Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
We needed that extra m/f player in before this Oviedo injury; without a shadow of a doubt we need at least one in now before the deadline.

If the club aren't bringing in players this week, we can take it that a decision has been made that the injury crisis has scuppered the season and we will regroup for next season.

This is gonna sound perverse.....but at least the injury gives Martinez more scope to force the boards hand, especially as we can't get any more loans

We needed that extra m/f player in before this Oviedo injury; without a shadow of a doubt we need at least one in now before the deadline.

If the club aren't bringing in players this week, we can take it that a decision has been made that the injury crisis has scuppered the season and we will regroup for next season.

Yeah my point was instead of getting a utility midfielder for 2/3 mill maybe now we need to spend 7-10 mill

This is gonna sound perverse.....but at least the injury gives Martinez more scope to force the boards hand, especially as we can't get any more loans

Not perverse mate, just the reality.

Needs to be one player minimum in by the deadline now, or we're basically hoping that we win the jackpot in terms of injuries for the next four months.

Not perverse mate, just the reality.

Needs to be one player minimum in by the deadline now, or we're basically hoping that we win the jackpot in terms of injuries for the next four months.

As said above: if this window shuts without additions after that latest injury bombshell, you can be sure there's been a decision made to draw a line under this season due to a long (and ever lengthening) injury list.

It's inconceivable we'll go the rest of the season without another couple of short to medium term injuries. The board and manager know this.

I dont really fancy Barry at left back tbh, he's too slow for that these days. And he's too good in central midfield. Play Distin or Hibbo there if need be.
We could do with another central midfielder, but i'd be surprised if one comes in. Maybe if Johnny leaves.

I would get lescott in. Can play LB or CB and is quality in both positions. He and jagielka were the best partnership if seen at everton. We would have a back 6 that would be one of the best in the league IMO.

You'd think if he wants cover he'd go back in for Martins-Indi. Highly rated and can play both LB and CB to cover the Oviedo absence and Heitinga leaving. Having said that do we really need another CB? When everyone is fit (minus Heitinga) we have:

Jags
Distin
Stones
Alcaraz

And then Browning who's highly rated and Duffy who from what I've seen has made a big impact at Yeovil (realise he gave away a pen today). If Browning etc. is going to get a chance in the first team signing more CBs to put in front of him in the pecking order isn't going to help. I feel Oviedo's loss is mainly going to be felt in midfield. Would rather we recalled Garbutt/went after that Scottish lad and try and get in a decent midfielder than lump it all on a CB/LB backup

Jags - First choice
Distin - Last season with us imo
Stones - The future, can push for a start next year
Alcaraz - Unreliable fitness-wise
Duffy - Don't think he'll ever be good enough
Browning - Very young, again, future, and we don't know if he'll make the grade

I think we may see Distin and Duffy gone at the end of the season, so yep, I'd say we do need a new CB.

Martinez will not spend any money this window,
Next summer we will have one senior striker who is in his 30s, injury prone, never scored a goal for us
Nothing guarantees we will be able to get the same quality strikers again on loan, that’s where most of if not all the money will go to, strikers

If, after saying we need a replacement for Gibson because he's long term injured, we dont even get another player in after matters got much worse with this sickener tonight, then my faith in Martinez will be rocked.

We are bare bones again facing the second half of the season.

Jags - First choice
Distin - Last season with us imo
Stones - The future, can push for a start next year
Alcaraz - Unreliable fitness-wise
Duffy - Don't think he'll ever be good enough
Browning - Very young, again, future, and we don't know if he'll make the grade

I think we may see Distin and Duffy gone at the end of the season, so yep, I'd say we do need a new CB.

What do people think of ashley williams? Can see him leaving swansea in the summer...good passer of the ball, played under martinez previously i think? Would slot in to our side i think...for the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back