Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford
Coleman Keane [New CB] [New LB]
[New DM]
Walcott Sigurdsson [New LW]
Tuson [New CF]

So much rebuilding required for this team in the summer. We’re going to have to spend another £150m+

Can’t see us getting much money for the players we want to lose either.

Bertrand (LB)
Shaqiri (LM)

Pickford
[New DM]
Tuson [New CF]

So much rebuilding required for this team in the summer. We’re going to have to spend another £150m+

Happen we can reduce that figure by moving on some crap. What ever we get will help.

OUTS

The whole lot of em bar Coleman and Pickford.

IN

Forsberg, we'll be grand with them 3.

Gonna take more than one window to fix this but hopefully progress is made this coming one, can't be having another summer of poor business.

Its totally unrealistic to assume we can fix this utter mess in 1 or 2 windows, im sorry but we need major surgery, I get that we tried that this Summer, but we didnt buy the right players at all, we need somebody to build an actual squad.

For me its this simple, the following players should be retained :

Pickford
Coleman
Baines
Holgate
Keane
Gana
Davies
Walcott
Tosun
Iceland
Klaassen
Lookman
Vlasic
JJK
DCL
Robinson
Beni
Besic
Dowell

Anybody 22 or under on this list should go on loan, bar Holgate, we can work with him.

Everybody else needs punting.

Punt Besic and Klaassen...keep Jagielka and Rooney in the squad just to add some 'coaching' and 'mentorship' and bring along the youngsters. Unlkely to get on the pitch other than cameos but could be worth it for a season and negates us needing to sign 4th choice players.

Why do we keep Klassen again?

Cos he's not suited to the league :o

Can we sell Rooney? Tired of seeing him pass straight to the oppo.

Id keep Baines Jags and Rooney just to help bring the young lads on for one more season.

That way we just need 5 players not 8

Why you want to buy a player who has played almost entirely as a right winger for years and play him on the left for mert?

Not even going into the fact he is a pure MotD once every 3 weeks player.

Perhaps he enjoys watching MOTD?

Let him enjoy his simple pleasures...

lol

Anyone can see he has huge potential? Even tho Zat then follows that by saying "I didn't a first" . So anyone can see it, it's so obvious , even tho zat didn't and tbh I don't see it eityer

err yeah at first when he had his first few games.

Dearie me...EVERY SINGLE MANAGER HE CAN POSSIBLY PLAY FOR SELECTS HIM....

lol

Its totally unrealistic to assume we can fix this utter mess in 1 or 2 windows, im sorry but we need major surgery, I get that we tried that this Summer, but we didnt buy the right players at all, we need somebody to build an actual squad.

For me its this simple, the following players should be retained :

Pickford
Coleman
Baines
Holgate
Keane
Gana
Davies
Walcott
Tosun
Iceland
Klaassen
Lookman
Vlasic
JJK
DCL
Robinson
Beni
Besic
Dowell

Anybody 22 or under on this list should go on loan, bar Holgate, we can work with him.

Everybody else needs punting.

REALISTICALLY For the first team we need:
Left Back ✔️
Centre Back ✔️
Defensive Midfielder ✔️
Creative Midfielder ✔️

For the squad we need:
Backup Goalkeeper ✔️
Backup Striker ✔️

We have the likes of Dowell, Besic, Browning, Galloway, Sandro, Mirallas, Pennington, Lookman and Onyekuru on loan who have played some part of first team football so the squad is big enough but not as talented.

The new manager will need to ship out a few of the deadwood like:
Williams
Martina
Niasse.

We have questions about Schneiderlin, Vlasic, Klaassen and Funes Mori - will they add to the squad or time to move on.

Squad 2018/2019 (17 players)

Pickford/Steklenburg

Coleman/Kenny
Baines
Holgate/Keane/Jagielka

Gueye/Davies/Baningime
Sigurdsson/Rooney
Walcott/Bolasie

Tosun/Calvert-Lewin

Need 2 new cb's IMO and a left sided winger/wide forward type on top of what you said mate

The hope is that Brands is effectively already working on players - including a couple on a free like Ozyakrup and that he has some idea on if some players have buy outs like Lozano at PSV etc... cos i don't see us being willing/able to sink 200m more into this team...

While there's numerous positions that need addressing and certain individuals whose future is questionable, realistically we need to prioritise.

For me, that would be first and foremost looking at significant purchases regarding:
  • a quality, imposing centre back,
  • one or more player with creativity in the centre of the midfield that will enable forward play and improved tempo,
  • a quality striker (hopefully proven),
When you consider our first XI this is where we are significantly falling short and especially with our lack of creativity or intensity in the middle.

Our transfer policy in the Summer was fragmented at best (if not ad hoc), so we need to make sure this year that we initially focus on key areas.

Then depending on our outgoings etc., I'd move onto looking at our options on the left (Bolaise urgh) and strengthening our midfield.

