Space and Stuff : It's Big

images

Anybody been to a dark sky area? I know there are a few in the US, would like to take my kids and check it out and wondering if anyone has experience/advice on this. Thing about dark skies is they're in the middle of nowhere, so it's hard to find decent lodging for soft, posh people like myself and the entitled rugrats I drag along with me.

Not there, but I wish I was up in the Arches National Park area of Utah. I've driven the I70 East through Utah to Grand Junction, CO. at night and ,f me, you wanna' talk about dark.

Not there, but I wish I was up in the Arches National Park area of Utah. I've driven the I70 East through Utah to Grand Junction, CO. at night and ,f me, you wanna' talk about dark.

Read a book last year by Connor Knighton on the National Parks and 2 things stuck out to me: dark sky areas and extremely quiet areas. I’m sure Arches is dark or near dark. Painted Desert and Big Bend are 2 other NPs listed for dark. Great Sand Dunes is quiet but only in the middle of the dunes—I’ve been there but only on the edge. Isle Royale is quiet and dark I believe—probably very difficult for visitors in this modern era and not just because it’s hard to reach.

Read a book last year by Connor Knighton on the National Parks and 2 things stuck out to me: dark sky areas and extremely quiet areas. I’m sure Arches is dark or near dark. Painted Desert and Big Bend are 2 other NPs listed for dark. Great Sand Dunes is quiet but only in the middle of the dunes—I’ve been there but only on the edge. Isle Royale is quiet and dark I believe—probably very difficult for visitors in this modern era and not just because it’s hard to reach.

The I70, North of Arches NP is unnervingly dark, there's long stretches of nothing and not many folks on the road. I wouldn't want to break down out there.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back