Show us your fridge

I sell expensive chocolate for a living, among other things, and chocolate should never be kept in the fridge. It absorbs flavours from other things in the fridge, chilling it stops it releasing the full flavour, much like putting ice in whisky does. It spoils the texture and it causes sugar bloom, which is where condensation dissolves some of the sugar, which re-crystallises, leaving you with a chocolate which is grainy and has a white surface layer. Any creamy, silky textures which you would have otherwise enjoyed are lost, leaving you with hard, granular chocolate.

Stop it.

I sell expensive chocolate for a living, among other things, and chocolate should never be kept in the fridge. It absorbs flavours from other things in the fridge, chilling it stops it releasing the full flavour, much like putting ice in whisky does. It spoils the texture and it causes sugar bloom, which is where condensation dissolves some of the sugar, which re-crystallises, leaving you with a chocolate which is grainy and has a white surface layer. Any creamy, silky textures which you would have otherwise enjoyed are lost, leaving you with hard, granular chocolate.

Stop it.
Good input, decent information.

I will absolutely have whiskey on the rocks (and/or mixed with coke) and keep chocolate in the fridge.

I implore you to stay over at a country that's warm and keep chocolate outside some sort of refrigeration lol

Also you sell it and it gets transported places without any kind of refrigeration or cooling as well? Odd.

I will absolutely have whiskey on the rocks (and/or mixed with coke) and keep chocolate in the fridge.

I implore you to stay over at a country that's warm and keep chocolate outside some sort of refrigeration lol

Also you sell it and it gets transported places without any kind of refrigeration or cooling as well? Odd.
We don't despatch chocolate over the weekend in the summer and I don't leave samples in the car in the summer. I take them in and keep them in a dark cupboard.

Fair enough if you live somewhere with average temperatures over 28 degrees, you're gonna struggle to keep chocolate nice.

Last edited:

Different types with different additives. Some are made to retain shape in hot climates, aus for instance.

v nice, vegemite says not uk but hp does. also, thats a lot of wine ports.
Queensland;
HP availability is the mark of a civilised...well semi civilised in this case, country.
I'm a reformed character, those ports were full back in the day, I'm strictly the odd Kilkenny and a Single Malt now.

Edit; The semi civilised bit ends at Rockhampton - there are no ALDIs north of there

No, it's fine overnight. We don't despatch on a Friday because it'll potentially sit in an environment that's too hot all weekend.

It's not that often that it's too hot in the UK, although obviously this summer was exceptional.
Yeah but say you buy some chocolate, do you leave it out if it's a hot day, just to melt for no reason?* Or a quick stay in the fridge before eventual use/serving?

*I know if you work with and make chocolate you buying chocolate isn't exactly something that happens daily, I'm sure, but just asking lol

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back