Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me too (if we are actually in for him)
Has the hallmarks of what we did with arteta. Highly rated player who has lost confidence and stalled, but with huge natural potential and ability if under the right guidance...
We desperately need a lock picker, in a passing sense, in the side. We look remarkably toothless without Barkley on the pitch.

Me too (if we are actually in for him)
Has the hallmarks of what we did with arteta. Highly rated player who has lost confidence and stalled, but with huge natural potential and ability if under the right guidance...

that's not a bad comparison really. cheers mate.

We aren't using Gueye, so that's a bit of a non-sequitur.

Please don't compare our squad's strength to Chelsea's. Please.

The point is that our squad was already thinner than both Chelsea's and Spurs', and it's been further tested with all of these injuries.

I don't expect them to go out and spend 30 million in January, that's foolish. But there are gaping holes in this squad (attacking midfielder, center midfield, fullbacks) that need to be addressed.

Maybe we weren't using Gueye because he's not good enough? Now we have another option in McGeady, so how can that not be an improvement?

Coleman, Distin, Alcaraz, Barkley, Deulofeu and Pienaar will all be back within the next fortnight or so. It makes no sense buying someone to cover for their absence who would be a squad man at best when they return. We don't need to carry as large a squad as Chelsea or Spurs anyway because we're not in European competition.

When Barkley is fit how often would another attacking midfielder get to play? And we'll have three centre midfielders competing for two places when Gibson returns. We have three right backs and ordinarily two left backs. If we hadn't already used our full allocation of loans I think that Martinez would probably have brought players in to offer us a bit more protection but, in the longer term, our squad looks quite healthy.

Ho can you care Chelsea squad strength with Everton's?

To date their squad has fared 7 points better than ours. I would argue that replacing Mata with Sala (a £37m player for one worth £11m) makes them weaker. And I would argue that we're stronger on our dealings. The only thing that matters is the amount of points that each side is capable of picking up between now and the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back