2023/24 Sean Dyche

…..I don’t think anybody can question Dyche’s defensive strategy, even the selection of Ashley Young;

IMG_8750.jpeg

There have been flashes of good one touchpass and move football, one created a very good goal earlier in the season, too old and brain-addled to remember which one, but about 29 touches.

Against the RS we did a great passing one touch move, I recall people around me expressing shock.

My point is we can do it, we are largely choosing not to do so. Probably 5 years under performance and fear of losing, leads to such caution. Combine our last minute escape last season, points deductions this year and frankly some very poor officiating, one can understand a level of anxiety. Setting us up “not to lose” creates an aura of anxiety.

Dyche is not long term, for sure, but he is creating a club atmosphere and team culture - something we need in place before we move forward.

Personally, I will be more patient, despite expressing my knee-jerk sack him post after Chelsea.

Most Skunks I know (I live near Newcastle) are perfectly happy with this season as consolidation after a season of overachieving. They have been rank for a long time and most of them know it despite the image our fans have of them.
It's what I heard too. In most cases these are internet fans that are always complaining no matter what happens. Mostly grumpy people that let off their dissatisfaction of life and some anonymous trolls that could be fan any team or just try to hate.

All I’m saying is it should be the long term aim should we get out of the mess.

A new stadium should be the catalyst for the club itself to change for the better. Something all the fans can be excited for.

I don’t disagree with the Theroy mate. I just don’t think it’s reslistic.

We hit the jackpot producing Gordon and Branthwaite, they both should have been the cornerstone of the club for a decade to be built around, saved the clubs 10s of millions, if not 100s. But no we turn them for greasy money that goes into black hole. While other club and our former rivals reap the benifit and continue to improve beyond us.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying the club is so devoid of competence and strategy, that it’s not going to happen. It can’t.

The tipping point in terms of change happens when you say no, to selling your best young players - like Spurs did with Kane and actually start to add to it.

If I had my way, I’m keeping Branthwaite, don’t care how much money we loose, or if we get another 4 point deduction, still think in the long run he’s worth more then that to us.

It won’t happen like, but that’s what I would do.

And this all comes down to lack of training ground work. Its muscle memory when you constantly work on patterns of play at the top level; Player A passes to Player B, Player C overlaps Player C and Player B feeds Player D.

We fumble around because players are told to hold certain positions for defensive solidarity off the ball. Fullbacks rarely support the wingers, the 2 holding midfielders rarely drive past Doucoure. We rarely overload certain areas of the pitch, creating a 2 v 3 scenario. Because they’re his tactics, tactics he’s employed at every club

Not taking away from the win, but you could see this against Forest. McNeil was tucked in, a lot, almost has a number 10, but Mykolenko rarely went past the halfway line, think he put 1 cross in.

So I simply do not buy poor player shout as a reason why professional footballers cannot pass and move. Are they poor compared to the top 6 teams; yes. But a large majority of our team get into all the starting 11 of almost everyone around us, with ease.

If he stays beyond the summer, let’s see if he’s as good of a coach as people think he is next season. Let’s see if he can combine a defensive unit with a dangerous attack. Let’s see if he can improve on his 0.8 goals per game output, because if he does we’ll be a half decent side.

If he doesn’t then it’ll be pretty much the same way of playing the game on very, very fine margins, which is very dangerous in the PL and eventually caught up with him at Burnley, and almost us this season
I don't really agree I think we have players who lack technical ability you look at Gomes for example who is having the same level of training every day he is capable of finding space and weighting his passes and keeping the ball under control but the likes of Doucoure and Beto are just all arms and legs their first touch bounces off them and they can't find a blue shirt with a pass some of these players have played under Carlo Ancelotti and looked exactly the same and he adopted similar tactics a lot of the time I assume for the same reason - because he got more of them doing that than he would by asking them to play football. I'm not saying it to defend Dyche he is what he is I agree that they're not totally incapable of it and that this is how he'd play anyway but I think you're massively overestimating how good some of them are at this level and also how easy it is to make them better.

