2024/25 Sean Dyche

I feel sorry for Thelwell mate, don't believe he's got anybody above giving him the authority to act.

Truly is a ship without a captain.

….do you not think Thelwell is getting an easy ride in all of this? I think the comparisons were there for all to see last night if posters put the contempt for Keane and Young to one side.

McNeil was awful at LB, Soton were having a free run in the 2nd half getting in behind him (Cornet had him on toast too) and the introduction of Young was necessary and immediately improved us defensively.

The bottom line is, Young is our best back-up option at LB. It’s the reason Dyche picks him, he’s certainly better than McNeil. I agree Young should be nowhere near the team but these are the options Dyche has been given. How many windows has this DoF had to bring in an effective RB option, never mind having a decent LB back-up.

Then it’s Keane v O’Brien, both played last night so the comparison was there to judge. I’m Keane’s biggest critic but I’m not blind to seeing why he’s being selected. It’s not because ‘he’s a pet’ or a ‘favourite’, Keane hardly saw game time last season when Dyche had Branthwaite, Tarkowski and Godfrey to choose from. Keane was MoM for many posters last night. I’d be starting O’Brien but I don’t think it’s a ‘die in a ditch’ selection and I see why Dyche goes with Keane.

Keane and Young shouldn’t be playing, I can’t be having either but I can see why Dyche is selecting them, indeed Young should’ve started last night. As for ‘ship without a captain’, I’d agree with that as soon as Dyche loses the dressing room which I didn’t see at any point last season. He does look rattled at this moment and there’s an inevitability he’ll go if things don’t pick up but I’m still for him.

We disagree fundamentally on this one, I’m actually less convinced with Thelwell, he’s left us exposed in key areas for too long.

….do you not think Thelwell is getting an easy ride in all of this? I think the comparisons were there for all to see last night if posters put the contempt for Keane and Young to one side.

McNeil was awful at LB, Soton were having a free run in the 2nd half getting in behind him (Cornet had him on toast too) and the introduction of Young was necessary and immediately improved us defensively.

The bottom line is, Young is our best back-up option at LB. It’s the reason Dyche picks him, he’s certainly better than McNeil. I agree Young should be nowhere near the team but these are the options Dyche has been given. How many windows has this DoF had to bring in an effective RB option, never mind having a decent LB back-up.

Then it’s Keane v O’Brien, both played last night so the comparison was there to judge. I’m Keane’s biggest critic but I’m not blind to seeing why he’s being selected. It’s not because ‘he’s a pet’ or a ‘favourite’, Keane hardly saw game time last season when Dyche had Branthwaite, Tarkowski and Godfrey to choose from. Keane was MoM for many posters last night. I’d be starting O’Brien but I don’t think it’s a ‘die in a ditch’ selection and I see why Dyche goes with Keane.

Keane and Young shouldn’t be playing, I can’t be having either but I can see why Dyche is selecting them, indeed Young should’ve started last night. As for ‘ship without a captain’, I’d agree with that as soon as Dyche loses the dressing room which I didn’t see at any point last season. He does look rattled at this moment and there’s an inevitability he’ll go if things don’t pick up but I’m still for him.

We disagree fundamentally on this one, I’m actually less convinced with Thelwell, he’s left us exposed in key areas for too long.
Think DoF at Everton has been a poisoned chalice. Hasn’t worked, probably due to having an interfering owner and chairman and now having a board that can’t give a monkeys.

But agree it is criminal we haven’t sorted the full back positions.

I’m not one for changing managers all the time but I think it’s clear we need a change. The performances we’re putting in week in and week out are just not acceptable. I can understand when we lose to teams with better players etc but we’ve been 2-0 up in the last 2 league games and lost, that’s just not acceptable. Clearly whatever message or tactics he’s trying to get over to the players isn’t working.. and I accept that happens at times and can be worked on… but it appears nothing is changing. We go out and give the same weak and timid performance every week…. 10 men behind the ball, sacrifice possession and hope for a breakaway goal or a set piece. It’s like he’s setting up scared to lose rather than trying to win. I think it’s time a new man with new ideas comes on board… I’m under no illusion that we’ll magically transform overnight, any new manager would still have the same squad, but you can never underestimate the effect of a new face in charge and new ways of doing things… what do we have to lose at this point ?

Yes but what has that got to do with us having 25% possession and being dominated by a very poor side at home and thinking hoof ball will win us many games

Define "dominated"?

Passing around the back for 90mins and doing nothing with it? Scoring from a corner? Winning on penalties?

Or having more shots, more corners, better chances, and missing 2 one on ones?

When you say "dominated" you mean "won the possession". Domination is eclipsing the opposition in every department and winning the game.

The minute we had the ball...they got booed for passing it backwards

Last edited:

I’m not one for changing managers all the time but I think it’s clear we need a change. The performances we’re putting in week in and week out are just not acceptable. I can understand when we lose to teams with better players etc but we’ve been 2-0 up in the last 2 league games and lost, that’s just not acceptable. Clearly whatever message or tactics he’s trying to get over to the players isn’t working.. and I accept that happens at times and can be worked on… but it appears nothing is changing. We go out and give the same weak and timid performance every week…. 10 men behind the ball, sacrifice possession and hope for a breakaway goal or a set piece. It’s like he’s setting up scared to lose rather than trying to win. I think it’s time a new man with new ideas comes on board… I’m under no illusion that we’ll magically transform overnight, any new manager would still have the same squad, but you can never underestimate the effect of a new face in charge and new ways of doing things… what do we have to lose at this point ?
Dyche’s game plan only works if you have a solid defence that can soak up pressure and are reasonably clinical at the other end. At the moment we have neither of those things so we really need to change it a little. I imagine the club is expecting an upturn in fortunes when we get players back from injury like Branthwaite and Broja to come in but by then we may already be in serious bother.

5-0 win incoming now I’ve said that!

👍 Your right every cloud doesn't always have that silver lining but .. at least have the nuts to give it ago. Couple of times we played out from the back against villa we played really well didn't recognise the team... Then hoof ball returned and we ship in 3 goals

Dyche’s game plan only works if you have a solid defence that can soak up pressure and are reasonably clinical at the other end. At the moment we have neither of those things so we really need to change it a little. I imagine the club is expecting an upturn in fortunes when we get players back from injury like Branthwaite and Broja to come in but by then we may already be in serious bother.

5-0 win incoming now I’ve said that!
Hahahaha
Dyche !!!!!!
Hahahaha
Game plan ?????
Hahahaha
Get out of town !!!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back