Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2024/25 Sean Dyche

I actually think Newcastle should be miles ahead of us, i actually don think they are, equivalent to the resources invested by both teams and ive thought that in most games we've played against them under Dyche - bar the mauling in his first year.

I actually thought the same at Villa, we were only beaten by a 1 in 100 fluke. But we are capable of competiting with these sides and making the result a jeopardy and taking points. Im realistic in the sense i look at what's been invested - but the fact we can compete means we are progressing and these teams haven't cut us adrift in terms of what we need to shoot at. Its indicative of progress though in the main.

Things are beginning to settle now, players are getting fitters, injuries will clear and we are seeing now a consistency, 3 unbeaten and we need to keep table ticking.

With injuries and illness its been a really unlucky start we've had. Palace is really the only game we;ve had close to a full deck.
I'm looking forward - possibly irrationally! - to Broja's debut.

If we can get 20 games out of him and DCL reacts to that and pulls his finger out we can push up toward and maybe beyond mid-table if we're lucky.

With Ndiaye and McNeil (who looks good in that playmaker role...just needs more of the ball fed to him) I think we'll be more than ok...and we'll beat some very good teams along the way too.

Pragmatism.

Get better players and we can do away with the pragmatism.

And if you think TFG are coming in and spending big money on players straight away you must have rocks in your head.

I am aware that Newcastle will look better technically in 9/10 games. But this squad proved 2-3x this season that they can play solid football.

Crap players equal crap football.

We can keep lambasting manager after manager as much as we want that they should be getting more but sometimes it’s maybe an idea to just give these managers better players.

Guimaraes Tonali Gordon Barnes they’re just a league above quality wise any tbh f we’ve got and they’re not even playing Isaak, even when they do they’ll probably finish about 7th or 8th. We’re a lower mid table squad and that is going to show most games.

You can only use this excuse for so long,

We have added some quality this year. He picks poor starting teams, makes poor subs and doesn’t make the best of what we have,

He should be improving players too.

Our main 15 players are much better than our results show.

I'm looking forward - possibly irrationally! - to Broja's debut.

If we can get 20 games out of him and DCL reacts to that and pulls his finger out we can push up toward and maybe beyond mid-table if we're lucky.

With Ndiaye and McNeil (who looks good in that playmaker role...just needs more of the ball fed to him) I think we'll be more than ok...and we'll beat some very good teams along the way too.

Me too mate, his skill set is going to surprise a few, most as we know have written him off.

My prediction is 10th-12th im going to be disappointed with anything below. The first few games didn't help, injuries and the fact the club have to work right up to deadlines also undermines the start. We're not going to win every game, will need to be pragmatic in a few, but we're a good competitive PL side, we've added more of what we needed creatively.

The challenge for NDiaye and McNeill and i think we saw this yesterday - is teams are now crowding them NDaiye had two on him when he got the ball yesterday and McNeill was sandwiched by a 6 and central defender when he got the ball - teams learn and that a challenge they and we have is to adjust to.

Do feel with a forward with a different skill set to Dom, we would hum better.

Last edited:
I said at half time will he take a favourite off, who’s been poor for lindstrom like the week before, obviously I was joking because we all knew the answer.
Again Harrison and doucoure were terrible, McNeil not much better

Jep, that's sure. Mangala had to be taken off, he looked tired at the start of the 2nd half. We could close the gaps better once he went off, after min 55-60.

We didn't hoof it as much against Palace or Leicester... So was a pretty hard game for anyone that played the CAM role, but McNeil had many bad decisions yesterday as well as Harrison.

This. I'd love the guys who rate Dyche to be really honest and tells us if they enjoy watching his teams play .

I understand why he was appointed and get that all the current owner is interested in is getting to BMD with PL status.

But the terrible football we have to endure really isn't sustainable.

It’s not about rating Dyche or not. It never has been. Same way it wasn’t about Lampard Benitez Ancelotti Allardyce Silva whoever else has managed us.