Think we need six first team players, give or take and a cheap backup keeper. Did before our squad isn't the problem, it's just the first XI is lacking a creative player and some solidarity in defence.

Ideally we'd ship off Williams, jagielka and mangala and bring in Evans as a leader and then go big on another center back with the exact same characteristics as mangala just minus the donkey aspect. But we could possibly deal with just getting the later and give Keane a go alongside them. We definitely need a pacey left back.

Then in midfield we need a powerful box to box player alongside gana/Rooney and then either siggirdsson/Rooney/Klaassen ahead of them in a three or we actually buy someone for that role, maybe the lad from besiktas as rumoured and then push siggurdsson back out to the left. I like a lot of our wing options tbf, there's great diversity, so we would only need to buy one or possibly none at all and give players like lookman, onyekuru, dowell and vlasic the chance to battle it out and rotate with the weakest one going on loan.

But I also believe we need to spend big on a striker. Nothing against tosun but I think if we really want to target proper success we need a guaranteed 20+ goal man. I would have liked lacazette when he was struggling but he's getting a bit more of a chance in the Europa, I think a cheeky offer to arsenal for the same as what they paid for him would make them think.

Bare minimum needed 2x CB, new left back, 2 ball playing midfielders, new left winger, creative number 10, another striker.

Could easily make a case for double that aswell, our squads so gash

Using MoSCoW

Must = dominating Centre back
Must = pacey left back
Must = proper engine in midfield
Should = creative midfielder
Should = boss striker
Should = second centre back
Could = another wide midfielder/winger
Would like = backup keeper
Would like = replacing niasse

We're not going to be getting in nine this summer and it won't all be fixed in the next few months but ovee the next two years we should have done all of the above. The musts and shoulds need to be done this summer imo.

It's all down to who's the gaffer next season.

Personally, I'd build a team utilises Holgate, Davies, Dowell, Lookman, Vlasic, DCL, Beni, Onreyuku, Browning, Kenny.

You buy some class around those players, bed them in for a season, you'll progress.

OUTS:
Mirallas
Besic
Garbutt
Cuco
Williams
Jagielka
Schneiderlein
Mccarthy
Bolasie
Browning
Galloway
Henen
Robles
Stekelenburg
Funes Mori
Sandro
Klassen

INS REQUIRED:
Number 2 GK
Centre Back
Left Back
Defensive mid
Ball playing mid
Left sided winger/inside forward
Striker

SACK Walsh

Pickford
[New DM]
Tuson [New CF]

Need a big clear out so the new manager can get plays that can play football. Not the dross that fat sam and koeman call football.

Outs
Robles
Mirallas
Schneiderlin
Williams
Garbutt
Niasse
Bolasie
Sandro
Klaassen
Mccarthy
Besic

Retire
Jags
Baines

Loan out
Davies
Dowell
Dcl

Rooney is a problem as the managers seem to think he has to play and he just isnt good enough to take us forward.

Required
GK back up
LB starter
CB starter
CB backup
DCM starter
ACM preferable better than sigy
LW starter
CF preferable better than tosun

Remaining
Pickford GK
Coleman RB
Kenny RB
Holgate CB
Keane CB
Robinson LB
Gana DCM
Beni DCM
Sig ACM
Vlasic ACM
Walcott RW
Henry O RW
Lookman LW
Tosun CF

GK -- Pickford/Stekelenburg + 1 player

RB -- Coleman/Kenny

CB -- Holgate/Keane/Jagielka + 1 player

LB -- Baines/Connolly + 1 player

DM -- Gana/Baningime

CM -- Davies/Rooney +1 player

LW -- Lookman/Onyekuru

AM -- Sigurdsson/Vlasic

RW -- Walcott/Dowell

CF -- Tosun/DCL + 1 player

Total = 26 players

Gives everyone in the squad game time and with no Europe we can focus on hitting 6/7th place.

That's when we can then aim for a couple of players to push us towards top 4...now is about clearing out the squad and adding quality.

I dont think we need as many players as some think we do. The reality is there are about 4 players that are just dragging the rest of the team down, making their job harder. Its really hard to win ANY games with the likes of Schneiderlin, DCL, and Bolasie in the lineup, and you can probably throw in one of Davies and Rooney if not both. At least those 2 can offer something in their day, but having all of those on the field at the same time is just a disaster.

How many games this season would likely have been won if we had a competent player on the field in place of just ONE of them? But when your midfield is run by Snides, Rooney and Davies, and your finishing is up to Bolasie and DCL, its all a pipe dream. Bring in one top center mid, one top winger, a LB and a top CB, and the rest of the team will look vastly improved.

Starting CB
Starting LB
Starting CM
Starting LM

You're being generous mate

I'd say that would be an absolute bare bones of what we would need - assuming for now Fonseca came in.. would still leave the squad not ideal for the system and would leave us an injury or two away from not able to adequately play that system

Looking at what you say we need i am assuming we'd line up something like this

Pickford
Coleman, Keane - new CB - new CB
Gueye - new cm
new LM - sigurdsson walcott
Tosun

would basically mean our backups in those positions would be Kenny, Holgate, Jagielka, Baines, Baningame, Davies, Vlasic, Rooney Lookman, DCL

a mix of 3 players who look absolutely finished - or will if they have to play any considerable period of games next season (Jags, Baines, Rooney)
and young kids who haven't shown they are of the level required right now and would struggle if they again had to play a prolonged period as a starter.

