Space and Stuff : It's Big

et-extra-terrestrial.gif
You 'kin horror!

Ouuuch.
TE go home...

Was sitting in my car half an hour ago when I saw a pink rainbow across the night sky. Got out and saw beams of pinks, reds, blues and greens. Only when I looked up the net after I saw that northern lights might be visible tonight. Something I always wanted to see but never thought I would. Absolutely amazing. Phone is crap so didn't get any worthwhile pics. This was the best of the lot Screenshot_20240511-001524~2.webp

Last edited:

County Clare, Republic of Ireland, never seen them this far south.

You usually have to way more north to see the aurora borealis. It's a once in a lifetime type of event lads!

'At any given moment, the sun is ejecting charged particles from its corona, or upper atmosphere, creating the solar wind. When that wind slams into Earth's ionosphere, or upper atmosphere, the aurora is born. In the Northern Hemisphere, the phenomenon is called the northern lights (aurora borealis).

These particles are deflected towards the poles of Earth by our planet's magnetic field and interact with our atmosphere, depositing energy and causing the atmosphere to fluoresce.

The bright colors of the northern lights are dictated by the chemical composition of Earth's atmosphere.' :Blink:

On second thought, that sounds a bit scary... Watch your heads while you're out there boys!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back