2023/24 Sean Dyche

It's embarassing that they're all pretending now like there is no way anyone could have anticipated this mess we're in.

Fans had been sounding the alarm since the Kenwright days.

They didn't bother to do their jobs and actually ask the hard questions and do some reporting.

They took everything the club told them at face value and then had a go at the fans every time they wanted someone sacked for their participation in this catastrophe.

It's not fit enough to wipe your arse with.
Completely agree.

A shower of sycophantic cowards for years.

Doesn’t matter who comes up. If you’re getting 40 points in the PL you’re staying up majority of seasons, even 38 is probably doing it most years. Dyche gets that for me no question, especially with another year of bad players out hungrier players in. We can’t afford to sack the one manager who has improved the team year on year since Moyes.

If he takes us backwards next season then fair enough but what if we are safe in mid table, PS&R worries gone, a fit decent squad of players on cheaper wages who actually respect the manager and aren’t trying get him fired all the time. Is that not a better position to then move forward under a different manager in the future?

Have to admit - that 15 game run, really poor lack of goals, and the Chelsea game has shaken my faith in him - otherwise I'd say he was the right person for the situation.

A much stronger character than Lampard and more pragmatic than Benitez - more trustworthy than Allardyce.

I think somebody like Potter would fail in a Moshiri organisation - he would need a lot more internal support, like he had at Brighton.

Branthwaite has benefitted from his safety-first tactics - I think people are forgetting that. Myko has also benefitted.

Change at the top of the club is more urgent than the manager. Get the club sorted and we can take more of a gamble on a manager.

Everyone said the same about Vieira in his first season, and then he had them hurtling to relegation in his second. Glasner can’t become the exemplar just because he’s won two games in a row. The amount of times I’ve heard that about managers who are now fired or have relegated teams.

There’s been 10 wins in 33 games, is that not a win every now and then, it’s almost every 3 games. People have just been bent out of shape by the long winless run in the middle. If we’d won one in the middle of it and lost today then we’d be on the same number of points.

People just get so bizarrely bent out of shape by one off stats or results, the loss at home to Luton, the 6-0 to Chelsea, the winless run. Should just look at the overall season and put over the top outrage aside. It’s a better season than the last two seasons. Progress.

Vieira actually a good comparison to Dyche (don't think anyone ever said that before) when you look at how the fixtures lined up and how the fixture calendar can massively determine a season right at the start of the year. 12 games where Palace didn't win under Vieira:

1713777842279.png

Five draws in there; but find me the game you honestly expect Palace should have won, given the injuries they also had at the time - Hodgson then keeps them up at the back end of the season by playing all the teams around them. It is pretty much exactly as has happened to Dyche this year - really difficult run of games, couple of games that could've been wins turned into draws; likewise draws into losses. Performances then naturally dip because you haven't won in 10 and the confidence of the players is shot.

Underlined bit in the quote is spot on.

Hahahaha i think I’d rather have this seasons attacking options than last

Last season Lampard had Rondon his only for striker first 5 games,
Then he had maupay. I think DCL was available for 2 of the first 13, one being the 3-0 v palace, so you’re talking nonsense

Actually fair enough chaps - I *did* forget how bad Lampard had it first half of last season, the whole debacle of not buying a proper replacement striker, Richarlison replaced by Maupay etc. My bad.

Worth saying though that Dyche did then inherit that frontline as well for the second half of last season, make no signings in Jan, and then go on to keep us up with a better points per game

Have to admit - that 15 game run, really poor lack of goals, and the Chelsea game has shaken my faith in him - otherwise I'd say he was the right person for the situation.

A much stronger character than Lampard and more pragmatic than Benitez - more trustworthy than Allardyce.

I think somebody like Potter would fail in a Moshiri organisation - he would need a lot more internal support, like he had at Brighton.

Branthwaite has benefitted from his safety-first tactics - I think people are forgetting that. Myko has also benefitted.

Change at the top of the club is more urgent than the manager. Get the club sorted and we can take more of a gamble on a manager.

Exactly, we’re in such a mess off the pitch that success at this current moment is just almost an impossibility. The remit had to be to stay in the league until the ownership situation is resolved and the PS&R challenges are flushed through. He’s filled the remit simple as that. When he arrived if you’d said to any Everton fan the next 18 months the football won’t be good but you’ll not only stay up this season, but you’ll stay up the next as well even with two points deductions in the same season, every single Everton fan would have signed up there and then.

As ever though as soon as the job is done there’s those who just want a silver bullet manager to take us back to the top of the game. Dont we all, but for those in the real world one look at the squad tells you this lot aren’t going anywhere quickly under any manager.

Dyche to see us into the new stadium, we get back into compliance with FFP, ownership change and the opportunity for a squad refresh. If we want to change the manager at that point then fine but changing him now is just change for changes sake.

Spot on. Iwobi especially would be absolutely massive in this team, huge engine, creative spark - would give us a totally different dimension; but Dyche had to sell because he was on mega money.

Reasons like this why I can forgive 1 win in 15 for Dyche but not for Lampard and Benitez, who had far better squads and haven't had to cut costs anywhere near as much as Dyche has (in terms of impact on the squad).
Iwobi???? You bevied again

Exactly, we’re in such a mess off the pitch that success at this current moment is just almost an impossibility. The remit had to be to stay in the league until the ownership situation is resolved and the PS&R challenges are flushed through. He’s filled the remit simple as that. When he arrived if you’d said to any Everton fan the next 18 months the football won’t be good but you’ll not only stay up this season, but you’ll stay up the next as well even with two points deductions in the same season, every single Everton fan would have signed up there and then.

As ever though as soon as the job is done there’s those who just want a silver bullet manager to take us back to the top of the game. Dont we all, but for those in the real world one look at the squad tells you this lot aren’t going anywhere quickly under any manager.

Dyche to see us into the new stadium, we get back into compliance with FFP, ownership change and the opportunity for a squad refresh. If we want to change the manager at that point then fine but changing him now is just change for changes sake.

that’s a very good post

I get what you're saying, but with hindsight, this has been one of the worst seasons in premier league history.

Last year finished like this

1000010841.png

This season, there's a good chance that the bottom 4 all finish on less than 30 points.

I get what you're saying, but with hindsight, this has been one of the worst seasons in premier league history.

View attachment 253713

This season, there's a good chance that the bottom 4 all finish on less than 30 points.
Well if the relegation teams are getting more pts in the season you've attached above, you could argue that the teams above were worse than this year.

View attachment 253713

So if we finish with more points than last season (I think possible) despite the 8 points on sanctions, is this a good, mid or bad season for us?

So if we finish with more points than last season (I think possible) despite the 8 points on sanctions, is this a good, mid or bad season for us?
I would never say "good". We have improved, but some of the teams this season are embarrassing. Without the points deductions for forest and us, the relegation battle would be over already. That's not what the league wants, though.

We get that deduction last season, and it's goodnight Vienna.