2024/25 Sean Dyche

Morning all. I truly believe we have some quality players who could, in a different system, under a better manager play decent football and finish mid-table quite comfortably.

I’m tired and frustrated watching this negative, anti-football.
It starts from the goalkeeper, who is clearly instructed to play long hopeful balls 75% of the time (he only goes long for England when there’s no other option), constantly launching hopeful balls, giving possession straight back to the opposition so they can build attack after attack.
It’s a never ending cycle, we’re constantly chasing the ball and the players inevitably get tired. We live on scraps and set pieces, eventually get worn down and beaten by better teams, set up to play better quality possession football.

Even if we did manage to somehow hold on and win yesterday, could you as an Everton player really have enjoyed it knowing you were chasing the game and being out played all game. It would be more about relief than satisfaction of getting a deserved win.
I’m not sure I can stomach watching another game with this man in charge, playing this brand of anti-football.

I don’t blame the players. Obviously Keane and Young should be back-up only, but again that’s on Dyche.

My 18yr old lad summed it up perfectly for me.

It didn’t matter that we were two up, the moment they scored, you could see the self belief drain from the players as they think they’re going to concede more.

Last edited:
I can't work out whether Dyche is delusional, or if he is just popcorning everyone. He actually said in his post match that he thought his tactics worked well yesterday. We really should have sacked him for mis conduct over the Patterson incident,we now have a choice, pay a kings ransom to get rid of him, or watch him relegate us in our final season at Goodison.

He's rattled because Dyche is a devout believer in effort beats skill mate.

It's why he likes players that keep trying regardless of performance.

Do t think the players are downing tool or anything close to it, I just think the belief is line with the fans the same, we concede first - we won't come back, we get ahead well struggle to hold the lead.

It's that fine line Dyche walks strategically with his methodology, soon as it cracks then the belief in the players with it crumbles.

Btw I know we disagree but Keane is the one player I'd never have close to an Everton shirt again. I don't care on individual performance at this point even, the collective defence and team is massively effected when he plays, the stats on this simply are too conclusive mate. When he plays we concede at triple the rate and are exponentially likely to have a defensive collapse (3 or more conceded).

All of this.

Can't stand how tired we are in the last 20 mind due to off the ball running. It's must be heart breaking for our players not to actually play football at all. I've seen league one players pass the ball better then us. If he going to run our players ragged then use 5 subs to replace the players on their knees from running all game.

This type of footy can work, if the players have the fitness levels capable of sustaining this type of footy for the whole game.

When you’re pre season consisted of walking football against pub teams from Andorra, it’s hardly surprising that the players legs are gone after 70 minutes.

We shouldn't "take Brighton on the chin"
We should have been out of sight before they scored.

And definitely No to Ndiaye being dropped for Dyche ball.

I've said the same before. I was talking about in context of looking at the 4 games as a whole and the issue of conceding 3 a game.

If you're being "positive" there's only the Spurs game where we gave ourselves zero chance of getting anything.

The biggest problem is he is all about self preservation and stubbornness, which could be catastrophic to a team in our situation. He would sooner see us relegated than put in players like O’Brien and Dixon and they actually improve us and make him look stupid. Personally I find him wildly unprofessional and a bit of a nobhead to be honest.

Sack him before it’s too late.

The biggest problem is he is all about self preservation and stubbornness, which could be catastrophic to a team in our situation. He would sooner see us relegated than put in players like O’Brien and Dixon and they actually improve us and make him look stupid. Personally I find him wildly unprofessional and a bit of a nobhead to be honest.

While I do think this is a wee bit of a stretch, you've hit the nail on the head with the self-preservation and stubbornness. Every manager has it to some extent...

... but his is to the nth degree, and what's worse is that his beloved methodology doesn't hold up to scrutiny. His sarcastic mentioning of Pep said it all to me.

Pep may not use subs, but his style, tactics and mismanagement usually reaps the rewards, so you can to some extent accept or excuse it, whereas Dyche's don't.

How he ever believed that Young at right back is a sensible option, and worse against quick, attacking teams, is beyond the pale. His tactics are pathetic.

There are parts of the Brighton game that bring about optimism, and yes we were much the better team against Bournemouth, but yesterday flattered us.

We were woeful against Spurs, and our tendency to ship numerous goals tells me that there are far more cons than pros, and I can't see that changing soon.

If people think Branthwaite coming in and Keane going out will be the magic fix, they're likely in for a shock, even though it will clearly help.

He’s sounding more and more like Allardyce by the day and seems intent on just digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself with the fans.

When your plan is to concede the ball your subconsciously telling your players they're not good enough to be possession of it....it's pure self sabotage.
Brilliant point. He is basically conceeding that we don't have the players to mix it with any other teams, which is simply not the case! When we are pushing for an equaliser we can match most teams for possession and attacking intent so why wait!

At the squad bonding to Portugal at the start of the year, Dyche slapped Patterson in what he claimed was a 'playful slap on the head'.

Before he admitted it though, it was already a big story in the press so obviously one of the squad or staff members wanted to get it in the public. Tells me that Dyche is not a popular man behind the scenes.

Patterson is frequently praised by his team mates on Everton social media videos, them often saying he's one of the funniest and loudest members of the squad, that they'd choose him if they needed to pick a player to be stranded on a desert island with or whatever, so I deduce he was probably deemed as being 'too loud' at a squad dinner by the manager and was for some reason given a clip round the ear to put him in his place.

You know, when you've got a crap manager that dedicates a whole day to himself in pre-season, then starts every league campaign with pathetic, whimpering starts, it says a lot about the kind of person he is. Add physically assaulting popular players into the mix and it's not a good look. In any other walk of life that's a sackable offence.

When you've got a young lad that has not been any worse than aging players that are constantly being picked ahead of him, seeing backup centre halves played instead of him etc, then learn that the manager picked on him to keep him in line on what was supposed to be a morale building week away for the squad, it all appears to be a bit of a bullying campaign from the manager who would prefer to play his old mates ahead of him despite them absolutely stinking the place out for years.

Thanks for the reply. Concerning. Remember this now but I usually reads the news and never believe this but could explain why Patterson not been used at all.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back