Win the FA Cup or finish 4th in the Premiership

• Win the FA Cup

Votes: 218 74.1%
  • Finish in 4th place

Votes: 76 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't notice that happening in 2005, tbh.

If we aren't in the hunt for the FA Cup (and we haven't reached the LC final) our season ends in January, as it did this season.

I honestly dont get that 33 people out there wouldn't bite hands off for a trophy. That's pretty blase for people that have never sniffed a trophy for 22 years and counting.

I think if we we're only going to qualify for CL that once I'd take the cup win, but if it was the first of many regular top four finishes it would signify our arrival as a top club and I'd prefer that to the trophy for an increasingly meaningless and devalued competition.

I think if we we're only going to qualify for CL that once I'd take the cup win, but if it was the first of many regular top four finishes it would signify our arrival as a top club and I'd prefer that to the trophy for an increasingly meaningless and devalued competition.

The way you signify arrival is by winning something, especially for a side who has gone as long as we have without winning something. Coming top 4 only means the bigger sides had an off season.
As for the cup. the only people who say its devalued are the media, fans of clubs who travel home and away dream of seeing the side pick up a trophy, its what big clubs do. Dreaming of getting into europe is for small clubs who know they cant win something because at some point they will have to play a big side.

FA Cup all day long for me, cup final victories are memorable and stick in the mind. But 4th place finishes, pass, can't remember which year it was.

Either would be nice but I'd like to see us in Champions League as that's where the big clubs hang out also having never been in it before and the degrading of the FA Cup over the years by managers from even small clubs as well as big playing second string teams in all rounds now but imagine getting knocked out in qualifying again that'd be hard to take. For me both Domestic cups are basically second rate now, they've been left behind in terms of desire but would still provide a very welcome trophy and few decent days out and some good memories.

Cup all day long, I remember the days when 4th meant nothing. If we won fa cup and Liverpool came 4th we would have bragging rights all day long.

Champions league does NOTHING for a club getting through the 1 season.

What did it do for Liverpool? Keep Suarez at the club? Attract Alexis Sanchez and other world class players?

What about Leicester?

Fact is to benefit from the top 4 you need to finish in it relatively consistently or at the very least 1 every 3 or 4 seasons.

An FA Cup over a solitary top 4 finish any day of the week for me. Would love to see us lift a trophy again.

But of an odd example using Suarez mate, gecstayed the following year after they won a cup, but left after tgexseason they finished second, so exactly the opposite of what your arguing, stayed with no CL footy on offer, left when they had it...

4th place in the CL gives you an opportunity to try to qualify for the CL group stages.
Winning the F.A CUP is having a trophy in your cabinet. No brainer for me.

Ratcliffe-84-FA-Cup-1.jpg
h84.jpg
everton-win-the-fa-cup-in-1984-50498956.jpg

We know what happened next...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back