2023/24 Sean Dyche

Well, he made 5 changes I believe Vs Villa for what was a cup game.

Generally whenever Gana is fit, he starts and I think it's a mistake - compounded when it's alongside Onana. How many times have we had Onana play the number 6 without Gana next to him?

I like Gana but it's either him or Onana IMO. The view Dyche has that Gana and Onana can contribute in the final third isn't ideal.

When you think back one of the first things he did, was bring three into midfield as opposed to what Lampard was doing, Doucoure came in less as a ten and more of an 8 and half, he drops fairly deep to make a three. We were getting over run most games playing Iwobi as a 10.

It was the first thing he changed, it worked and we had a solid base not to get stuffed and the midfield battered.

As you say - maybe it is time to change that. The decision for me is less about Garner and more as Idrissa Vs Onana. Onana was brilliant yesterday, he has that. But he can also not influence a game and go out of it, drift or let him pass it by - maybe it changes if hes given that role - but its a judgement call - maybe the time is now - i think he earned the opportunity yesterday. I agree its one or the other, particularly against the teams you mention.

One thing id say is i think we play fairly open regardless of how many 6's or which 6's we have, our centre backs can easily be got at and we cough up chances. Dont think either have been steller defensively in general play and both arent great defending at set piece's.

Another angle is mind, yesterday was the first time we had Harrsion and McNeill available to start on the flanks, so we didnt need Garner out there as a utility so that creates the dilemma in the centre and competition between the three. Thats the first time we've had that to be fair. Its really good to now have that choice in the squad and competition.

Idrissa hasnt been the same player since hes come back for me, i think hes lost a bit, hes had good patches, but also some terrible ones. Hes a good solid pro mind.

Last edited:
Ill bite, great to have 3 points!!
Bournemouth they are sooo bad!! worse than Luton who were the worse side Ive seen at Goodison in some time.
He got lucky with the Gana injury . Went one up and sat back for 20 minutes stopped the press, Lucky it was this shower. Second goal took a bit of pressure off.
Defensive free kicks and shorts corners omg he is the worst Ive seen. Invites problems in his tactical approach. Interesting how his XG performs over next few games.
Flying the flag of him out.
Saving grace for him as incredibly there are worse sides than us in the league!
Wipes nose . wipes hand across forehead in appreciation .

Has anyone seen the thread on the RS forum about their sleeper cells / long con thing they're doing on here and other Everton forums? They think they're destabilising us by speaking weird rumours etc. We can do it perfectly well on our own, thanks!

Some of the saddest people on the planet but mostly pretty obvious on here with their constant, bizarre negativity.

The mask slips every so often and their amphibious underbelly is exposed. Strike.
Do i need a new tin foil hat?

Let me guess you complained about everyone. Complained when they won, complained when they lost and complained about the next one hired.

I appreciate that there are some of our fans who aren’t happy no matter what.

The problem is, some of fans need to cheer up and get some sunlight
I complained about Benitez Allardyce and Dyche, why do you think that is? One is a horrible kopite and the other 2 are born losers.

Some fans need to cheer up? id guess you're a happy clapper then.
Maybe you're happy just watching a game of football at the weekend and there is nothing wrong with that, but don't have a go at fans for wanting better than what we are getting served up.

Some, actually most fans lives revolve around this football club and maybe you myself and thousands of others have invested our time and hard earned money into following them for decades with very little in return.

Mediocrity is rife right through the club and sadly over the last 20-30 years its become acceptable to our fan base.

I want a manager who isn't a a born loser
A manager who has had success in improving players and teams
A manager who sets a team up to to try and win every game we play

Is that too much to ask for as an Everton fan who have been in top flight football for over 60 years and is around the 6-7th most successful English club?

Rumours at Goodison were that Onana had been benched for being late for training (not sure how true).

Even though I would have Gueye benched its disingenuous to argue that 1x player was responsible for us tallying 25 shots at goal. The difference yesterday was we took our chances unlike against Wolves/Fulham. Even against Luton you had Onana and Gueye wasting numerous chances in the opening 10-15 minutes which probably would have dented Lutons confidence had one gone in.

Gueye played away at Brentford when we also played some top stuff. The reality is we're often a Jekyll and Hyde side as most midtable clubs are. Now Harrison is fit you'll see Garner in the middle more often which is his best position by far.

The worry is I still think at full strength we're a 10th-12th team but a few of our players (including Garner) seem injury prone and a few out will potentially leave us struggling which gives the Lampard Cult an opportunity to get back on his back soon as we lose a game.
Yes I heard the rumors, and, if true, Dyche is even more stubborn than I thought, a fine and a warning would have been appropriate,considering our lack of quality in centre midfield. As to the 25 shots, I totally agree with you, that wasn't the point I was making though, the amount of shots didn't win us the game, the absolute dominance won us the game, we wouldn't have done that with Gueye in for Onana.

