2023/24 Sean Dyche

Stats have their place. The game is so big these days and there is so much money involved and decisions being made can be worth millions of pounds hence the 'eye test' just not being enough and you need something else to back it up, that's just common sense tbh, but there has to be a balance with it. As for Xg well the big issue is that the model used to calculate it treats all players as if they are born equal. We know that football is a game based on individual talent levels and Haaland has a better chance of scoring a goal than the likes of Maupay. It also doesn't take into account the goalkeeper the striker is facing. It's a lot easier to score against Trafford (Burnleys keeper) than say Alison. There is alot more to it than this and there is a good paper online (somewhere) about the good and bad of Xg and it has it's place in the game but aslong as you are aware of how it actually works and what it's flaws are.
Yes, you can't boil everything down to numbers on a screen.

If you could, none of us would watch the sport.

Yes

Almost sure it happened either side of the world cup last season.

Leicester 0-2
Wolves 1-2
Brighton 1-4
Southampton 1-2

We did avoid 5 in a row by beating Arsenal though. But Lampard was sacked due to those defeats, so Dyche should rightly be under a lot of scrutiny. His predecessor was sacked for a very similar run of form.

Dyche has 25 points from his 25 games!
Lampard had 22 from his last 25 games and probably stayed 2 or 3 games too many!

If Lampard wasn't good enough, a 3 point swing from a decent amount of fixtures doesn't change that

Let’s be serious here, if we beat Bournemouth that doesn’t make him the right man for the job. Whether he keeps his job shouldn’t depend on the result of that game or not. The following game is as certain a defeat as you’re going to get in football, so if our owners have any sort of proactive long term vision about them they’ll be scoping out a replacement and getting rid of him after the derby regardless of what our result is against Bournemouth.
I agree. But you know that's what will happen.

If we win we'll likely climb a few places and all will be forgotten.

I hope he can turn this around; he has the firepower now to get better results so there's no excuses in terms of goals scoring...and he's supposed to be able to set up a defence.

Let’s be serious here, if we beat Bournemouth that doesn’t make him the right man for the job. Whether he keeps his job shouldn’t depend on the result of that game or not. The following game is as certain a defeat as you’re going to get in football, so if our owners have any sort of proactive long term vision about them they’ll be scoping out a replacement and getting rid of him after the derby regardless of what our result is against Bournemouth.
100%

That Bournemouth game means nothing in terms of whether Dyche is the right man for the job

He's spent the past year proving he isn't - why would one more game make any difference?

I agree. But you know that's what will happen.

If we win we'll likely climb a few places and all will be forgotten.

I hope he can turn this around; he has the firepower now to get better results so there's no excuses in terms of goals scoring...and he's supposed to be able to set up a defence.
No and No...

He's not good enough and we should sack him now so that we can stay in the PL.

If we lose or draw to Bournemouth, the next manager comes in having to win games against the likes of Man City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool just to get us on an even keel.

Very difficult task...

I agree mate, said the same here.

But how he setup against Luton has really spooked me. Full strength team, he set up how he did, responded how he did, and even how we defended set pieces...

An absolute horror show, and one that is on the manager, IMO.
Its all on the manager for me.

He has had a break from last season and a full pre-season to get implement something into this team and he has failed to do it.
He has zero answers to us going a goal down, none, that's because his teams are set up to be compact, give nothing away and get a goal from a set piece.
That's all he has and if that doesn't work he hasn't got a clue.

The problem is he was praised for almost a decade doing this and he doesnt know anything different.

Funny how is 3 best results as manager here are all teams who are very open and attacking at home Brighton Villa Brentford.
They are basically giving us acres of space and nothing to breakdown because they are high up the pitch.

No and No...

He's not good enough and we should sack him now so that we can stay in the PL.

If we lose or draw to Bournemouth, the next manager comes in having to win games against the likes of Man City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool just to get us on an even keel.

Very difficult task...
That's exactly my thinking - a home loss to Luton effectively puts us in a position of having to get an unlikely away win (say, at a Champions League side) just to keep treading water. The Luton, Wolves and Fulham games should have yielded a bare minimum of 5 pts to allow for predictable losses to top teams.

As well as being a very limited manager, he's also a crashing bore - after that display at the weekend, the only "noise" I want to hear is the slam of the door behind him as he gets his P45. And while I have no idea who could (or would even want to) come in, it's pretty clear that this isn't working, so we have to try something else if we're to survive.

I hope he goes but I can’t see it for a long while. This club dragged out the lamps sacking sacrificing winnable games.

They are utterly incompetent. I’d imagine 777 can influence mosh if it needs doing but wouldn’t hold your breath.

Scary thing is we've had so many of them in the first 7 games.
Bournemouth will test the nerve of many if we get beat. And the luton loss has now made this an absolute must. Personally i dont think the players will handle the pressure. Praying that im wrong like.

That's exactly my thinking - a home loss to Luton effectively puts us in a position of having to get an unlikely away win (say, at a Champions League side) just to keep treading water. The Luton, Wolves and Fulham games should have yielded a bare minimum of 5 pts to allow for predictable losses to top teams.

As well as being a very limited manager, he's also a crashing bore - after that display at the weekend, the only "noise" I want to hear is the slam of the door behind him as he gets his P45. And while I have no idea who could (or would even want to) come in, it's pretty clear that this isn't working, so we have to try something else if we're to survive.
There is never any substance to what he says after a defeat!
Its all comments like ' we need to work on things like that' or ' the marginals weren't there with us today'.

There is never any tactical acumen about what the opposition did or what we can actually do to improve!

Will be talking about noise and changing the story all season and saying look I’ve got them creating all these chances it’s on them to score. Who comes in? In some of the games we’ve lost we have looked better and could of won if we took our chances but also some terrible performances it’s a tough one for me would like him to go but think only a top manager gets these going and not sure we attract anyone in that category.