In reality, in that 'new' starting 11 you'd ideally be wanting the like of Keane, Gueye at least to have someone ahead of them - just look at the rs squad where they have for example Wijnaldum, Milner, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren/Matip as primarily second choice for the positions now

Ideal world what 'should' have happened last season was with the money spent, the players became starting 11 players, the ones they displaced move down to squad and the ones who where squad left the club, then every season as it goes on you take 2-3 of the starters and repeat that process.

We on the other hand are playing a 36yo cb whose been done for 3-4 years, a 33 yo left back whose done for a couple of seasons, a 32yo 'cm' with the legs of a 40yo who even his fans say can't be played besides against bottom half teams at home.

GK -- Pickford/Stekelenburg + 1 player

RB -- Coleman/Kenny

CB -- Holgate/Keane/Jagielka + 1 player

LB -- Baines/Connolly + 1 player

DM -- Gana/Baningime

CM -- Davies/Rooney +1 player

LW -- Lookman/Onyekuru

AM -- Sigurdsson/Vlasic

RW -- Walcott/Dowell

Total = 26 players

Gives everyone in the squad game time and with no Europe we can focus on hitting 6/7th place.

That's when we can then aim for a couple of players to push us towards top 4...now is about clearing out the squad and adding quality.

GK -- Pickford + 2 players

RB -- Coleman/Kenny

CB -- Holgate/Keane + 2 players

LB -- Baines + 1 player

DM -- Gana/Besic +1 player

CM -- +2 players

LW -- Lookman/Onyekuru

AM -- Sigurdsson + 1 Player

RW -- Walcott/Vlasic

Loan out Beni, Davies, Dowell

Stek isnt good enough, swerve the clown, just buy 2 Yoots.
Davies, Dowell and Beni arent the required standard currently, neither is DCL or Holgate, but STs and CBs are massive money.

None of our Central midfielders are the required standard.

If we wish to improve on the 9th we will finish this season we need a min of 10 players, 10 players of a VERY high standard and not a single 1 of them under the age of 25 bar the 2 GKs.

You're being generous mate

I'd say that would be an absolute bare bones of what we would need - assuming for now Fonseca came in.. would still leave the squad not ideal for the system and would leave us an injury or two away from not able to adequately play that system

Looking at what you say we need i am assuming we'd line up something like this

Pickford
Coleman, Keane - new CB - new CB
Gueye - new cm
new LM - sigurdsson walcott
Tosun

would basically mean our backups in those positions would be Kenny, Holgate, Jagielka, Baines, Baningame, Davies, Vlasic, Rooney Lookman, DCL

a mix of 3 players who look absolutely finished - or will if they have to play any considerable period of games next season (Jags, Baines, Rooney)
and young kids who haven't shown they are of the level required right now and would struggle if they again had to play a prolonged period as a starter.

In reality, in that 'new' starting 11 you'd ideally be wanting the like of Keane, Gueye at least to have someone ahead of them - just look at the rs squad where they have for example Wijnaldum, Milner, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren/Matip as primarily second choice for the positions now

Ideal world what 'should' have happened last season was with the money spent, the players became starting 11 players, the ones they displaced move down to squad and the ones who where squad left the club, then every season as it goes on you take 2-3 of the starters and repeat that process.

We on the other hand are playing a 36yo cb whose been done for 3-4 years, a 33 yo left back whose done for a couple of seasons, a 32yo 'cm' with the legs of a 40yo who even his fans say can't be played besides against bottom half teams at home.

I’m just being realistic about what we actually seriously need and can acquire in a WC year. I’m a little hesitant of introducing a ton of new players again. We should only be in the league and 2 cups next season so the starting XI you wrote should stay fit all season ideally. 4 signings then some more in Jan. Sure we need to strengthen the depth but on the bench we have a keeper that will never come on, Keane/RFM (I’d start Holgate), Kenny/Baines etc. I think we have enough in the squad for a decent bench.

Punt Besic and Klaassen...keep Jagielka and Rooney in the squad just to add some 'coaching' and 'mentorship' and bring along the youngsters. Unlkely to get on the pitch other than cameos but could be worth it for a season and negates us needing to sign 4th choice players.

Cos he's not suited to the league :eek:

Id keep Baines Jags and Rooney just to help bring the young lads on for one more season.

That way we just need 5 players not 8

Bolloxs Klaassen isnt suited to the league, how you can tell that from the 3minutes hes played I dont know.

He will likely be sold in the Summer without ever given a chance, I honestly hope he signs for the vermin across the park and terrors us every Derby in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back