Stadium Thread - ALL Kirkby/Stadium Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirkby town centre is an absolute dump, this stadium will be the best thing that's ever happened to it. They are going to get a brand new shopping bit and everything.

I'm still against it mind.

For Kirkby it would be fantastic. Okay, a few people would get pished off, and I don't blame them being a NIMBY myself, but it would offer some kudos, and it would (hopefully) kick-start some type of regeneration.

I agree with you on Kirkby TC, assuming it hasn't changed in 10 years (last time I was there). So I don't blame Knowsley council for going for this. The government has screwed it since 1979.

Kirkby is a good place, and it deserves to be noticed. But then so are Huyton, St. Helens, Skelmesdale, Newton-Le-Willows and all these other towns surrounding Liverpool.

But we're a big city club. A club with a proud heritage in a city with an equally proud heritage. Liverpool, unlike the above towns, is going places now, and we can't lose our connection to it.

My matchday experience is not being a 2 hour traffic jam. Stop being such a self-centred footy fan, no wonder they are not taken seriously. The local residents don't need the nuisance of a large footy stadium. Best get fans to the door by rapid-transit rail, right into the stadium is best, as Lords are considering. In Lords the fans can stay inside the place. The matchday experience is inside the stadium.

My matchday experience is usually a 16 hour round trip, how self-centred of me! If the stadium is built in Kirkby it won't probably cause a huge change to my round trip time, but will certainly impact markedly on those who are based somewhat more locally. My comments were about the club & the supporters in general, as I don't think the succes of the club is dependant on my individual support so much as the support of the masses of Evertonians who may or may not attend regularly at any new stadium.

Your comment about the match-day experience being centred on the stadium itself is a valid point, but not a consideration that seems to have been planned into the stadium design. The club's idea of after match hospitality seems to be standing in the rain in the station car-park, or a walk to the other side of town - before you can join that 2 hour traffic jam!

You're also correct about the local residents not needing the nuisance of a large footy stadium. The supporters also don't need the inconvenience of the inadequate transport planning for the stadium, or the expected ticket price hikes. The club don't need to borrow huge sums to build a stadium that offers very little if any return & can't be expanded if the club is successful. It makes me wonder who does need this stadium ......

The fact my mates uncles roofing business filled in 150+ holes on the Main Stand roof alone, suggest we need a new stadium.

You can't have people paying today's silly prices for a ticket, and sticking them at the back of the Gwladys where they can see the ankles of players.

The fact my mates uncles roofing business filled in 150+ holes on the Main Stand roof alone, suggest we need a new stadium.

You can't have people paying today's silly prices for a ticket, and sticking them at the back of the Gwladys where they can see the ankles of players.

I don't think anybody's suggesting that we should stay at Goodison Park as it is & just allow it to continue to deteriorate as has largely been allowed by successive Boards for the last few decades. But whether the answer lies at Goodison Park or elsewhere, it sure don't look like it's in Kirkby.

My matchday experience is usually a 16 hour round trip, how self-centred of me! If the stadium is built in Kirkby it won't probably cause a huge change to my round trip time, but will certainly impact markedly on those who are based somewhat more locally. My comments were about the club & the supporters in general, as I don't think the succes of the club is dependant on my individual support so much as the support of the masses of Evertonians who may or may not attend regularly at any new stadium.

Your comment about the match-day experience being centred on the stadium itself is a valid point, but not a consideration that seems to have been planned into the stadium design. The club's idea of after match hospitality seems to be standing in the rain in the station car-park, or a walk to the other side of town - before you can join that 2 hour traffic jam!

You're also correct about the local residents not needing the nuisance of a large footy stadium. The supporters also don't need the inconvenience of the inadequate transport planning for the stadium, or the expected ticket price hikes. The club don't need to borrow huge sums to build a stadium that offers very little if any return & can't be expanded if the club is successful. It makes me wonder who does need this stadium ......

I agree with the issue of transport, but I think wherever we go to we will have these issues, they need to be adressed by the club and Knowsley Council, to improve the Train links and dual carrageway access to cherryfield drive.

However, from the plans that are available on the official website it is clear to me that the new stadium will have large hospitality area within the stadium itself and if you read through the details of the public enquiry, the adjoining retail development will also feature pubs, bars and resturants.

