rule. I'd imagine Brighton are at the top of the possession charts but currently sat mid-table, and I can't imagine a David Moyes West Ham team 7th in the possession table.

It's what you do with the ball, not how much of it you have. I'm sure the more of the ball you have, the more likely you are to get forward and get shots on goal, but it's not that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back