Starting 11 - who misses out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully fit squad you say, we will play whoever's fit, it's the Everton way. How could we even think about dropping a fully fit on form Doucoure ? Just shows though next two signings have to be a defensive mid and a big, strong fast Centre half.

Think we'll play a 433 most of the time but I know Frank likes to use a diamond at times too so it gives us a lot more options and flexibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see this at times with the width coming from the full backs. Unfortunately it takes out arguably our two best players this season though in Gray and Gordon:

View attachment 154404

I was thinking this team may be a good shout. Just a shame it doesn’t use wingers seeing as we have 5.

….Gray is looking a bit off the pace to me, I wouldn’t have started him against Villa but used him as impact off the bench. Hopefully The Lampard appointment recharges his batteries.

Yes, the $64,000 question is what Lampard will do at LB and RB. Playing the kids is his style, but we also have to stay up first, which requires winning a bunch of the upcoming games against the bottom half.
Exactly, also hate the term ‘backup’ or ‘he’s just a squad player’. they’re going to be playing a lot more than you might want, they need to be good enough.

….Gray is looking a bit off the pace to me, I wouldn’t have started him against Villa but used him as impact off the bench. Hopefully The Lampard appointment recharges his batteries.
He could barely walk at the end of the cup game, hopefully he’s recovered now.

There is a real chance to mix and match with some good players available to come off the bench now. No need to knacker everybody out.

Fully fit, I'd go for:

Pickford
Patterson Mina Godfrey Myko
Allan Doucoure
Rich Alli Gray
DCL

Subs: Begovic, Coleman, Keane, VdB, Gordon, Townsend, Dobbin. Gordon first off the bench every game, rotating with Gray/Rich.

Don't want to see Rondon, Iwobi, Delph, Tosun, Lonergan or Kenny in any match day squads.

You can't do that. No threat on the right at all.
I mean, you can, but you're depending on Coleman producing balls like that give-and-go special with Rodriguez against (I think) Brighton at home last season. This does not seem like a high percentage play, considering how rarely he produces passes like that.

The Lego pieces in the box still don't fit together all that well. It's better, to be sure. Not getting overrun in midfield all game long would be a nice change of pace, as we'd probably see fewer defensive errors under pressure.

I mean, you can, but you're depending on Coleman producing balls like that give-and-go special with Rodriguez against (I think) Brighton at home last season. This does not seem like a high percentage play, considering how rarely he produces passes like that.

The Lego pieces in the box still don't fit together all that well. It's better, to be sure. Not getting overrun in midfield all game long would be a nice change of pace, as we'd probably see fewer defensive errors under pressure.
I think you can accomplish all of that while just dropping one of the 10s masquerading as 8s and playing a real right wing.

Hopefully we're in the start of an era (despite not having a true DM) of playing a proper 4-3-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back