Votes: 63 21.5%
  • Sniderman

Votes: 59 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didnt get the best out of his players at Wigan

Didn't he? He had the smallest wagebill and squad in the Premier League. When other clubs were paying more and more, he had to cut his wagebill by 22%.

He was still good enough to take his injury-hit team to Wembley and cobble together a formation that was able to match and defeat the wealth of Manchester City.

With declining resources, the outcome for Wigan was inevitable.

Didn't he? He had the smallest wagebill and squad in the Premier League. When other clubs were paying more and more, he had to cut his wagebill by 22%.

He was still good enough to take his injury-hit team to Wembley and cobble together a formation that was able to match and defeat the wealth of Manchester City.

i wouldnt say ineviteble.

For the money that he was selling players for the club could have become self reliant on this developing talent and selling them for huge profit. A long term business model sure but as long as they stayed in the league and as long as they got the tv money flowing in then the club could have really stabilised istself ala West brom have done.

the biggest problem wigan had was that they are a football team in a rugby town. So getting the fan base was near enough impossible.

no, hence why they were relegated and threatened relegation more or less every season. Thats the magic of the fa cup, even poor teams have a chance to win it as history has proven, esp when the top teams in the qualifiers choose to play weakened sides.
With a manager with no plan b, season after season, id say the outcome was inevitable. He had a 28.98% win ratio at Wigan, throughout his time there btw. An awful record.

Last edited:

no, hence why they were relegated and threatened relegation more or less every season. Thats the magic of the fa cup, even poor teams have a chance to win it as history has proven, esp when the top teams in the qualifiers choose to play weakened sides.
With a manager with no plan b, season after season, id say the outcome was inevitable. He had a 28.98% win ratio at Wigan, throughout his time there btw. An awful record.

Most people were surprised to find that Wigan were in the Premier League.

And they stayed there for eight seasons! I wouldn't say that was an awful record.

Still not happy at the gutless roll over job witnessed at Stoke last week. Players destroyed by a system failure. Needs a reboot get some old skool Gola in.

He's being tactful. I'm sure you already know.

Big clubs regularly qualify for the Champions League.
Truly big clubs have 9+ league championships behind them, earned over all bar the last couple of decades. Until two seasons ago Everton had more championships to their name than Chelsea and City (and Spurs) put together.

And they stayed there for eight seasons! I wouldn't say that was an awful record.

who are most people? the season before they were promoted they just missed out on a play off place due to a last minute goal beating them on the last day of the season. The next season they were one of the favourites to go up so it was noreal suprise when they did. o_O

martinez was only in charge from 2010-11 season , as far as im aware, so he can hardly take credit for their '8 seasons ' in the prem .

who are most people? the season before they were promoted they just missed out on a play off place due to a last minute goal beating them on the last day of the season. The next season they were one of the favourites to go up so it was noreal suprise when they did. o_O

Wigan had a fairy tale rise up the leagues.

They are now on their way down. Are you surprised?

No, but contrary to popular beief Martinez played no part in their 'fairytale' rise to the top. he just managed to keep them up for a few years before relegating them.

So you weren't surprised that Wigan went up and you're not surprised that they are going down.

What would it take to surprise you - Wigan winning the FA Cup?

So you weren't surprised that Wigan went up and you're not surprised that they are going down.

What would it take to surprise you - Wigan winning the FA Cup?

you claimed most people were suprised when they went up, you were wrong.
Their FA cup win did suprise me, like most people. Did it not suprise you?
Their relegation didnt suprise me, like most people. Did it suprise you?
Their pending relegation from the Championship doesnt suprise me. I dont know what most people think about that.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back