Votes: 52 6.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 727 84.4%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 82 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? thats pretty surprising i figured most PL clubs these days had a world wide network, especially one who has owners like yours?
We've only just made the step up remember, so it would have been a gradual thing. I know we'd just hired a few more scouts so obviously we were extending that network.

If you read the scouting articles on Sky about us, you get a feel for the constraints we worked under. Just targeting certain leagues because we didn't have the network to cover all of them.

They are really interesting, well worth a read. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9427945/the-science-of-scouting-signings

We've only just made the step up remember, so it would have been a gradual thing. I know we'd just hired a few more scouts so obviously we were extending that network.

If you read the scouting articles on Sky about us, you get a feel for the constraints we worked under. Just targeting certain leagues because we didn't have the network to cover all of them.

They are really interesting, well worth a read. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/9427945/the-science-of-scouting-signings

Nice one mate - will give them a read!

Yes he does pick out obscure players but he also brought Drogba and Zola to chelsea who were already known. We took Vardy and Mahrez when we were in the second tier so obviously our targets were going to be different to that of a premier league club

This for me! im sure after they won the league Leicester were looking at a whole different calibre of players this summer compared to last year!
Mussa wouldnt have joined Leicester last summer no offence but he was being linked with teams in Europe last summer.
We might not have Europe this season but any player looking at Everton this summer must know that we're being optimistic and willing to pay the money to get where we want!

If the deal is done, surely now the club hierarchy will turn their attention to signing players with Walsh's input. Do think things will start moving now!

i for one am pretty pumped about koeman and now walsh, and still not stressed about the lack of transfer activity. we may be setting an example for the future in regards to how clubs conduct their transfer activity. football is at a time where money isnt the be all and end all... it helps dramatically, but without the best admin and best management team, you wont be playing champions league. looks like farhad is doing it his way... not just jumping the gun in terms of the best players available, but securing the best managers, scouts, doctors etc, and laying a foundation for something a little bit more then an 'arabic cash injection'... there has been more talk about a stadium, managers and off the pitch additions to the club then any players so far, and even though a signing or two would be nice, i am honestly delighted with the progress our club has made since anfield last season... dont get upset, and dont spread hate, just be patient, like a game of chess, farhad seems to have a dream, and he is putting the pieces together nicely, but not giving away his next move. NO-ONE knows this guys next move, and i love it lol

Hi mate, appreciate your own and @FOXINPEACE I had many similar discussions with Southampton fans re Koeman. You do have to ask why he wanted to leave. I accept that some will just say he is a Judas and gone for the money. That's fair enough. I don't believe it's that at all. Sure the money will be more but Southampton offered to double Koemans wage and I'm sure you'd have moved heaven and earth to keep Walsh. I think there are 2 key factors in the move (which are linked).

Firstly, Everton are a bigger club that Leicester or Southampton. People may want to disregard history but we are. More importantly the plan as laid out by Moshiri is very persuasive. His ambition, wealth, clarity and vision is turning heads. People want to be on board with that. Allied to that, whenever Everton have had finances to compete and a vision we have played a dominant role in English football.

Of course, Everton are a well known solid club. I don't think being a "bigger club" has much to do with it. He's turned down overtures from bigger clubs than Everton before. He didn't kick up a sink when Arsenal wanted him.

I think there are several more important factors, moving back closer to his daughter and the rest of his family is a big one. More money obviously helps, from what we know an "amazing" package he's being offered. Our owners are very rich and have grand plans for us, but they aren't prepared to offer silly money to anyone.

Timing as well is important. He's just won the league here, what more can you ever do? For someone with perhaps 7 years left in football the opportunity to join an exciting new project with the chance to bring a famous old club back to life is an interesting one.

With all due respect, where we are now and where you are aren't too far apart. I don't think just being Everton is enough to pull a manager, a player or anyone else from us. You think Kante would have come Everton if you were the only one to bid?... it's unlikely. A lot of other factors have to fall in line and they have on this one.