This is the thing mate Garner was anonymous before Dyche, its really weird.

Throw in the development of Branthwaite. Chemiti ticking along getting mins. Dobbin given the nod. Simms last season. Patterson got his chance and unfortunately didnt take it - as yet. Also thought Onana had one of his best performances for us yesterday. Young players are being developed, more then under any other manger we've had in recent history. Young Brathwaite bit our hand off during the week for a new deal - i thought that might be problematic - clearly hes happy and feels hes developing.

Hes rescued McNeill who was dog dirt before he arrived, while he looks to have made the right decision on giving Dom time to get "fit" and back to his best in the face of huge pressure, risk and criticism (touches wood).

Yesterday we looked really balanced all available (bar Dele and Coleman) - he built that with Thelwell, there is a plan hes working toward. He saw through a fair few chancers in the summer and they were gone in short order.

I just think some of the stuff is off the wall and based on stereotype or biased opinion developed early as opposed to reality. When you anaylse it there is a lot hes doing thats developing the club and trying to move it forward. Thats a process rather then an event.

Im enjoying it.

Should just pin this at the top of this thread. Can’t be said better than this.

Has anyone seen the thread on the RS forum about their sleeper cells / long con thing they're doing on here and other Everton forums? They think they're destabilising us by speaking weird rumours etc. We can do it perfectly well on our own, thanks!

Some of the saddest people on the planet but mostly pretty obvious on here with their constant, bizarre negativity.

The mask slips every so often and their amphibious underbelly is exposed. Strike.

Normally you need to be likeable and clever to pull it off. They're not, so it's always very obvious. It's essentially spot the weirdo you wouldn't let your kid near, and you know its one of them.

It keeps them away from playgrounds though!

At a corner or set piece, when they've got three men on our LB and one peels off round the back unmarked, why can't he see that? Why doesn't he do anything about it?

Said it in the Midfield thread, the not playing Garner centrally and having to include Onana and Gueye is very Moyes. A few times Moyes stumbled on his best teams after reluctantly changing things up out of necessity.

Think Lescott at left back over Baines because Moyes was worried about aerial threats. Or Arteta wide because he thought he wasn't 'ready' to play centrally.

Rigidity and stubbornness.

The sneaky gets are even wearing blue to blend in my son. Be on your guard everyone.

God bless

1000009455.jpg

Rumours at Goodison were that Onana had been benched for being late for training (not sure how true).

Even though I would have Gueye benched its disingenuous to argue that 1x player was responsible for us tallying 25 shots at goal. The difference yesterday was we took our chances unlike against Wolves/Fulham. Even against Luton you had Onana and Gueye wasting numerous chances in the opening 10-15 minutes which probably would have dented Lutons confidence had one gone in.

Gueye played away at Brentford when we also played some top stuff. The reality is we're often a Jekyll and Hyde side as most midtable clubs are. Now Harrison is fit you'll see Garner in the middle more often which is his best position by far.

The worry is I still think at full strength we're a 10th-12th team but a few of our players (including Garner) seem injury prone and a few out will potentially leave us struggling which gives the Lampard Cult an opportunity to get back on his back soon as we lose a game.
Great post. I too would bench Gueye, but for spells this season acknowledge he's likely gonna be part of plugging gaps and hopefully also closing games out when key players missing.

When you think back one of the first things he did, was bring three into midfield as opposed to what Lampard was doing, Doucoure came in less as a ten and more of an 8 and half, he drops fairly deep to make a three. We were getting over run most games playing Iwobi as a 10.

It was the first thing he changed, it worked and we had a solid base not to get stuffed and the midfield battered.

As you say - maybe it is time to change that. The decision for me is less about Garner and more as Idrissa Vs Onana. Onana was brilliant yesterday, he has that. But he can also not influence a game and go out of it, drift or let him pass it by - maybe it changes if hes given that role - but its a judgement call - maybe the time is now - i think he earned the opportunity yesterday. I agree its one or the other, particularly against the teams you mention.

One thing id say is i think we play fairly open regardless of how many 6's or which 6's we have, our centre backs can easily be got at and we cough up chances. Dont think either have been steller defensively in general play and both arent great defending at set piece's.

Another angle is mind, yesterday was the first time we had Harrsion and McNeill available to start on the flanks, so we didnt need Garner out there as a utility so that creates the dilemma in the centre and competition between the three. Thats the first time we've had that to be fair. Its really good to now have that choice in the squad and competition.

Idrissa hasnt been the same player since hes come back for me, i think hes lost a bit, hes had good patches, but also some terrible ones. Hes a good solid pro mind.
Nailed it.