Its about what is best for the future of the club at different moments in time and what ultimately moves us towards what we all want which is Everton winning trophies playing brilliant football with top managers and top players.

If Sean Dyche had taken over the 13/14 team and had us in 16th place with John Stones launching balls to Lukaku every game I certainly wouldn’t be backing him as a good thing for Everton. However he didn’t take us over then, he took us over when we were in the bottom 3, 18 games left, injuries all over the place, Gordon sold, no replacement, one of the worst squads in the league and confidence absolutely on the floor. He’s what Everton needed then. And I support Everton so I supported Dyche being here at that time.

When Friedkin takes over and hopefully sorts out the finances, and we are generating revenue from the new stadium and can hopefully spend more on finances, we won’t need Sean Dyche again, I don’t want Everton to need Sean Dyche again. I dont even want him here next season to be honest if the takeover has completed and we have transfer funds to refresh the squad.
The second he leaves the club I won’t care what he does for the rest of his career the same way I’ve not cared what any manager does once they leave us. I can’t see anyone on here who is actively supporting Sean Dyche the manager, no one is saying his football is great, they want him to be our long term manager, he can win trophies with us etc. I don’t think anyone has said this. Most people backing Dyche are doing so because it’s been the right thing for Everton over the last couple of seasons, that time is hopefully coming to an end soon though.

There’s very little point trashing him now. He’s done the job we wanted and when we’re playing in the new stadium with hopefully a much better squad and a much better manager it will be thanks to the work he did in his time here keeping the club on a stable footing. It was, and is, always about that bigger picture. I’ll take some unappealing football every day of the week for 2 and a half seasons if the alternative is the very future of the club might have been at risk from relegation, administration, leasing the stadium out, fire sale of assets. Dyche helped the club avoid that domesday scenario which is why I’m grateful for the job he’s done and will wish him well in the summer.

It's almost as though Newcastle are a much better team than us.

They are but the truth lies somewhere in between. A point against Newcastle is a decent result as they're a better side than us and will be competing for the European spots. The flipside is that it is a game at home and it's another game where we set up in fear of the opposition and with them taking the game to us rather than us giving a bit more and showing like we are the home side. We aren't the best team in the league by a long stretch but we do have good attacking players such as Ndiaye and McNeil who can give us more than the tactical shape at home sometimes suggests or gives. Every side can be got at in some shape or form but I don't feel like we push that enough.

Crap players equal crap football.

We can keep lambasting manager after manager as much as we want that they should be getting more but sometimes it’s maybe an idea to just give these managers better players.

Guimaraes Tonali Gordon Barnes they’re just a league above quality wise any tbh f we’ve got and they’re not even playing Isaak, even when they do they’ll probably finish about 7th or 8th. We’re a lower mid table squad and that is going to show most games.

Wasn't impressed with Tonali at all yesterday - granted small sample.

You can only use this excuse for so long,

We have added some quality this year. He picks poor starting teams, makes poor subs and doesn’t make the best of what we have,

He should be improving players too.

Our main 15 players are much better than our results show.

30 years of Everton not winning anything and playing poor football under multiple managers would suggest that saying crap players equals crap football is actually not an excuse and is a fact that actually does endure over a long timeframe. That’s not my opinion, that’s actually just a logical reality evidenced by the teams with lower quality squads being at the bottom of the football pyramid and the teams with all the money being at the top. In fact the causal link between quality of player and quality of football is probably one of the most basic facts of football that has endured since the sport was invented:

30 years of Everton not winning anything and playing poor football under multiple managers would suggest that saying crap players equals crap football is actually not an excuse and is a fact that actually does endure over a long timeframe. That’s not my opinion, that’s actually just a logical reality evidenced by the teams with lower quality squads being at the bottom of the football pyramid and the teams with all the money being at the top. In fact the causal link between quality of player and quality of football is probably one of the most basic facts of football that has endured since the sport was invented:

And budget. ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back