Looks like we're laying the groundwork for a long term plan.

Apart from maybe a few big (ish) signings this season it will probably take a few years for it all to come to fruition I guess.

If Koeman can get the big reknowned players and this guy can get the relative unknowns this could be a pretty decent long term strategy.

However this is Everton. So who knows.

Yes he does pick out obscure players but he also brought Drogba and Zola to chelsea who were already known. We took Vardy and Mahrez when we were in the second tier so obviously our targets were going to be different to that of a premier league club

Drogba very similar though as a striker who may not have been on many radars coming so late into football progression wise.

What I meant is half the forum expect all these big name signing and if Walsh signs a random French midfielder , Algerian winger from crap team and a lower league striker then perspective is going to be quite low than signing ones for loads of money.

As this fella knows his stuff with said lower players then it is something to look forward to seeing them develop but if you check the transfer thread out, far too much buying players who are already established and cost loads rather than look for the right players as you have said before.

Of course, Everton are a well known solid club. I don't think being a "bigger club" has much to do with it. He's turned down overtures from bigger clubs than Everton before. He didn't kick up a sink when Arsenal wanted him.

I think there are several more important factors, moving back closer to his daughter and the rest of his family is a big one. More money obviously helps, from what we know an "amazing" package he's being offered. Our owners are very rich and have grand plans for us, but they aren't prepared to offer silly money to anyone.

Timing as well is important. He's just won the league here, what more can you ever do? For someone with perhaps 7 years left in football the opportunity to join an exciting new project with the chance to bring a famous old club back to life is an interesting one.

With all due respect, where we are now and where you are aren't too far apart. I don't think just being Everton is enough to pull a manager, a player or anyone else from us. You think Kante would have come Everton if you were the only one to bid?... it's unlikely. A lot of other factors have to fall in line and they have on this one.

We've only been behaving like the club we are for only a few months now though, give us a couple of years and I think the answer to your last point is yes. Things are hopefully going to change rapidly now, on the field and perception wise, the new stadium alone will turn heads.

Drogba very similar though as a striker who may not have been on many radars coming so late into football progression wise.

What I meant is half the forum expect all these big name signing and if Walsh signs a random French midfielder , Algerian winger from crap team and a lower league striker then perspective is going to be quite low than signing ones for loads of money.

As this fella knows his stuff with said lower players then it is something to look forward to seeing them develop but if you check the transfer thread out, far too much buying players who are already established and cost loads rather than look for the right players as you have said before.
Yeah I get ya. Only time will tell I suppose but I expect him to do a good job at Everton albeit a bit of different one to what he did at Leicester

I don't think despite Moshiris investment, that we are in a position to spend say, £50m , or significantly more, on a single player, unless there is a like-for-like sale for equivalent value, as mooted with Koulibaly/Stones. £30m these days seems to buy a very good player at best, if not exactly "world-class".

What we can do, is source signings for more modest fees whose value then increases significantly, which Walsh did very well at Leicester. They can either be sold for significant profit or remain a vital part of the team. Either scenario is a win-win.

The DoF role is absolutely necessary to allow us level the playing field. There was a list of Chelsea signings in the first season of Abramovichs patronage, 2003, I think, which showed they spent £121m, 13 years ago! Having more money is certainly very welcome, but that figure shows the gap that existed, and still exists, between Everton and the elite cabal. Chelsea could afford a few duds amongst what they spent back then, the big difference between us and them is that I don't think we can afford to sustain "wasting" some or all of the war-chest that is at our disposal this summer. That in part, might also explain the lack of momentum with signings to date. The margin of error is very small and we simply have to be sure we are not repeating Oumar Niasse.

Last edited:
It's easy to say how simple it was for him to scout the likes of Drogba when he is an established player.

But what people forget is the amount of established players who come to England and fail. Who aren't cut out for it or unable to adapt.

It's not just as simple as saying 'he is 27 and plays for Marseille therefore he will definitely be ok for the league'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back