Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

So I've been promoted to a management position

Mate, I’ve been on call since last Monday morning, I have 10 minutes left before I hand over the poisoned chalice to someone else, I have been called at home numerous times every night this week with times ranging from 6pm through to 2.40am , I’ve had :-
1 person with 4 overdose attempts (now in hospital)
1 person with 2 overdose attempts, 1 of them very serious (now in hospital)
1 person very seriously ill after a week on ketamine and cocaine, now on a drip in hospital
1 resident boasting of owning a gun and samurai sword and making threats to shoot the staff … now dealt with by the police after waiting 28 hours for them to turn up
2 under 18,s not returning to the projects so having to be reported to the police as missing
2 sickness absences so having to ring around to arrange shift cover.

It’s my 49th birthday today and tonight I’m going to the local pub, ordering a pint and I’m just going to sit there, staring at it and smiling, because I can 😂
After reading that I'd say it is a well deserved pint!

Mate, I’ve been on call since last Monday morning, I have 10 minutes left before I hand over the poisoned chalice to someone else, I have been called at home numerous times every night this week with times ranging from 6pm through to 2.40am , I’ve had :-
1 person with 4 overdose attempts (now in hospital)
1 person with 2 overdose attempts, 1 of them very serious (now in hospital)
1 person very seriously ill after a week on ketamine and cocaine, now on a drip in hospital
1 resident boasting of owning a gun and samurai sword and making threats to shoot the staff … now dealt with by the police after waiting 28 hours for them to turn up
2 under 18,s not returning to the projects so having to be reported to the police as missing
2 sickness absences so having to ring around to arrange shift cover.

It’s my 49th birthday today and tonight I’m going to the local pub, ordering a pint and I’m just going to sit there, staring at it and smiling, because I can 😂
Are they all Everton fans? Cos this would make sense.

And no, that's not a sexual position and yeah, I can't quite understand how either but I've got to manage a load of people who are at least 1.5 times my age.

I work in the public sector, they're thoroughly decent people so I doubt they'll be voting Tory, so no need to put them all on immediate performance reviews.

What's the best way to prepare myself for this experience, any books or YouTube videos people recommend on leadership?
Rule number 1 - make good decisions
Rule number 2 - refer to Rule number 1

My last job, I got a 2 step promotion to national manager. I didn't make any big changes, let people do what they are good at and guide them through things they are not so good at. Let them fail, but be on hand to guide them to the right decision before it becomes a problem.

Take responsibility if your team does something wrong, make sure the individual gets credit if they do something good.

When it comes to hiring, personality fit is much more important than technical ability.

Enjoy it, and always remember that someone thinks you are the best person for the job.

Be brave in your decision making as well by taking action when you feel it is needed.
My word, and I thought I was bad! You're a wrongun mate!

Does any of your work actually get done?! 😂

Luckily for me after COVID I did this whole budget/expense report on how much money we could save on rent if we reduced our office space and let most of the admin staff work from home, and my CEO bought it line, sinker and hook. ;)

So now I can sit in my kecks, shirtless, and watch a movie while I 'work'. 😘
Just be careful not to go all Lesley Grantham in Teams Meetings

you were promoted because of who you are and what you bring to the table so essentially dont change that. You now arent your charge's friend so you wil have some difficult situations and conversations ahead of you, but always be reasonable. Give those working for you head to make their own mark, as Steve Jobs said, 'we dont hire brilliant people to then tell them what to do'.

Apart from that, never forget, turn it off then then on again.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back