You really think he will change his approach. You maybe right, but I will be amazed. I don’t even see him giving a kid a chance in the last couple of games if we’re safe, say Hunt, who has been on the bench for months

Did you appreciate the way weve played when its been high tempo football?

Thats the approach i expect him to have in every game...a throwback to better times.

Hes now got some room to see what the players can do.

Did anyone watch Brighton last night vs City playing lovely triangles in there own box, playing 26 passes and not getting out of there own half? We are told now that this is proper football? Not for me, it was stupid and pointless the only way that stuff works is if you have world class forwards. I have no interest in watching my team play 30 passes in our own half, give me Wednesday night anytime.

We’ve won as many games as Brighton in the league this season.

Just saying. ;)

We played actually coherently well and with a plan from the start for the 1st time this year and people have instantly forgotten the last 5 months and want him in for good/long term.

lol
Even Joe Thomas at
The echo was talking about him leading us into BMD. The nonsense Chris Beasley was posting last week
The echo journalists haven’t got an ambitious bone in their bodies.
I used to get the echo years ago and read on line ans it’s been the same for years, ours excepting mediocrity, while the red journos Fighting their corner and expecting the best for their club.

I don’t disagree with the Theroy mate. I just don’t think it’s reslistic.

We hit the jackpot producing Gordon and Branthwaite, they both should have been the cornerstone of the club for a decade to be built around, saved the clubs 10s of millions, if not 100s. But no we turn them for greasy money that goes into black hole. While other club and our former rivals reap the benifit and continue to improve beyond us.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying the club is so devoid of competence and strategy, that it’s not going to happen. It can’t.

The tipping point in terms of change happens when you say no, to selling your best young players - like Spurs did with Kane and actually start to add to it.

If I had my way, I’m keeping Branthwaite, don’t care how much money we loose, or if we get another 4 point deduction, still think in the long run he’s worth more then that to us.

It won’t happen like, but that’s what I would do.

I agree with you which is why it’s imperative whoever takes over is substantially more competent and has foresight to achieve the goals I’m talking about.

I still can’t believe people supported that previous board

You really think he will change his approach. You maybe right, but I will be amazed. I don’t even see him giving a kid a chance in the last couple of games if we’re safe, say Hunt, who has been on the bench for months
He's got atleast 9 points that he could get out of our last 4 games!
How much prize money is it per league position?

Also the higher up the table we finish looks good for brand Dyche! Especially if he gets to the end of the season and can say 'its 50 points without deductions'

I don't really agree I think we have players who lack technical ability you look at Gomes for example who is having the same level of training every day he is capable of finding space and weighting his passes and keeping the ball under control but the likes of Doucoure and Beto are just all arms and legs their first touch bounces off them and they can't find a blue shirt with a pass some of these players have played under Carlo Ancelotti and looked exactly the same and he adopted similar tactics a lot of the time I assume for the same reason - because he got more of them doing that than he would by asking them to play football. I'm not saying it to defend Dyche he is what he is I agree that they're not totally incapable of it and that this is how he'd play anyway but I think you're massively overestimating how good some of them are at this level and also how easy it is to make them better.
Ancelotti had a set way of attacking, literally doing what I’m saying Dyche isn’t. We were strong as a defensive unit and the idea was to get the ball to down the wing and throw crosses into Dom. He got 20 goals. We stopped playing when injuries happened

He even had Godfrey at left back in games and even he bombed on to create overloads down the left yet there was enough at the back to hold tight. It was relentless and repetitive every week, but it was during Covid as well so that impacted a lot

But in general we knew we’d be deep, we knew we’d absorb pressure but we also knew when we broke the aim was to get down the wings and get a cross in.

My point is that we don’t know how to attack under Dyche and that is the only thing I’m querying, yet people go back to players abilities.

If you average 0.8 goals over 300 games then you really need to start looking at your own approach to winning games

It’s always the money mate, the money makes the decisions, the board are just an extension of the shareholders.

And we need people to spend it wisely. Not scattergun like we have in the past.

Something has to give here eventually and it has to be for the better otherwise what’s the point mate