Also the design of the stadium is such that it can easily be expanded by adding extra seating into the corners of the stadium and the corporate hospitality can also be expanded in the south stand as on the drawings it shows an area for "future fit out" (link below)

[media]http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/_files/documents/nov_08/efc__1227007866_SecondFloorRevisedsecond.pdf[/media]

I agree with the issue of transport, but I think wherever we go to we will have these issues, they need to be adressed by the club and Knowsley Council, to improve the Train links and dual carrageway access to cherryfield drive.

However, from the plans that are available on the official website it is clear to me that the new stadium will have large hospitality area within the stadium itself and if you read through the details of the public enquiry, the adjoining retail development will also feature pubs, bars and resturants.

Also the design of the stadium is such that it can easily be expanded by adding extra seating into the corners of the stadium and the corporate hospitality can also be expanded in the south stand as on the drawings it shows an area for "future fit out" (link below)

http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/_files/documents/nov_08/efc__1227007866_SecondFloorRevisedsecond.pdf

How does the rail service improve? Are Railtrack or Merseyrail in a position to lay new lines? As things stand there's no plans for that. The money simply isn't there. Not even the Headbolt Lane station will be improved. Only a refit of Kirkby station with the addition of a 'holding pen' is in the plans. Merseytram? Forget it.

Egress from the stadium is a massive headache, which is why the club and its partners were talking about holding back a % of the crowd in the stadium for a lengthy period after a game - such is the bottleneck with available transport.

The facilities dont work. It's all ad hoc. The thinking is: 'we'll iron out these problems over the coming years'. A pathetic plan agreed to by a club board willing to take just about anything Tesco and Knowsley care to throw at them in order to get a subsidised stadium that'll increase their share value overnight.

http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/_files/documents/nov_08/efc__1227007866_SecondFloorRevisedsecond.pdf

How about if we locate our stadium in an area of the city used to handling tens of thousands of supporters nearly every week, often more than once a week? Like the area we're currently located in!

The tranport issues won't be adequately addressed because there isn't enough regular use of any increased transport capacity to justify the expense involved.

Where is the large hospitality area in the stadium & how many thousands of supporters will it hold - in addition to any corporate hospitality, of course? Nobody is going to build sufficient bars & restaurants in a new retail park for tens of thousands of extra people who are only going to be there about 20 or so times a year.

If the transport "plan" proves to be inadequate the capacity of the stadium will be capped & so there'll be no need to fill in the corners for additional seating & no revenue to fund further stadium development - or indeed, squad development, even though that's the reason we were given for moving to Kirkby in the first place!

Last edited:

Oh No!!! Not old one. A new stadium with top class facilities and ease of access will attract a hell of lot more than a crock like GP. Highbury was about the same size as GP and look what they get at the Emirates. They are sorry they have had a 70,000 seater now.

Good point. The rapid-transit Merseyrail station needs to be diverted to the stadium, or the stadium to it, and throughput increased to 30,000 per hour. Rapid-transit should be a pre-cursor. Those noddy trams that are now not going to be built, and the club and Kirkby were lauding as answering the transport problem, would do nothing and are so slow it is a joke. They beat the bus to Liverpool centre by 5 minutes.

Not a valid point.

Good point.

The stadium needs to expand to 70,000 plus if need be and have a rapid-transit rail station near. With the station and expansion the project is a no-goer, people will spend hours in jams going to and from game.

I have nothing against Kirkby as a location, These three points need to there, otherwise a failure.

• Expansion to 70,000 plus
  • Adjacent or integrated Rapid-transit rail station shifting 30-40,000 per hour
  • Other non-football events staged

Have you asked Everton if they can change it for expansion to 70,000 plus? I'm not aware of a valid reason why they can't change to expand to that. We should be aiming high. If Kirkby happens then I will still want us to strive to be the best

Have you asked Everton if they can change it for expansion to 70,000 plus? I'm not aware of a valid reason why they can't change to expand to that. We should be aiming high. If Kirkby happens then I will still want us to strive to be the best

it's all been covered in the public inquiry thingy, none of the points highlighted in the post you quote will apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back