Steven Naismith though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
he made some great runs last night pulling the defenders with him. this season he's improved his awareness around him more. chipping in with goals is a massive bonus

I would never have thought I'd say it but Naismith is probably our best player right now. His movement and finishing are top.
Im starting to think we really missed an opportunity to exploit his partnership with jelavic.

For Cahill I've got:

2004/5 12 in 41 in all competitions for club and country.
2005/6 10 in 43.
2006/7 7 in 22.
2007/8 10 in 28.
2008/9 9 in 40.
2009/10 12 in 48.
2010/11 9 in 28.
2011/12 4 in 42.

source: soccerbase.

Naismith scored in a World Cup qualifier against Croatia, so he's got 10 in 38 this year. If he plays in three of our remaining four games and scores 2 goals he will have equalled Cahill's best-ever season and done it mostly from the bench!!
I'm talking league goals and appearances.

I would never have thought I'd say it but Naismith is probably our best player right now. His movement and finishing are top.
Im starting to think we really missed an opportunity to exploit his partnership with jelavic.

Very good point mate. When both played under Moyes, and even under Roberto, Naismith was launched on the wing. I think CAM: Naismith ST: Jelavic could have worked, but ah well.

Ive come to love our albino scotsman this season, would start him against Utd up front, put Lukaku on the wing and let him run at there left back like they did against arsenal.

or Naismith as sub with Ged. Geds cutback crosses are normally end up just where Naismith does in the box.
if that makes any sense,i can see it working in my mind anyway

Rangers fan here o/

Naismith joined us and immediately got a cruciate injury, his comeback was slow and he looked like he'd never be more than a sub. He picked up every season and by the time he left was on fire, by far the best player we had, a thorn in Celtic's side. When he joined Everton he had a cruciate injury again and its like watching the whole thing over again, he's still not at his best and can get a helluva lot better yet but he seems to be lacking in confidence still and it shows in his first touch.

He will forever be a Judas to Rangers after leaving us in our darkest hour then trying to justify it in a press conference but we all make mistakes, he did give us some good years and players careers aren't long.

I don't think he is anywhere near his best though, hopefully its still there and Everton can get the best from him. Selling Jela before letting the two of them play thru the middle together was a mistake though.

I wish he could receive the ball and turn properly when facing away from goal. Just once Naisy! He instead loves to play the safe pass. It's alright he is blessed with being in the right places even if he bottles it.

It's likely he will never be one of our 'star' players but I feel he will be hugely important next season in particular with European football on the horizon.

He's very much a 'opportunistic' striker. Not very technically gifted but he's clever, frequently gets into the areas where the ball is likely to go. Had 2 or 3 great chances today and with a bit more composure would've had a goal for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back