Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think we need six first team players, give or take and a cheap backup keeper. Did before our squad isn't the problem, it's just the first XI is lacking a creative player and some solidarity in defence.

Ideally we'd ship off Williams, jagielka and mangala and bring in Evans as a leader and then go big on another center back with the exact same characteristics as mangala just minus the donkey aspect. But we could possibly deal with just getting the later and give Keane a go alongside them. We definitely need a pacey left back.

Then in midfield we need a powerful box to box player alongside gana/Rooney and then either siggirdsson/Rooney/Klaassen ahead of them in a three or we actually buy someone for that role, maybe the lad from besiktas as rumoured and then push siggurdsson back out to the left. I like a lot of our wing options tbf, there's great diversity, so we would only need to buy one or possibly none at all and give players like lookman, onyekuru, dowell and vlasic the chance to battle it out and rotate with the weakest one going on loan.

But I also believe we need to spend big on a striker. Nothing against tosun but I think if we really want to target proper success we need a guaranteed 20+ goal man. I would have liked lacazette when he was struggling but he's getting a bit more of a chance in the Europa, I think a cheeky offer to arsenal for the same as what they paid for him would make them think.

Our two best players were from relegation fodder (Gana and Pickford). If we'd have pinched Maguire and Robertson from Hull too, we'd have spent less and had arguably a better defence.
Wouldn't say gana has been one of our best players this season.

What about Keane, Williams, Martina, Bolasie and gylfi? Hardly taken us to the next level.

Using MoSCoW

Must = dominating Centre back
Must = pacey left back
Must = proper engine in midfield
Should = creative midfielder
Should = boss striker
Should = second centre back
Could = another wide midfielder/winger
Would like = backup keeper
Would like = replacing niasse

We're not going to be getting in nine this summer and it won't all be fixed in the next few months but ovee the next two years we should have done all of the above. The musts and shoulds need to be done this summer imo.

Wouldn't say gana has been one of our best players this season.

What about Keane, Williams, Martina, Bolasie and gylfi? Hardly taken us to the next level.

Again, it's down to identifying the right player rather than just dissmissing where they come from.

We picked the wrong ones.

Again, it's down to identifying the right player rather than just dissmissing where they come from.

We picked the wrong ones.
With the exception of a youngster who's come through the ranks at a struggling club (Pickford) most players are in struggling teams because that's their level.

Gylfi moved to spurs and struggled. He's done similar here, although had improved before his injury. I can think of better players to spend 45m on.

Walcott is a good example, he was not a regular starter for arsenal and we picked him up for a decent fee. He's a level above every other player in the team. That's the type of player we should be targeting.

Bare minimum needed 2x CB, new left back, 2 ball playing midfielders, new left winger, creative number 10, another striker.

Could easily make a case for double that aswell, our squads so gash

It's all down to who's the gaffer next season.

Personally, I'd build a team utilises Holgate, Davies, Dowell, Lookman, Vlasic, DCL, Beni, Onreyuku, Browning, Kenny.

You buy some class around those players, bed them in for a season, you'll progress.

With the exception of a youngster who's come through the ranks at a struggling club (Pickford) most players are in struggling teams because that's their level.

Gylfi moved to spurs and struggled. He's done similar here, although had improved before his injury. I can think of better players to spend 45m on.

Walcott is a good example, he was not a regular starter for arsenal and we picked him up for a decent fee. He's a level above every other player in the team. That's the type of player we should be targeting.

Exactly.

Koeman and Walsh didn't have a clue in the window. The Siggurdson and Keane transfers were 100% Koeman wanting us to go all out on players who have a certain set of skills rather than fit in a team.

Generally, I agree with this.

Although I do think Siggurddson is the in the Walcott category. His intelligence in and around the final third is something we have missed severely since his injury, along with his ability to control the ball in tight spaces. Definately took him a little time to settle in but I dont think it's helped anyone the amount of instability at the club and the new faces in at once.

Just because it didnt work at Spurs doesn't mean he can't step up a level. Pienaar was class, we all knew it but it didnt work for him at Spurs who at the time were of the same level of us. Salah did nothing at Chelsea but look at him now.

Exactly.

Koeman and Walsh didn't have a clue in the window. The Siggurdson and Keane transfers were 100% Koeman wanting us to go all out on players who have a certain set of skills rather than fit in a team.

Had no issue with 'certain set of skills' recruitment as that's how you get options and can change play styles. The decision to sign 3 number 10's was nothing short of bizarre though, especially knowing Bolasie was out for some time still.

Had no issue with 'certain set of skills' recruitment as that's how you get options and can change play styles. The decision to sign 3 number 10's was nothing short of bizarre though, especially knowing Bolasie was out for some time still.

I did. He bought Siggurdson to replace Barkley based solely on the fact he covers more ground and scores set pieces. Completely missing the fact that he lost Barkley's creativity in open play and ability to carry the ball.

He bought Keane because he was a no nonsense defender who was good in the air at Burnley. Completely missing the fact he's mentally not strong enough and isn't "aggressive".

He bought Klassen that looked like a favour for his old club, not knowing where he would fit in. He's not a number 10 and not robust in the premiership to be a CM - hence why Beni and Davies jumped ahead of him.

Shambolic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back