Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Shipbuilding to end in Pompey

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have got no aircraft carriers and half a fleet. Here is the Ark Royal now

article-2401491-1B721B33000005DC-311_970x744.jpg

Makes me laugh all this "nothing to do with the Government". Who cancelled all the orders for ships then?

What a picture that is !!

I can still find my way to the smoking area just looking at it !

Where did you find it Coach ??

It's not the government shutting the factory down though Dave. If the yards were as exceptional as some folks would have you believe, then they'd no doubt have lots of customers from overseas and wouldn't be in this situation. The reality is though that their only customer was the British government.

Not sure British workers building the British armies ships is such a bad thing meself.

Again, true, but its not like the independence referendum is on a knife edge, 'no' has quite a substantial lead, and it's very likely that it will stay that way.

'Losing' Scotland wouldn't be a disaster for the country, it'd be a disaster for Scotland, but the rest of the Union could cope perfectly well without them - it would also help the Tories electorally. And let's be honest, there's no love lost between England and Scotland, so if they did leave it's not like Cameron would be punished come election time.

As for the EU, leaving wouldn't be a disaster, and as with my previous point, we're a pretty eurosceptic country, so Cameron wouldn't be punished if we did leave, because we'd only leave if the electorate voted that way.

Exactly......

From a sentimental point of view it's terribly sad, Pompey is the closest "big town" to where I used to live, used to go to Portsmouth games a lot as a kid too (it was cheap, Div 1, don't judge me ffs). I don't miss the smog and dirty streets, but you associate shipping with Portsmouth, Mary Rose etc, it's crazy to think this will all be a memory.

As far as I know, up here Cammell Laird do repairs to existing ships, as opposed to building more.

At the moment, I think.

I have a sneaky feeling that due to costs nobody ( outside of the UK ) would choose to have their ship built in the UK as it's too expensive

Not sure British workers building the British armies ships is such a bad thing meself.

Don't get me wrong, it would certainly be nice if they could do it, but it 'seems' that the only reason we would choose them is because they're British. If no other organisation (government or otherwise) without those patriotic tendencies decided to buy ships from them that's not a sound basis for a business.

Like Elong though, I lived in Portsmouth for a few years and it is sad that this is happening. Makes you wonder how it could ever get to such a situation.

Christ, that's shocking to see it represented like that.

Is there a similar picture for the RAF cuts?
Dunno but the Tories got rid of more ships than the Argentinians sunk in the Falklands war. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back